Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm starting my open university degree, either now or in october and was wondering is it worth moving to London to do the degree?

The main place is in camden as far as I know, if i moved to London to do the degree, would it be a waste of time or do a lot of people do this?

I know most of the work is done at home but is there enough work to be done at the open university centre, to warrant me moving there?

Also I was wondering, how hard is the actual work and is it easy to hold down another job while doing it?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    My understanding of the OU is that you work from home, with help from tutor - most is done remotely and via summer schools and occasional tutorial sessions. More of a virtual university - you have to be self-motivated and focussed. I believe the place in camden is just administration. I certainly wouldn't move to London... no point ...
    OU offers great access to range of courses and great tutors but certainly not like any other university - allows people to study in their own time and around their own work schedule.

ReputationRep:
    I believe there is a library in Milton Keynes but the majority of OU courses are distance/online.

Have a look at http://www.open.ac.uk/ and send admissions some emails they will help you iam sure.

ReputationRep:
    The OU campus is in Milton Keynes, not Camden - and there is frankly no amount of work in the world that would warrant moving to Milton Keynes. You certainly don't need to move anywhere to study with the OU and I can see no point in doing so - but if during your studies you want/need to move for work or personal reasons, then one of the nice things about the OU is that you have the flexibility to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers guys

ReputationRep:
    If you moved to Scotland it would be free

ReputationRep:
    Scotland sounds good if it's free.

One last question, i hope i dont get on anyones nerves but could i go travelling if i did an open univeristy degree?

Just maybe log on for an hour at night or something or would it be too much?

ReputationRep:
    Generally this would be OK - like their website says:

If you are abroad for brief periods of time, you can continue your studies just as if you were at home. And as long as you have access to the internet, you will be able to use all the online services you usually use, whatever they are, for example online discussion groups or tutorials, course-related websites and the wide range of services offered by our online library service.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.