Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I think I picked up HIV from Thailand watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Spent a month in Thailand (very high rates of HIV), just got back. Had sex with 3 women and a ladyboy at the end (I thought it was a women prostitute, but then at the hotel I found out she was a ladyboy - shocking!). I decided to experiment and received anal (bi-curious I guess). Used condoms every time but not for oral (I received oral, never gave). The ladyboy used vaseline for obvious reasons, which I understand can break condoms. I don't think the condom split, but can't be sure as I was drunk.

Now I have flu-like symptoms: headache, chills, swollen glands, sore throat, tickling cough and runny nose about 10 days after having sex with the ladyboy which are typical symptoms of initial HIV infection.

So based on what I have said, what is the likelihood I have picked up HIV? I cannot sleep, eat or rest, I am panicing all the time and I am in a massive state of depression. Your honesty would be most appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way to know for sure unless you go to a clinic and get tested.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it ... er, sounds like you had a good time!

Well, the best thing to do is to pop along to a sexual health clinic, and get yourself checked out. I'm not sure on the symptoms for HIV, but it may not be that bad, it could just be another STI, or it could just be your stress causing your symptoms. As I said, get yourself down to a clinic to make sure and put your mind at ease.

ReputationRep:
    The probability is that it's just a flu-like viral illness caught from anyone, possibly on the plane (the recirculating air is great for viral transmission). The chance of HIV transmission from a one-off contact is relatively small. HOWEVER, you did definitely put yourself at risk so you should get tested. Talk to a GUM clinic for advice on when the best time for testing is - it may be too early for HIV infection to test positive at this stage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    First off, I am somewhat surprised any sex worker would use vaseline as a lube because of its effects on latex.

Because it was over 72 hours ago, it's too late to take PEP - the month long course of anti-HIV drugs that can reduce the chances of catching HIV after something like this. So you'll have to wait until about a month after the event and test then - depending on where you go, this may mean fibbing and saying it was three months ago, but the tests in use now will be valid from a month after exposure. (You can test again in two months to be sure.) You do need to tell them this was in Thailand - this should mean they test for HIV-2 as well as HIV-1. You'll also need tests for the rest of the set.

If they were HIV+ and if you got their *** in your bum, then you are looking at around a 1-3% chance of catching it. If they weren't or you didn't, the risk is nil - you won't have caught HIV from receiving oral. So you probably don't have it - getting these sorts of symptoms just from having a long flight is not unknown.

If you do, you'll have the advantage of having first world treatment from the start. As things stand now, you'll be taking the drugs for the rest of your life, but that can be a very long and happy one - nearly all of the people who die from HIV here now are the ones who didn't know they were infected until the damage to their immune system was too severe.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I am being very paranoid and hopefully I am fine.

If the sex worker had HIV, if the condom broke and if I was unlucky (1-3%) I caught the virus. Logically the chances are slim but I am reacting emotionally to this like a baby.

But still HIV is one of the worst diseases to catch...

Thanks again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Certainly, you don't want to have HIV. But it's not a death sentence, even though the stigma means it is not, and probably never will be, 'like diabetes'.

It's a big scare, you're not well, and it's ok to behave like a baby at such times.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.