Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    BOO! I need to choose between two universities but Sheffield is lecture based and Manchester is PBL, i like both cities equally but i dont know which course of learning is the most beneficial and easiest!! Help??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanya)
    BOO! I need to choose between two universities but Sheffield is lecture based and Manchester is PBL, i like both cities equally but i dont know which course of learning is the most beneficial and easiest!! Help??
    What's PBL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    What's PBL?
    problem based learning, basically i think... you are given a case study and individually research aspects of it, and then meet up in groups of 12 with a tutor and discuss the issues you find, oh its for dentistry by the way (medics do the same)

ReputationRep:
    I chose lectures over pbl for dentistry. It makes it a lot easier to understand what you need to know, though you still need to do a lot of work outside contact time. I don't think I would have been motivated enough for pbl, plus I found after sixth form I still needed a bit of guidance as to what's necessary to learn and what isen't. I don't think either method is particulaly easy, and I think a lot depends on your own personal style of learning. Though personally I find lectures to be a lot more benificial as you get a good idea of what you need to know, then can go away and read up on aspects you are unsure of or think may need to be covered in more detail, - rather than risking the possabilty of spending hous going off on a tangent.

I would definately choose Sheffield over Manchester, not just due to the method of teaching, but due to the location (Sheffield seemed a lot more friendly and less overwhelming than manchester when I visited both for interview) and due to the dental school itself being a lot more pleasant.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.