Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I start uni in October at Lancaster (or York but lancaster is more convenient) and was wondering if i can be cheeky and go to other uni's IB career fairs/events that firms go to when I can, in the hope of learning more and possibly getting some form of placement opportunity at the event. Is this possible and a good idea? Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    The main issue you would face is that the universities might require you to bring your student card to get in. I know Warwick does this and it stops people from outside the university coming to the careers fairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    The main issue you would face is that the universities might require you to bring your student card to get in. I know Warwick does this and it stops people from outside the university coming to the careers fairs.
    Yeah i'd imagined this would be the case for many of them tbh. Would be awkward if I went to an Oxford careers fair, for instance, and get asked questions about Oxford, I'd feel like a fraud! Plus it wouldnt get me anywhere really. So yeah probs not the best idea thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    I only know how it works in Germany, but here I have seen a few students from other universities attend IB workshops/events (GS/MS/JPM) at my University. But I have to say theyr were quite outstanding and studied at prestigous Universities with less focus on IB (Engineering, Medicine). Some guy even travelled like 180 km just for a dinner event.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that I have ever seen someone get an internship off the back of a networking event. I think these, dinners, speeches, workshops, etc. are only a way of getting the top students to apply to their firm.

ReputationRep:
    Don't waste your time or money, seriously. It'll hardly affect your chances of getting an offer, unless it's some sort of exclusive dinner etc where you can get proper face-to-face time with IB employees. As opposed to a careers fair or presentation where you're just one face among dozens. And most of these events require some sort of registration and ID check (especially the exclusive ones that are place-limited)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.