Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mildy depressed/bipolar or just extremely moody? Watch

Ok I'm 18 and have my A2 exams coming up soon, so naturally I'm very stressed, as always this time of year. I've always been a very moody person - I get angry and frustrated very easily and will often get it in my head that people that are close to me (friends, family, girlfriend) are being dicks for whatever reason. The next day it's probably all changed and I'm in a great hyper mood.

Whilst I'm pretty sure is just my personality (as much as I hate it), I've started wondering whether it could be something slightly wrong with me. Even not around exams, I'll just feel so down for no apparent reason and feel like I've got nothing to look forward to. For example, I saw my girlfriend a couple of days ago and just felt so dead and empty, and I don't know why - I usually love being around her, but I just hated it. I've sorta been on autopilot for the last couple of days revising but not really taking much in, and I know I'm gonna have the same sort of feeling even after exams have finished.

Then again I know it's not gonna last - even just writing this I feel happier. I don't want to suggest to friends and family that I might be bipolar or something because it seems like I'm just looking for attention, so I don't really know what to do. I've had my 'hate everyone' moody teenager phase, so maybe it's just the remnants of that. I still don't know why I feel so down for no apparent reason though. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated

anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You'd need to list more symptoms than that for anyone to give you any indication. I have bipolar, and if you want to PM me about it, I'm happy to talk to you and tell you what I first noticed etc. From what you've said it's too vague for me to say anything about you

(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    You'd need to list more symptoms than that for anyone to give you any indication. I have bipolar, and if you want to PM me about it, I'm happy to talk to you and tell you what I first noticed etc. From what you've said it's too vague for me to say anything about you
    Thanks for the reply - I may PM you later but I'll try and write here in case it helps anyone else offer advice. It's quite hard to distinguish what may be 'symptoms' from what I'm generally like as a person anyway, but I'll try and write a bit more about myself and see if it helps. It could well not be bipolar, maybe mild depression or just stress, I don't know...

Basically my mood will change many times throughout the day. I woke up today with a completely empty feeling, feeling like I had nothing to look forward to. As someone who is constantly thinking and analysing things, I thought stuff over in my head and convinced myself everything was fine. Then an hour later or so it reverts and I'm feeling awful again, and so the process goes on and on. I don't even know why I feel empty - I'm confident about my exams, I have a great summer planned, should hopefully be off to uni next year - but for some reason I just feel so down.

After a bit of research there a quite a few bipolar symptoms I don't exhibit, in terms of massive energy increases, becoming talkative and restless etc, although others such as changes in self confidence, overreactions to small things (mainly due to thinking them through too much) and the mood changes I have been experiencing for a while.

I think whilst this definitely isn't caused solely by exams, it's been making it worse than usual recently.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see your quote

I can't see your quote
    I just quoted what you said before - can you see my main message?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the reply - I may PM you later but I'll try and write here in case it helps anyone else offer advice. It's quite hard to distinguish what may be 'symptoms' from what I'm generally like as a person anyway, but I'll try and write a bit more about myself and see if it helps. It could well not be bipolar, maybe mild depression or just stress, I don't know...

Basically my mood will change many times throughout the day. I woke up today with a completely empty feeling, feeling like I had nothing to look forward to. As someone who is constantly thinking and analysing things, I thought stuff over in my head and convinced myself everything was fine. Then an hour later or so it reverts and I'm feeling awful again, and so the process goes on and on. I don't even know why I feel empty - I'm confident about my exams, I have a great summer planned, should hopefully be off to uni next year - but for some reason I just feel so down.

After a bit of research there a quite a few bipolar symptoms I don't exhibit, in terms of massive energy increases, becoming talkative and restless etc, although others such as changes in self confidence, overreactions to small things (mainly due to thinking them through too much) and the mood changes I have been experiencing for a while.

I think whilst this definitely isn't caused solely by exams, it's been making it worse than usual recently.
    Bipolar is usually longer than that, however I do get the feeling down, convincing yourself it's okay and then back to down. That's usually showing a depressive phase. From what you've said, there seems to be some low level mood here, but it depends how bad it is. I'd hazard a guess at some form of depression, whether bipolar or not I can't really say without any evidence of manic episodes. I'd advise you go to your GP, although they're usually a bit ****, and tell them how you feel. You'll be able to go ffrom there.

Stress can make any MH condition worse, so that might be why you feel your exams are making it worse.

Bipolar is usually longer than that, however I do get the feeling down, convincing yourself it's okay and then back to down. That's usually showing a depressive phase. From what you've said, there seems to be some low level mood here, but it depends how bad it is. I'd hazard a guess at some form of depression, whether bipolar or not I can't really say without any evidence of manic episodes. I'd advise you go to your GP, although they're usually a bit ****, and tell them how you feel. You'll be able to go ffrom there.

Stress can make any MH condition worse, so that might be why you feel your exams are making it worse.
    Yeah after looking into it a bit more it looks more likely to be some sort of in-out mild depression (or again, just always being stressed) rather than bipolar. I'll try visit my GP in a few days if this phase doesn't pass. Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah after looking into it a bit more it looks more likely to be some sort of in-out mild depression (or again, just always being stressed) rather than bipolar. I'll try visit my GP in a few days if this phase doesn't pass. Thanks for the help.
    Yeah unless there's any marked mania, I'd go with that too. Your GP should be able to refer you to someone who can help you with coping mechanisms so you can learn to manage it, and if it's suitable, prescription antidepressants. If you want to have a chat about it you can still PM me if you like, or pop over to the Mental Health Support society thread. Hope you feel better :jumphug: xx

Honestly, I can relate to that, but I can't bare the thought of having a mental disease like being bipolar.. Some days I wake up extremely happy and nothing can tear me down, while in the next day, for no apparent reason, I feel like I'm a failure, my life has no purpose, I'm awful and I cut myself... Maybe it's just hormonal, but the truth is it happens me every other week and I can't really control it.
    You should talk to someone about it, don't hold it in

I'm having a lot of the same things, in fact you pretty much explained me. However, my moods do last longer, for nearly a month and a half, I've been feeling down. Sometimes I just breakdown crying. Although around February,march I couldn't have been happier. I had such an optimistic outlook, 100% convinced I could reach all my life goals. Now I'm not even sure ill pass my exams or even make it it university. Put on a tone of weight as well.
    People ask whether it could be because of my menstrual cycle, but it always lasts longer that the month and my mood rarely changes throughout the cycle.

Not going to lie, a few days ago I did consider ending it. I'm not ready to see a doctor because I don't want people to judge me or to be called mental.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.