Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, obviously, since the film adaption ( which I thought was incredible ) this book has got an awful lot of attention.

What did you guys think of it - the book that is ?

ReputationRep:
    It's one of my favourite books. I'm a committed atheist but I still found its strong religious themes (heavily played-down in the film) rather inspiring, and just thought it was a great all-round, well-written story. The film also left out a couple of my favourite scenes and characters, so even though Lee made a very faithful adaptation there's still something to be gained from reading the book too (aside from the fact that books are always better than the films that are made out of them).

I can thoroughly recommend this edition, even taking into account its hefty price tag – the illustrations that come with the book are amazing on the big pages.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I jumped on the bandwagon for this book prior to the film's release.

I really enjoyed it and found it gripping from start to finish. I particularly enjoyed the conclusion (won't spoil it of course) which I thought added a whole new dimension to the book that I hadn't previously thought of.

I then went to see the movie and, (cliché alert) although it wasn't as good as the book, I did genuinely find it just as exciting, seeing what I had finished (just that day no less!) on the screen and how it was adapted.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the book was good. The first bit going on about zoos etc dragged a bit but once he got on to the boat I found it a good story and I read it pretty quickly.

Must admit I don't get all the stuff about "this book will change your life", like people say about The Alchemist too. It's a good book but it's a story not a life changing experience lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.