Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, PC crashed/froze up other day and I haven't been able to get it working again. When I switch the power on it tries to start up and then beeps repeatedly, like the kind of racket you hear when you hold the shift key down for a while. Nothing shows up on the monitor either. Are there any keyboard commands I could use to help fix it?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    You've been a bit ambigous to get tech help:

"Nothing shows up on the monitor", does that mean

1) the monitor is on but absolutely nothing is ever showing up as if it was off

2) that it flashes or shows something for a sec when you turn it on but doesn't last for a while and nothing meaningful comes up

3) is it just black showing up, but the backlight is on so you know you've turned the computer on?

If it's the first, something wrong with connections / monitor. If it's the second or third, something's gone awry - If you've had the computer for more than 4 years, it might well be a hard drive failure, as that's the time when they start to fail.

If it's the second case, try and press F1 or F2 (or even F10) when it starts up to enter the BIOS, where usually then there's a diagnostics tool depending on the computer; what make and OS is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    Yeah, PC crashed/froze up other day and I haven't been able to get it working again. When I switch the power on it tries to start up and then beeps repeatedly, like the kind of racket you hear when you hold the shift key down for a while. Nothing shows up on the monitor either. Are there any keyboard commands I could use to help fix it?

Thanks in advance
    Open up the case, check all the cables, etc are fitted in properly.............clear out the dust as well...........and try again for a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piguy)
    You've been a bit ambigous to get tech help:

"Nothing shows up on the monitor", does that mean

1) the monitor is on but absolutely nothing is ever showing up as if it was off

2) that it flashes or shows something for a sec when you turn it on but doesn't last for a while and nothing meaningful comes up

3) is it just black showing up, but the backlight is on so you know you've turned the computer on?

If it's the first, something wrong with connections / monitor. If it's the second or third, something's gone awry - If you've had the computer for more than 4 years, it might well be a hard drive failure, as that's the time when they start to fail.

If it's the second case, try and press F1 or F2 (or even F10) when it starts up to enter the BIOS, where usually then there's a diagnostics tool depending on the computer; what make and OS is it?

It's the third suggestion. Yeah, possibly hard drive failure. It was making a mild whirring noise in the weeks before this happened. I'll try the F1 F2 thing on start up later and see how it goes. It's OS is windows XP. Not sure of the model, but it's Packard Bell and I've had it since 06.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)

Thanks in advance
    How many beeps do you hear? Is there a special order. It's not a racket, it's a special code telling you what is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piguy)
    I'm definitely sure it's a hard drive failure... 7 years is a long time for one to work consistently, and usually when there starts to be too many bad sectors, it starts creating odd noises just before it fails. There's no other good reason for it to not show up anything at all and make loud noises in the process. I would download a recovery tool onto a usb / cd, like testdisk http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk, and boot off from there which could try to recover files - but you'll need definitely need to get a new hard drive soon (or probably better to just use this as an excuse to buy a new pc), even if you do manage to recover your files and boot back into windows
    With a hard drive failure you'd normally see something on the screen. With a blank screen and various beeps from the PC then it's more likely that something else has failed. The Most likely items to fail are: PSU, Memory, CPU or graphics card. Without these the PC may not be able to display anything (hence the blank screen) and so will give several beeps to tell you what's wrong. The number of beeps and how long they are will tell you what's wrong. Although at 7 years old it's probably worth replacing the computer anyway (Windows XP won't be supported at all soon so there won't be any more updates for it when vulnerabilities are found.)

ReputationRep:
    CPR. Central processing resuscitation .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    With a hard drive failure you'd normally see something on the screen. With a blank screen and various beeps from the PC then it's more likely that something else has failed. The Most likely items to fail are: PSU, Memory, CPU or graphics card. Without these the PC may not be able to display anything (hence the blank screen) and so will give several beeps to tell you what's wrong. The number of beeps and how long they are will tell you what's wrong. Although at 7 years old it's probably worth replacing the computer anyway (Windows XP won't be supported at all soon so there won't be any more updates for it when vulnerabilities are found.)
    I would probably take a stab at memory. Fairly common to go wrong, at least more than processor and I wouldn't think that the PC would power on at all if it was the PSU.

But yeah OP, just get a new machine. Not worth fixing now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    I would probably take a stab at memory. Fairly common to go wrong, at least more than processor and I wouldn't think that the PC would power on at all if it was the PSU.

But yeah OP, just get a new machine. Not worth fixing now.
    I did come across an old machine that gave warning beeps and refused to start up when the PSU was working out of spec, although I'd tend to go with RAM/ Graphics first.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds most likely to be a HDD failure as the system attempts to load the OS and then cannot, giving the only possible display from a corrupt system - a black screen. Have you tried replacing some components if you have any old spares lying around?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_uter15776)
    This sounds most likely to be a HDD failure as the system attempts to load the OS and then cannot, giving the only possible display from a corrupt system - a black screen. Have you tried replacing some components if you have any old spares lying around?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If it was hard drive then you would be able to see bios. A computer can work just fine without a hard drive. It's most likely memory, mobo or psu

ReputationRep:
    Take it to a computer tech in your area. Although we can give likely scenarios nobody will be able to give you a completely accurate diagnosis without a full inspection of the PC, and that's not possible over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    CPR

ReputationRep:
    Check memory by pulling one stick out at a time and starting the pc up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel_R)
    Check memory by pulling one stick out at a time and starting the pc up
    Also, if there is only one memory stick, try swapping it to another slot if available. Make sure memory, expansion cards (graphics card etc) and all cables are plugged in properly. It's often a good idea to disconnect anything none essential whilst testing, so basically anything but the keyboard and mouse.

If it still fails to start then unless you have parts to swap, or test equipment, you're going to struggle to find out what is wrong.

As others have said, given it's age it's probably best just to replace the whole thing. Unless it's the memory, you'd probably struggle to find replacements for most parts anyway, and you'd probably end up paying nearly as much as buying a new computer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.