Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had my first driving lesson last week and honestly, I took nothing in.

When setting/taking off.. in what order do you use the following: clutch, gear stick and gas?

If it helps, I drive a Citroen C3

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, eventually it'll all come naturally to you.
    The way i do it is, Clutch down, select first gear, then bring my clutch and gas up (and if i have the handbrake on, take that off just before my clutchs at biting point)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooobie_)
    I had my first driving lesson last week and honestly, I took nothing in.

When setting/taking off.. in what order do you use the following: clutch, gear stick and gas?

If it helps, I drive a Citroen C3
    Its not too hard..............in order to change gears, you need to press the clutch all the way down first. In order for the car to move you need to press the gas, but dont do this when you have the clutch all the way down as nothings connected.

What you need to do is get your biting point.................so once your set up in the car, engine on, etc............ clutch down, set to gear 1, press the gas a bit and hold, and slowly lift off the clutch...... stop when you feel the car tugging forward, check mirrors, release handbrake and lift up the clutch and go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Its not too hard..............in order to change gears, you need to press the clutch all the way down first. In order for the car to move you need to press the gas, but dont do this when you have the clutch all the way round as nothings connected.

What you need to do is get your biting point.................so once your set up in the car, engine on, etc............ clutch down, set to gear 1, press the gas a bit and hold, and slowly lift off the clutch...... stop when you feel the car tugging forward, check mirrors, release handbrake and lift up the clutch and go.
    This has helped millions, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gas? Are you American?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainDudeson)
    Gas? Are you American?
    You're not allowed to call it the accelerator anymore for your driving test so instructors use it during their lessons

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you understand how a car works then stuff like this is really easy to learn because all you need to do is think about what is actually happening mechanically and thus what needs to happen to get your desired result.

The three controls you are talking about do the following:

Throttle/gas: Increased the fuel and air to the engine thus causing the engine to have more power as each explosion is larger, thus if there is little resistence the engine will spin faster.

Brakes: These cause two surfaces (drum or disc brakes) to rub together, the friction makes it more difficult for the wheels to turn and thus slows down your speed.

Clutch. This connects and disconnects the gearbox to the engine. When the two are engadged (clutch is up) the gearbox will turn at the same speed as the engine and thus the wheels will turn at the apporpriate speed for the gear and revs you are in. You can't change gear whilst the engine is connected to the gearbox because the cogs won't fit smoothly together, you need to dissengadge the clutch first.

Thus to answer your question.

On a hill start (otherwise you don't need the brakes) you have to be holding the car from rolling down the hill on the brakes. Move the clutch so that it is slipping against the gearbox (partially connected), then as you release the brake the car won't roll backwards because the friction in the clutch is stopping it. You can then add a small amount of throttle so that the engine has enough power to pull the car forwards and slowly bring the clutch up so that the two parts are now together and you will then move forwards, adding more throttle so the engine revs increase and you go faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooobie_)
    You're not allowed to call it the accelerator anymore for your driving test so instructors use it during their lessons
    That is absolutely disgraceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainDudeson)
    Gas? Are you American?
    all instructors say gas because its easier saying accelerator..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raychul)
    all instructors say gas because its easier saying accelerator..
    My instructor called it "energy" :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.