The Student Room Group

Help, i think my boyfriend is stingy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Your story doesn't add up.

You say he is loaded, but he had to borrow £10 from his mum for your first date. It sounds like you think he is loaded, when he isn't. Maybe his parents are loaded, but they want him to know the value of money or something. Anyway, regardless, if its a problem, leave.
Reply 81
Original post by rebeccaruby
Confused as to why boasting about your dad's 'large income' is in anyway related to the topic at hand...

It's from my point of view...

I'm saying from my experience that yes I'd be a little upset if my boyfriend didn't show in any way that he remembered my birthday.

It's up to you to buy the extras for the movie, you can't have everything, what he did was nice.
Original post by OU Student
Am I the only one who would hate it if my boyfriend was to pay for everything? Yes, it's nice to be bought presents and dinner; but I would hate it if I was bought dinner whenever we went out.

THIS. I actually hate it if *anyone* offers to pay for me. Because I don't feel I'm at equal with them and that I owe them something.
OP. Honestly? Him not recognising your birthday is pretty bad, but money shouldn't be blown on tiny things. You can always spend less on him, but by the sounds of things, you don't really buy anything for yourself at all aside from that £100 gift. Hell, even a romantic letter or poem would be just as good a present.
Reply 83
Sting him back like a bee. Although be careful not to hurt yourself
Original post by Leon Trotsky
I hate women.

It's okay, we hate you too :fight:.
Reply 85
Original post by Scott.
It's not really that much of a big deal. You chose to spend that amount on a gift. What did you even buy him? Your relationship doesn't even sound serious, by not spending a large amount of money on you, he has got the right idea. He isn't an idiot.

Why should he even buy you a cinema ticket? What's the cinema without popcorn? Do you have a disability which effects your Eye sight, so the only reason you attend is for food? You should buy it yourself.

You claim his family problems aren't as important as yours. How would you know how it effects him, because it's clear that you're only bothered about yourself, and how you feel.

You claim to have visited central London with him. If you were so hungry why didn't you buy the food? What's wrong with going somewhere cheaper if he didn't have the money? If you both were as hungry as you said you were then he would have gone anywhere he could have afforded.

It makes you jealous seeing your "friends" lovers shower them with gifts, but yet you say you get gifts from secret admires.

The point I'm trying to make is, maybe he doesn't take your relationship as seriously as you do? Maybe he failed to realize the cost of your gift? Maybe he see's things he doesn't like in you? Maybe you're not that important? Maybe he fancies one of your friends? If he is "Loaded", you're not entitled to anything.

Wow.

I ALWAYS insist on paying, even when we were in central London, but his pride got the best of him. He is a show off, he'd hurt his ego if his friends found out his girlfriend paid for dinner.
The mere fact I get gifts from other people just goes to show maybe i do deserve someone better, because 'gifts' isnt the only issue here, there's so many other problems. He's v ery egotistic and has so much pride. More of a show off if anything.
Anyways, I'm not with him anymore, and boy, am i glad.
Reply 86
Original post by Scott.
Nobody said she did. But, he paid for her food. She obviously agreed to go there. It's not really that big of a deal. Maybe she's a kebab shop kind of girl lol?

LOL i hate kebab. Yeah he paid at a less than half discount price. Then he shouldn't be bragging about his money and how he spends so much money on his gf
Reply 87
Original post by Scott.
To be honest I doubt they traveled outside of central London just for food. There's plenty of **** places in Central London too. Food isn't even that expensive. The only reason I assume he took her there is because he liked the food rather than it just being cheap. Maybe the guy didn't see it as a date as she has stated? If she was so hungry when she was in central London, she probably would have ate there, as traveling takes the piss.

Again, your arrogance is getting the best of you. We initially headed out to central london as a 'date' where he said he'd 'treat' me. But he was being so cheap! I only agreed going to the kebab shop because i didn't want to lower his self esteem.
Reply 88
Original post by Runninground
Can you give my message to him:

Spoiler

Thanks.

How do you know he is loaded? Do you buy him stuff too? Maybe he thinks the same about you.

Because he keeps BRAGGING about his money. I spend way too much on him tbh
Reply 89
Original post by Scott.
I like how she's claiming it's not right. But nothing wrong has happened. She's one of those people who feels they're entitled. It would amuse me if she wasn't pretty though.

You don't know the full story, so pls stop being narrow minded.
I know I'm HOT tbh, and he's average looking.
Reply 90
Original post by heart/
Yes giving a birthday gift to your girlfriend is a way to show that you care. It's not about how expensive or nice a gift is but the fact that he's putting in effort. For example I wouldn't be upset if I didn't like what my boyfriend got me but I would be upset if he just couldn't be bothered to put in any effort at all. Like he could have bought her chocolates or taken her on a nice date.

MY POINT EXACTLY. On my birthday, even a bunch of flowers would've been nice. But NOTHING, nothing at all.
Reply 91
Original post by heart/
I don't think it's fair to call her materialistic. I think it's horrible of the boyfriend to take her for granted like that. It's not about being a benefactor it's about buying someone you care about a birthday or valentines gift to show that you care. OP you should really talk to him this is not right. Edit: even without any money he should get her something cheap I think. Maybe he's worried it won't be nice enough?

Thank you, someone with brains finally speaks out.
Reply 92
Original post by Scott.
And this is possibly the most stupidest thing I've read in a long time.

You can't prove he's taking her for granted. There's lots of ways to show you care about someone without buying them goods. She just thinks she's entitled to things. When it's clear she's unwilling to pay money for her own food when when she's "hungry", her own "popcorn" which without would ruin her entire experience.

She even conceded that one time his mother gave him limited funds, despite this he still paid for her food. Which she's still ungrateful for. At one point she states he was having family problems, but they're not important according to her. If she spends a large amount of money on a gift, would it be unfair to say that she could pay for something that she wants if he doesn't have much money?

Everyone goes through family problems, some worse than other. Tbh, that was just an excuse for him. I never said i'm ungrateful.
Reply 93
Original post by ANONYM00SE
Hellooooooo he is the one that ALWAYS pays for dates..
Pretty sure if a guy ends up paying for all the dates and his girlfriend is ungrateful he's going to get pissed off and not bother with her birthday/valentines because quite frankly if she isn't grateful for those dates then she doesn't deserve the birthday/valentines stuff.
Him paying for dates all of the time = putting in effort... which is not being reciprocated by the girlfriend...

Relationships are a two way thing.

You, my friend, are deluuuuuuded

Dude, we HARDLY go on dates. Like I'm always willing to pay for dates, but he refuses, like i mentioned before, he has too much pride. Other than dates, it's usually me that pays for everything else.
Reply 94
Original post by Anonymous
LOL i hate kebab. Yeah he paid at a less than half discount price. Then he shouldn't be bragging about his money and how he spends so much money on his gf

Probably because the only reason you were with him is for money.
Reply 95
Again, your arrogance is getting the best of you. We initially headed out to central london as a 'date' where he said he'd 'treat' me. But he was being so cheap! I only agreed going to the kebab shop because i didn't want to lower his self esteem.

So he was being cheap before the kebab shop? Is it because he didn't take you shopping in South Kensington?
Reply 96
Original post by Scott.
Probably because the only reason you were with him is for money.

Not really, money's not an issue with me. I have it all. In fact, I'm grateful with what god has blessed me with: beauty, brains and wealth. What more could I ask for? I'm a straight A science/Maths student, and a part time model for crying out loud.
He is the type of person that would want to show off his first ever hot gf. Because, not so long ago, he was the ugliest in the bunch. We knew each other since primary. Sure he's all lovey dovey with me, and I am the same with him. It's just money thats an issue.
His parents maybe rich but he may not have much money. Why would you expect something back from a person you like? There's more happiness in giving than receiving - when you give never expect something back. You know him best though, if he is a guy with a genuine personality but is doing this than he's probably just skint/broke.
Reply 98
Original post by Scott.
So he was being cheap before the kebab shop? Is it because he didn't take you shopping in South Kensington?

Only because he's the one that suggested this whole 'date' IN central london. Therefore it wasn't so gentlemen of him by going against his own words and treating me in a manky kebab shop.
Reply 99
His parents maybe rich but he may not have much money. Why would you expect something back from a person you like? There's more happiness in giving than receiving - when you give never expect something back. You know him best though, if he is a guy with a genuine personality but is doing this than he's probably just skint/broke.

Then why would he brag about HIS money?? How can he afford to go shopping EVERY week but couldn't buy something as minor as a box of chocolate for his gf on her birthday?
Well, it looks like he's just a stingy person in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending