Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could Farage's Scotland incident actually benefit him Watch

ReputationRep:
    Could the incident actually show the downsides of independence and the disadvantages of the SNP and actually gain UKIP more votes

ReputationRep:
    I think it could have if he had laughed the protestor's remarks off and said something along the lines of, 'Well there's always going to be people who hate you,' etc etc. However labelling people fascists and slamming the phone down on an interviewer just made him look just as bad, so no I don't think it will benefit him.

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope so.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think it has done much damage to him or ukip

ReputationRep:
    There's a good chance of that happening. For many, the SNP has been a protest vote. After all 50% of the population voted in the elections, 50% voted for SNP and supportfor separation is only at 30% and I'm sure all SNP supporters would've voted meaning that an awful lot of people voted for the SNP without voting for there main policy of divorce.

UKIP may give Scotland another protest vote and allow all of those people who would like to vote Tory, but would never vote for them a voice.

ReputationRep:
    From a protest party to one people are seriously talking about for a front runner in years to come... Farage hasn't done a bad job has he!

ReputationRep:
    No. I think many will still see that he is a slime ball, whilst the rest will continue to take mind altering drugs and support him and his party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    No. I think many will still see that he is a slime ball, whilst the rest will continue to take mind altering drugs and support him and his party.
    So, the majority of the population are against us being in Europe.

http://www.europeanvoice.com/article...-eu/77239.aspx

And by your logic, as UKIP is standing up for what the majority of people are concerned about. Europe, Unfettered immigration etc, the majority of the population are on mind altering drugs.

ell me inner Temple. Are you one of these people who think that democracy is so important that only you're views should be taken into account? Or are you one of these people who still hasn't got it that name calling UKIP and it's supporters actually strengthens their positions?

I do worry, about unlimited immigration, but guess what. Calling me a racists over it actually just strengthens my position, not weakens it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    And by your logic, as UKIP is standing up for what the majority of people are concerned about. Europe, Unfettered immigration etc, the majority of the population are on mind altering drugs.
    Actually, the majority of people are not overly concerned about the EU. The European union typically comes below other issues when voters are asked what their main concerns are. This begs the question: why is everyone making a song and dance about the EU when there are other, more pressing, issues that people worry about?

In any event, my attitude towards UKIP is based on more than its stance towards the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, the majority of people are not overly concerned about the EU. The European union typically comes below other issues when voters are asked what their main concerns are. This begs the question: why is everyone making a song and dance about the EU when there are other, more pressing, issues that people worry about?

In any event, my attitude towards UKIP is based on more than its stance towards the EU.
    Of course the EU comes below other concerns. But it's still high up there on the list of concerns. I'd like to think that governments don't just deal with one issue at a time. And in fact, the economy is the main concern but it's interlinked with the Europe issue.

You're opinion can differ from that of UKIP's. But accusing it's supporters (25%) of the electorate of being on drugs doesn't strengthen your position.

Infact Melanie Philips sums it up better than I can.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCo_FhNmcE

ReputationRep:
    Of course the EU comes below other concerns. But it's still high up there on the list of concerns. I'd like to think that governments don't just deal with one issue at a time. And in fact, the economy is the main concern but it's interlinked with the Europe issue.

You're opinion can differ from that of UKIP's. But accusing it's supporters (25%) of the electorate of being on drugs doesn't strengthen your position.

it always puzzled me when people say there are more important issues than the EU. do they believe that the government can only take one issue at a time.

its a poor argument by pro EU people.

ReputationRep:
    I have to laugh at the extreme irony of the Scots nationalists calling Farage out when they are for precisely the same thing in Scotland (England vs Europe of course).

ReputationRep:
    Actually, the majority of people are not overly concerned about the EU.
    What drivel is this? This is coming from a university student who probably hasn't worked a day in their lives.

I think you'll find the majority of people in Britain are concerned about the EU... you know, with those millions of people coming in through immigration, that £50 million we send everyday, the fact that our laws are made in Brussels... those small facts, right?

Please, pray do tell us why you believe the European Union to be good... and don't worry about the millions of youths and families in Greece, Spain and Cyprus that are suffering from this calamity of a project.

You have no valid reasons at all... the EU is a farce.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it was planned. UKIP will never get great success from the Scottish electorate, but being protested against will drive up support from angry people in England. Shrewd strategy tbh

ReputationRep:

Correct, only around 6-8% of those polled place the EU as their number one concern - in most political polls, it is behind things like the economy, unemployment, crime, housing, transport, etc. The EU is strictly a minority obsession amongst certain right wing elements of the Tory and ex-Tory party membership.

However, Ukip have only went above the 10% level in local elections when they started banging on about immigration, which is a hotter issue for many voters than the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't she the woman who once said: "A loss of religious belief has led the West to replace reason and truth with ideology and prejudice."?

LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar-n-spice)
    Obviously it was planned. UKIP will never get great success from the Scottish electorate, but being protested against will drive up support from angry people in England. Shrewd strategy tbh
    Yes, although presumably it was designed to appeal to a certain type of 'headbanger' voter in England who regards the Scots with suspicion - Ukip supporters are apparently so xenophobic that even Scotland is beyond the pale.

What it does show is that Ukip is strictly an England party, they make no headway outside England. They have a lot in common with the EDL and of course EDL recently told their supporters to vote Ukip.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't she the woman who once said: "A loss of religious belief has led the West to replace reason and truth with ideology and prejudice."?

LOL.
    Mad Mel? She's a national treasure. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laozi)
    What drivel is this? This is coming from a university student who probably hasn't worked a day in their lives.

Please, pray do tell us why you believe the European Union to be good... and don't worry about the millions of youths and families in Greece, Spain and Cyprus that are suffering from this calamity of a project.

You have no valid reasons at all... the EU is a farce.
    Are you aware that TSR is a student site, which is likely to contain comment from, er, university students?

Your comment about Greece, Spain and Cyprus suggests you are confusing the EU as an entity with the Euro and specifically with the foolishly rash policy of extending the Euro to rapidly to countries that were plainly not ready for it and for not setting it up with a centralised fiscal management that was viable. The Euro project is truly in a dismaying state of chaos and insecurity, but that is different to the EU, even though it was the EU wot did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Correct, only around 6-8% of those polled place the EU as their number one concern - in most political polls, it is behind things like the economy, unemployment, crime, housing, transport, etc. The EU is strictly a minority obsession amongst certain right wing elements of the Tory and ex-Tory party membership.

However, Ukip have only went above the 10% level in local elections when they started banging on about immigration, which is a hotter issue for many voters than the EU.
    That's not quite true is it? That's their number one concern. My number concern is having enough money to pay the bills That doesn't mean that I do not have other concerns.

I've had a crazy idea, I would suggest perhaps setting up the EU for free trade between nations, and possibly not start telling countries what they have to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.