Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am a first year law student so I will be applying for vac schemes from October onwards this year.

I could do with some guidance with regards my GCSE results. I got Bs and 2 Cs, not great I know. I don't have any excuse/mitigating circumstance other than the fact that I really didn't like school (who did?!). I've since been described as 'a late developer'!

I had a huge change of attitude when I started my A Levels, ended up with AAA. I am now at Uni of Leicester and in my January exams I got 3 Firsts.

I've been to 7 open days over the last few months (including one MC and various US firms), I'm volunteering at CAB, I've done pro bono work at uni this year, I have 3 legal work experience placements planned (including a mini pupillage - just to show I have looked at my options), I did a work placement at a criminal firm last summer, I will be volunteering at another law centre from October, I'm organising a charity event at a boxing show in August, I play the piano and I'm going to take up French from October.

I'm wondering how much weight my GCSE results will have as I think I am doing everything else right. All the firms speak about consistently high academics so I'm wondering how much it'll effect my chances of getting a vacation scheme. Again, I will be aiming for US type firms I think.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.