Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I decided I'd finally get round to making a TSR account so hello everyone =)

I'm thinking about my future and I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice or share their experiences.

Some background info:
    I took Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Physics when doing my A-Levels. Although I found science quite interesting I didn't do very well, I received only 240 UCAS points, this locked me out of a lot of places University wise and was a real blow to me. I decided to do Accounting & Finance at Derby University and so far it's going great, I'm predicted a first class degree, I've been doing well on all examinations and I even won an award for best stage 1 accounting student.

Although I'm doing well I feel as if I've missed out on a dream going to one of the top Universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc. And I'm debating whether to go straight for a job after Uni or try for a masters in one of the above places. I also am not taking a placement year.

So some questions:
    In your position would you recommend getting a job or getting a masters?
    Is it hard to get into a masters course in a top Uni after going to one that's less reputable?
    Do you still get student loan whilst doing a masters?
    Will it matter that I won't have done a placement?

So let me know your thaughts and share your past experiences with me please =)

Also if this is in the wrong part of the forum I'm sorry

Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Mr Coffee)

I'm thinking about my future and I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice or share their experiences.

Some background info:
    I took Biology, Maths, Chemistry and Physics when doing my A-Levels. Although I found science quite interesting I didn't do very well, I received only 240 UCAS points, this locked me out of a lot of places University wise and was a real blow to me. I decided to do Accounting & Finance at Derby University and so far it's going great, I'm predicted a first class degree, I've been doing well on all examinations and I even won an award for best stage 1 accounting student.

Although I'm doing well I feel as if I've missed out on a dream going to one of the top Universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc. And I'm debating whether to go straight for a job after Uni or try for a masters in one of the above places. I also am not taking a placement year.

So some questions:
    Is it hard to get into a masters course in a top Uni after going to one that's less reputable?

Thanks in advance
    Get a job, earn money, establish yourself professionally and review things again when you have 5 year's professional experience under your belt.

At the moment you are proposing something that is probably impossible, will cost you another 20k of debt if yo do secure a reputable offer, and won't leave you in a significantly better employment position at the end.

ReputationRep:

Some background info:

So some questions:

Thanks in advance

I'm about to start my Undergraduate Degree in October, so currently I am unsure. Although, it depends upon what you're aiming to do, and if you will enjoy it.

As far as I'm aware, it's a lot easier to get into a top University to do a Masters due to funding and the percentage of people going. You get no funding which is why fewer people go.

As stated previously, no - not student loans. You can get a real loan, but not a student one.

Not fully sure on this one - it depends upon the University and the course you're doing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Some background info:

So some questions:

Thanks in advance
    It sounds like your motivation for doing a Master's is the experience of going to a different university rather than thinking that a Master's will help you in your career, or that you really want to continue studying. Going to a better uni than your undergrad is a perfectly valid reason for doing a Master's, but if it's the main or sole reason, I don't think it's worth it when Master's are so expensive if it's ultimately not going to affect your career path.

Although I'm doing well I feel as if I've missed out on a dream going to one of the top Universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc. And I'm debating whether to go straight for a job after Uni or try for a masters in one of the above places.
    Since this is your core motivation for a Masters (and I can understand this motivation), I say definitely go for a job instead. Had you said something about maybe wanting to go into academia, or that the minimum requirement for the job you want is an MA, or if you'd said you just love your subject so much you really just want to delve into it more, I'd encourage you to go for a Masters.

But if none of the above apply, then definitely get the several years' experience first. Because this will be far more important than the Oxbridge name. Seriously, don't take experience lightly. When you have that under your belt, you might find at some point down the line that you need a Masters to progress to top positions. In this case, your employer might even sponsor you. Or you'll find yourself financially in a better place to do postgraduate study anyway and can then apply for Oxbridge/LSE if you're still desperate for their brand names.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.