The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Questions

Scroll to see replies

When applying for accommodation do you have to fill all 4 options? Because there's only 2 places I'm considering staying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 61
Original post by lemissavengenz
When applying for accommodation do you have to fill all 4 options? Because there's only 2 places I'm considering staying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you do, you would need to ring Residential Services to confirm though.

At a guess are the two Willow Court and ASH? If so, note that Willow Court is already full.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Okay, that makes sense! And what are final exams like?
Reply 63
Original post by pb94
Okay, that makes sense! And what are final exams like?

From my experience of humanities subjects, you have 2 hours and you answer 2 questions from a selection of about 10.
Original post by Stirling2014
I think you do, you would need to ring Residential Services to confirm though.

At a guess are the two Willow Court and ASH? If so, note that Willow Court is already full.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No AKD and Geddes :smile: I don't see the point in having an ensuite and I don't think I'd like living in flats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
No AKD and Geddes :smile: I don't see the point in having an ensuite and I don't think I'd like living in flats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to worry then, there are guaranteed to be places left in Geddes up until the end and most probably some in AKD as most people want an en-suite and the flats also seem really popular this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
From the FAQ:
You will sign an internet usage policy that states that you cannot play online games (like Warcraft, not flash based games)

How strict are they with this? Games are one the main things I use the internet for :/

Also:
If you do plan on bringing your laptop you should bring an Ethernet cable as the internet is not wireless

I take it that they don't mind people bringing their own wireless routers?

Oh and whilst we're at it, what's the speed like?
Reply 67
Original post by egg651
From the FAQ:

How strict are they with this? Games are one the main things I use the internet for :/

Also:

I take it that they don't mind people bringing their own wireless routers?

Oh and whilst we're at it, what's the speed like?

They aren't that strict, if you can get it to work then it is unlikely anyone will care. They are allowing games consoles to access the internet from September so they are becoming much more relaxed.

They don't mind if you bring a router but they won't provide any support for it. If you already have a router then bring it along and try it but if you are going to buy one, wait until you get here and buy one from the information services desk in the library, it will be configured to all the University settings and costs about £20.

As for speed, sometimes it is terrible and you cant even load facebook without waiting an age but other times it is amazingly fast. If loads of people are online at the same time then you cant expect miracles but if there is low demand such as in the middle of the night or at weekends when a lot of people are away then you'll get a good speed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
They aren't that strict, if you can get it to work then it is unlikely anyone will care. They are allowing games consoles to access the internet from September so they are becoming much more relaxed.

They don't mind if you bring a router but they won't provide any support for it. If you already have a router then bring it along and try it but if you are going to buy one, wait until you get here and buy one from the information services desk in the library, it will be configured to all the University settings and costs about £20.

As for speed, sometimes it is terrible and you cant even load facebook without waiting an age but other times it is amazingly fast. If loads of people are online at the same time then you cant expect miracles but if there is low demand such as in the middle of the night or at weekends when a lot of people are away then you'll get a good speed.

Thanks, that's really cleared that up. I already have a spare router lying about so I'll just bring that. I'm coming to study CompSci so I really should be alright setting it up, or I might have to reconsider my course choice...

Speed wise that's pretty much what I expected, they've probably got a pretty decent amount of bandwidth, but a crazy amount of traffic at peak times. Probably a lot of interference too, if there's a bunch of different people's wireless networks about.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by egg651
Thanks, that's really cleared that up. I already have a spare router lying about so I'll just bring that. I'm coming to study CompSci so I really should be alright setting it up, or I might have to reconsider my course choice...

Speed wise that's pretty much what I expected, they've probably got a pretty decent amount of bandwidth, but a crazy amount of traffic at peak times. Probably a lot of interference too, if there's a bunch of different people's wireless networks about.

Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem. Just for clarity, it is a Wireless Access Point rather than a router that you actually need.

Just on the topic of internet, to get online you have to go through a VPN which is easily installed on Windows through a piece of software called CampusNET or by following some basic instructions on Mac.
Oh, got another question. Assuming I meet my conditions, how long would it take for my UCAS track to update and how soon would I be able to apply for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Oh, got another question. Assuming I meet my conditions, how long would it take for my UCAS track to update and how soon would I be able to apply for accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The university get your results the day before and make their decision then so your UCAS should be updated by 12am on the morning of results day, probably even before you actually get your results. Of course, the UCAS website sometimes crashes which doesn't help.

I think you get sent your welcome pack within a few days after which you can set up your network account and apply for accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem. Just for clarity, it is a Wireless Access Point rather than a router that you actually need.

Same hardware, different settings. I actually have the router I'm going to bring set as an access point to extend my home network, so I should be alright (famous last words).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
How important are the semester one module choices?

I know everything works around pre-requisites, but nothing really stands out to me in the choices list. As I'm going to study Computing Science I know Maths is pretty much a must have, I think it's even chosen for you. Just wondering if I'd be fine to just choose whatever seems the most manageable rather than planning ahead?
Original post by Calum95
How important are the semester one module choices?

I know everything works around pre-requisites, but nothing really stands out to me in the choices list. As I'm going to study Computing Science I know Maths is pretty much a must have, I think it's even chosen for you. Just wondering if I'd be fine to just choose whatever seems the most manageable rather than planning ahead?

Your first year "additional modules" are not necessarily going to be anything that you continue with, in later years. So the best thing to do is pick something that sounds like it will be interesting/enjoyable, even if it is entirely unrelated to your degree subject. In theory all modules should be exactly the same in terms of workload (although this is probably not the case), but picking something that sounds "easy" or "a skive" is not the best way to go. Hope this helps.
Reply 76
Original post by LJMac_SportSci
Your first year "additional modules" are not necessarily going to be anything that you continue with, in later years. So the best thing to do is pick something that sounds like it will be interesting/enjoyable, even if it is entirely unrelated to your degree subject. In theory all modules should be exactly the same in terms of workload (although this is probably not the case), but picking something that sounds "easy" or "a skive" is not the best way to go. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's cleared everything up for me!
Now the F-Passes have come on sale for £40 are they worth purchasing or can you still get into the events without the F-Pass?
Original post by ryanomara2012
Now the F-Passes have come on sale for £40 are they worth purchasing or can you still get into the events without the F-Pass?

You can still buy individual tickets (while they last), once Freshers week starts, but if you want a ticket for every event you'll save £35 by getting an F-pass. F-passes also act as a queue jump. My advice is to look at the full list of events, if you are likely to want to go to at least 1/2 of them, you'll still be saving money by getting an F-pass.
Reply 79
Hiya!
I've got a question about the sports membership.. do you have to buy one if you just want to join a club like lacrosse or sth or do you only need this membership for the gym and exercise classes?
thanks =)

Quick Reply

Latest