Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What assassination had the biggest impact? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There have been many assassinations throughout time, but which one has been the most important and had the biggest impact on the world?

I would have to say the most important is probably Archduke Franz Ferdinand's assassination, considering what it led to. Martin Luther King's death is also highly important, as is JFK's but only when it comes to the US rather than the world. Caesar's as well.

What about you? What do you think is the most important assassination in history?

ReputationRep:
    Out of the examples you've given, I'm going to chose Franz Ferdinand, as that was the trigger for the First World War, which arguably decided the course of the 20th century. Still trying to think of others though.

ReputationRep:
    Caesar's was longer ago, and so due to the butterfly effect, the world would be a lot more different today if he had lived than if an assassination closer to the present hadn't happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    Caesar's was longer ago, and so due to the butterfly effect, the world would be a lot more different today if he had lived than if an assassination closer to the present hadn't happened.
    The only confirmed plan that Caesar had for later life was a war with the Parthians, and it is doubtful whether he would have been successful. I don't understand how his early death changed the world, surely Octavian would have succeeded anyway?

ReputationRep:
    The murder of Rathenau was pretty big too, although only maybe an excuse to start early.

Franz Ferdinands the obvious one, take him aside and maybe JFK. If I was religious I would say Jesus Christ because that started a religion and stopped a guy performing miracles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    The murder of Rathenau was pretty big too, although only maybe an excuse to start early.

Franz Ferdinands the obvious one, take him aside and maybe JFK. If I was religious I would say Jesus Christ because that started a religion and stopped a guy performing miracles.
    I wouldn't class Jesus' death as an assassination, he was killed by the Roman justice system was he not?

ReputationRep:
    Franz Ferdinand's assassination wasn't actually that hugely significant for a cause of the First World War's outbreak. World War I was about to explode into action at that time, and it would have been triggered regardless of whether Franz Ferdinand was killed or not. It just so happened to be a conveniant excuse at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I would say the assassination of Franz Ferdinand as it triggered WW1, which ultimately lead to millions of deaths

ReputationRep:
    Franz Ferdinand and Julius Caesar spring to mind.

These deaths sparked massive wars that ravaged Europe, North Africa and Asia. More Ceasar, as WW1 was going to happen, his death was the excuse used.

Alexander the Greats death sparked more than a century of constant war across the territory he conquered. Some think he was assassinated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Spartan)
    Franz Ferdinand's assassination wasn't actually that hugely significant for a cause of the First World War's outbreak. World War I was about to explode into action at that time, and it would have been triggered regardless of whether Franz Ferdinand was killed or not. It just so happened to be a conveniant excuse at the time.
    debateable.... the gun may have been loaded but his assasination cocked the hammer and germany ensured the Austraians pulled the trigger.

althoigh im curious why youd say itd have happened anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Spartan)
    Agree with this a lot! Everybody was walking on eggshells prior to the war anyway. This was inevitably the spark, but if it didn't happen, something else would have led to WW1 starting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would personally go for Martin Luther King. He fought for a lot and led a strong campaign for equality in America, his death perhaps epitomises the success he brought in freedom for ethnic minorities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.