Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I start uni in September and I'm looking for a new laptop or Tablet. I'm torn between the two because I can't really see much difference

The tablet has the pro's of being portable and versatile, it would be good for taking to lectures and it does have a mobile key board so It can be used for writing essays and doing work. I'm more confused because I don't know the capacity of the Tablet, if it will be reliable and have the storage needed to be a good choice for University. It is also Windows RT? I don't know what that is or how it would benefit/be a disadvantage?

The laptop on the other hand is fairly light weight, Windows 8 and touch screen. I'm certainly no tech expert but I think it has good storage and will be more reliable for studying?

both laptop and tablet have great battery life but the Tablet looks good because I will be travelling on trains a lot and I can access it anywhere?

any suggestions would be great! both products are Dell, are they good? any other brands that better suited to a student?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren_Louise:))
    Hello!

I start uni in September and I'm looking for a new laptop or Tablet. I'm torn between the two because I can't really see much difference

The tablet has the pro's of being portable and versatile, it would be good for taking to lectures and it does have a mobile key board so It can be used for writing essays and doing work. I'm more confused because I don't know the capacity of the Tablet, if it will be reliable and have the storage needed to be a good choice for University. It is also Windows RT? I don't know what that is or how it would benefit/be a disadvantage?

The laptop on the other hand is fairly light weight, Windows 8 and touch screen. I'm certainly no tech expert but I think it has good storage and will be more reliable for studying?

both laptop and tablet have great battery life but the Tablet looks good because I will be travelling on trains a lot and I can access it anywhere?

any suggestions would be great! both products are Dell, are they good? any other brands that better suited to a student?

thanks
    Dell arent that reputable, only their business range is any good.

Any links to the products?

ReputationRep:
    oh right :/ well this is the Tablet http://www.dell.com/uk/p/XPS-10-tabl...=XPS-10-tablet

this is the laptop http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15...spiron-15-3521

ReputationRep:
    Well, you would be able to use a lot more software on the laptop, as it has Windows 8 rather than the much more limited Windows RT. On the other hand, though, the tablet is likely to have a much longer battery life, which might make it better if you are planning on travelling often and so might not regularly be able to access a socket to charge a laptop. Consider your unique requirements and preferences and then choose accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    Laptop 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren_Louise:))
    oh right :/ well this is the Tablet http://www.dell.com/uk/p/XPS-10-tabl...=XPS-10-tablet

this is the laptop http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15...spiron-15-3521
    Think you need to consider spending more money......preferably sticking to a laptop for better performance

ReputationRep:
    I think i'll carry on looking and definitely go for the laptop...thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I have a iPad 3 and a ASUS X55C Laptop. I use the iPad for when I wish to chill out and play games, social networking and just general browsing on the internet. However, when it comes to work and the like, I would not touch the iPad at all, and do all my work related activities on my laptop. In my opinion, the iPad is not designed for University work, it is designed for play.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.