Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I've been claiming ESA(employment support allowance) since November 2012, and my local Citizens Advice Bureau have said that they don't think I am eligible to continue receiving this at university.
    Problem is, I am not going to be able to work whilst at university! I know that going to uni in itself is a reason for them to deny it as it is 'work-like'. I'm not going to be able to feed myself without this help!
    Is there anything else that I could apply for? I have been granted DSA without any problem.

Thank you!
    Lu

ReputationRep:
    I get DLA, but not ESA. The way I look at it, is that we are in a much better position financially than a student who has to survive on Student Loans and/or Grants. You will have to draw up a budget plan like I have done. I have got one of those Cashplus cards, and I'm having my Loan and Grant paid onto that. What I'm doing then, is paying myself weekly from that account into my bank account. It will be like I'm getting a weekly wage.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You have to be in receipt of DLA to claim ESA as a full time student. Your student loan will be counted as income for ESA.

ReputationRep:
    ESA is means tested, parts of your loans/ grants will be taken into account when establishing your entitlement. That's in addition to any other household income partner etc. Your income will probably exceed which is why you won't receive it.

There are elements of loans and grants you can get as extra support x

ReputationRep:
    It would be worth speaking to ESA direct to make sure you get the right info x

ReputationRep:
    Good luck trying to get ESA while a student. I have gathered enough evidence to believe that you can be eligible for ESA while a student under certain circumstances but it's like pulling teeth trying to get them to confess this. I spent a whole year trying, phoned them, first they said it wasnt possible then they said it might be, they gave vague replies about needing to see my income first, sent that information, no reply. After all that they eventually gave me £75 pw HB AFTER I dropped out of the course due to financial problems.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    There is contributions based ESA, for which your student finance (all) will be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulluh)
    Hello
    I've been claiming ESA(employment support allowance) since November 2012, and my local Citizens Advice Bureau have said that they don't think I am eligible to continue receiving this at university.
    Problem is, I am not going to be able to work whilst at university! I know that going to uni in itself is a reason for them to deny it as it is 'work-like'. I'm not going to be able to feed myself without this help!
    Is there anything else that I could apply for? I have been granted DSA without any problem.

Thank you!
    Lu
    Most full time students aren't entitled to income-related benefits.

If you're claiming DLA then you may claim for ESA and housing benefit (Local Housing Allowance). If you aren't claiming DLA then I don't think you can.

Or if you are in part-time study you should still be able to claim.

The reason why you will be denied ESA, if you're not claiming DLA, isn't really because it's "work like". It's basically because your student finance is supposed to support you.

However, you shouldn't get into a position where you cannot afford to eat. Budgeting is an important skill all students need, and universities do offer financial support including emergency loans and Access to Learning (with students who have disabilities usually considered a high priority).

ReputationRep:
    Your student loan precludes you from ESA. Students doing full time post grad study (unsupported financially) can get ESA if they are on DLA. They qualify automatically and do not need an interview.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It may also be argued that if you can study full time, you should be able to work full time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balotelli12)
    Your student loan precludes you from ESA. Students doing full time post grad study (unsupported financially) can get ESA if they are on DLA. They qualify automatically and do not need an interview.
    Full-time undergraduate students can also claim ESA, providing they are also claiming DLA.

The student loan will be taken into consideration when calculating entitlement for income-related ESA, and it may be that with student finance, as well as savings, a person may have too much to receive ESA or at least maximum ESA. However, claiming student finance doesn't automatically preclude someone from claiming ESA. It never used to, anyway, and I've never seen anything which suggests this has changed.

Having student finance can automatically preclude a person from claiming Jobseekers Allowance, even if studying part-time, as the student finance is considered sufficient to live on. However, ESA and Jobseekers Allowance are two different benefits with different purposes.

(Original post by OU Student)
    It may also be argued that if you can study full time, you should be able to work full time.
    An argument can be made, especially when it is a vocational course with placements (where you're effectively working part-time, at least for periods) but shouldn't be a problem for people in the work-related group and advice from universities can also be sought.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by balotelli12)
    Your student loan precludes you from ESA.
    Not always. Those receiving the minimum amount, for example, would qualify because their income is too low. And I was able to qualify (although, I never claimed for various reasons) when I received the full loan when I was at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I was also entitled to it (but didn't claim it) and I received the full loan in the year in question.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the answers!
    I'd like to say though that my student loan covers my accommodation with £50 to spare, I have barely any savings and my parents can't support me/I can't support myself with a job due to the disability I have.
    I just honestly don't know how to make ends meet - I've budgeted the heck out of everything but that doesn't negate the fact that there isn't enough coming in in the first place (!)
    Any extra ideas would be hugely appreciated, thank you so much for all responding so quickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulluh)
    Thank you for all the answers!
    I'd like to say though that my student loan covers my accommodation with £50 to spare, I have barely any savings and my parents can't support me/I can't support myself with a job due to the disability I have.
    I just honestly don't know how to make ends meet - I've budgeted the heck out of everything but that doesn't negate the fact that there isn't enough coming in in the first place (!)
    Any extra ideas would be hugely appreciated, thank you so much for all responding so quickly
    Is your accommodation self-catered, or do you need to buy food (as well as books, toiletries and other expenses) with this £50?

University owned accommodation can be quite expensive but you can usually save money in subsequent years in private accommodation, even when bills are taken into account.

Also try and contact the university. They may be able to inform you of bursaries and scholarships you aren't aware of. As mentioned, there is financial support for people who do face financial hardship once at university such as Access or Learning. Students with disabilities, along with a few other groups that are at high risk of leaving courses for financial reasons, are often given priority.

Another thing you can do is apply for DLA/PIP and, if you're successful, you might then be entitled to Local Housing Allowance/Housing Benefit and ESA. However, the application process can be lengthy, stressful and you might not be eligible for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.