Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So basic background is that I've had some extent of depression, OCD and anxiety for a few years. I'm now on meds which are helping I guess but it's early days so i'm still really anxious and I think it's making the OCD a little worse too.

I have two close friends who know like everything but I have others who i've told parts and it's completely ruined the relationship.

I'm not sure how much I should tell people. I want them to know parts about the anxiety and stuff cos it will probably help if they know why I scream whenever people come near me. I don't know how much I should say though. I'm worried about telling people that I actually have a mental illness cos I don't know how they'll react and i'm scared to tell them i'm on meds for it for the same reason.

Most of my friends are generally accepting of my little OCDs and my anxieties so I probably don't have to tell them any more but I still feel I should. I think part of my problem with ocd or anxiety is that I feel I have to tell people everything which means I either tell people too much cos I feel I have to or that I tell them too little cos I think it's the OCD/ anxiety so I should just ignore it.

Any advice?? Should I tell people? If so how much?

I also want to tell people about some of the "dangerous" and paranoid thoughts i've had but I don't know who or if I should. I'm not at risk now but I want to be able to let go of those thoughts and the only way I can think to do it is to tell others.
    My psychiatrist asked me if I think people can access my thoughts for example. I didn't know what to say cos I didn't at the time but I have before (rather recently). I wasn't sure if it was relevant any more and I was really embarrassed too cos it's just crazy and I know that. Now i'm worried I should have told them cos it may mean I have something more seriously wrong with me. :/

How much is too much information?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think the one person you should be telling everything is your psychiatrist. If there is soemthing more wrong, they will know. As for how much your friends know, only tell them what you are comfortable with them knowing, and what they are comfortable with knowing. If they seem to lose interest then perhaps you are telling them too much, in which case only tell your closest friends the details.

It si completely up to you and what you are comfortable with, but I do suggest you talk to your psychiatrist about everything you are worried about, which will make you overall less worried in knowing that there is nothing wrong with it, or that it is being treated.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.