Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Please could someone quickly check through this to make sure it's scientifically sound?

http://www.hadrill.org.uk/mirrors/sc...0Explained.pdf

Thanks,
    Jack.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to help? My biology exam is tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would say the the diagram is good but I have written a more detailed summery below (Note: If your Exam Board has told you that the Corpus Luteum is the remainder of a follicle it's probably best to go with that).

At the start of the menstrual cycle both Oestrogen and Progesterone are low, which means that LH and FSH are released from the Pituitary gland. FSH causes a follicle to develop, which will itself produce Oestrogen, which will inhibit FSH and LH secretion before a surge of LH is released which starts ovulation. The Corpus Luteum develops separately form the egg and secretes progesterone to maintain the uterus lining. These high levels of Oestrogen and Progesterone prevent LH and FSH secretion. If the egg is not fertilised the Corpus Luteum degenerates and "dies" and progesterone secretion stops. The egg also "dies" and so Oestrogen production also stops. Therefore as both hormones are again in low concentrations the process starts again.

ReputationRep:
    And Good Luck in your Exam by the way!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!

I'll try my best!

Jack.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.