Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend me a totally gripping and inspiring novel Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got something pretty big on my mind right now and really need to be distracted, so can anyone recommend any novels that they just couldn't put down until they finished? Or that made them feel inspired/changed their outlook? Any genre welcome

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nails9999)
    I've got something pretty big on my mind right now and really need to be distracted, so can anyone recommend any novels that they just couldn't put down until they finished? Or that made them feel inspired/changed their outlook? Any genre welcome

Thanks
    Jane Eyre; the most beautiful, inspiring, life-changing book I've ever read. You will find her positive and persistent outlook inspires you.

ReputationRep:
    Les Misérables

ReputationRep:
    The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Got it a few weeks ago and read it straight through in an afternoon, literally couldn't put it down. The writing is amazing, you're completely drawn in to Hazel and Gus' world and it reminds you that in comparison, your problems are pretty insignificant.

ReputationRep:
    Tender is the Night by Scott Fitzgerald, supreme writing.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness

The first in an absolutely brilliant series; I see it as a kind of fusion between Lord of the Flies and His Dark Materials. Ness imagines a world where the thoughts of people are no longer private but are broadcast publicly into the world. The series begins through the eyes of Todd Hewitt, an adolescent boy who has grown up in a small town with no women since all have allegedly been killed by a mysterious disease.

ReputationRep:
    To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee.
    It is beautifully written, with an inspiring story, you will not want to put it down!

ReputationRep:
    inb4 someone says 50 shades of gay

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far if anyone recommends any poetry also that would be great

ReputationRep:
    As for novels, I enjoyed Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road' a lot. I found it touching, inspiring and caught my attention from the first page to the last. Also, 'Hopscotch', by Julio Cortázar.

As for poetry, I liked 'Un Coup de Dés Jamais N'Abolira Le Hasard' by Mallarmé. I also liked 'Leaves of Grass', by Walt Whitman (inspiring and beautiful).

ReputationRep:
    A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. I was reminded of it yesterday while watching Les Mis – Dickens' story is far better, and will teach you something about life as well as about history.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it was inspiring as such but 'Before I go to Sleep' was one of the most gripping books I've read in years. I literally read the entire book in a day - I couldn't put it down.

ReputationRep:
    Although it's officially a children's book, I really recommend The Silver Sword by Ian Serrrailier. It was really gripping and quite inspiring.

ReputationRep:
    Adding my support for Jane Eyre and The Fault in Our Stars which have already been mentioned.

Also may I suggest Wonder by RJ Palacio? It is a children's book but I thought it was really well written and so inspiring. I sat in my room reading it and didn't leave until I'd finished!

ReputationRep:
    Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage was the last amazing novel I read. and I've been since going around recommending it to everyone.

And Rainer Maria Rilke's poetry has always managed to soothe my mind.

ReputationRep:
    any john green book

ReputationRep:
    Fatherland, by Robert Harris.

In fact, just about any Robert Harris novel would do the trick. His books are the best thrillers I've ever read, by quite a margin.

ReputationRep:
    We need to talk about Kevin, by Lionel Shriver. It´s a bit wordy, but once you get into it it´s an amazing book. One of the best I´ve ever read. Life of Pi is probably a must as well.

Edit: Jeez why the neg??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    Fatherland, by Robert Harris.

In fact, just about any Robert Harris novel would do the trick. His books are the best thrillers I've ever read, by quite a margin.

Im assuming you aint read The Day of The Jackal(Frederick Forsyth)then?

I found Fatherland slightly disappointing but the idea of writing a book set in a Europe where Germany have won the War is of course brill.

Anyway,TDOTJ is surely the greatest thriller ever written.

ReputationRep:
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.