Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my second year of study, and last year recieved 5000 from SAAS. This year, despite my financial situation not changing, I'm only recieving 4500.

I should have recieved 4500 last year, however due to having siblings at home, I was given more money. This year, with one of my sisters going to university, I was expecting the parental contribution part of the loan to half, giving me over the 5000 I recieved last year. However, they've taken away both the parental contribution part of the loan, and the dependants at home bit, so I'm screwed.

This new system, which they claim is to give students more money, have actually left me with less than I was expecting, and also less than I recieved previously. Despite what SAAS says about my parents earning more than most, I recieve little to no help off of them, and don't really know what to do....

Anyone else been basically screwed over?
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I definitely understand why you're frustrated, but from SAAS' point of view, you are not an independent student and the loan you receive is in addition to parental contribution. I believe if you're under 25, your parents are legally required to make a contribution. I can't find where I originally read that because SAAS have changed their website since then, but it was on the site last year. Only option is to find a job to bump up your monthly income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catchingROBYNN)
    I recieve little to no help off of them, and don't really know what to do....
    This is the issue

The money that your parents save because your sibling is no longer at home should be given to you (and your sibling)

If they choose not to give you this money that is hardly the fault of Student Finance

So, ask your parents for the money or get a p/t job that covers the difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catchingROBYNN)
    I'm going into my second year of study, and last year recieved 5000 from SAAS. This year, despite my financial situation not changing, I'm only recieving 4500.

I should have recieved 4500 last year, however due to having siblings at home, I was given more money. This year, with one of my sisters going to university, I was expecting the parental contribution part of the loan to half, giving me over the 5000 I recieved last year. However, they've taken away both the parental contribution part of the loan, and the dependants at home bit, so I'm screwed.

This new system, which they claim is to give students more money, have actually left me with less than I was expecting, and also less than I recieved previously. Despite what SAAS says about my parents earning more than most, I recieve little to no help off of them, and don't really know what to do....

Anyone else been basically screwed over?
    Do you have a job? A lot of people have to get jobs at university because they only get 3500 which is barely enough to pay accomodation

ReputationRep:
    Get a job?

ReputationRep:
    I spent the last 3 years of uni with no money from SAAS because they assumed that as my parents made over the £34k limit it meant they shared it with me. They didn't. I worked between 20 and 30 hours a week for first to third year. I'll be happy with my £4500 for final year. Apologies for my lack of sympathy, but get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm also screwed. I live at home and I'm getting a thousand pounds less than last year due to some changes made this year. I'll have £10 spare every month after I've spent £400 every 10 weeks for travelling. Honestly what do they expect me to live on. And why is there no student discount on travelling?! There's a scheme aimed at 18-25 y/o that offer a third off tickets but is only valid after 10:30am. Eh.. a lot of my friends and myself have uni at 9.. no use at all!!

It's easy saying get a job but last year I was in uni 9-6 for half the week and til about 3 the other days with labs here and there. Having to travel takes about 2.5 hours ish each day if there's no delays. Even without a job by the time I'm home I'm totally shattered.. if I worked I really wouldn't be able to catch up with course work. Kudos to those that are able to work and study though.

ReputationRep:
    Also away to handle citizenship stuff for several weeks at the start of summer and doing a summer placement after that so I can't even try to get a summer job .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    I spent the last 3 years of uni with no money from SAAS because they assumed that as my parents made over the £34k limit it meant they shared it with me. They didn't. I worked between 20 and 30 hours a week for first to third year. I'll be happy with my £4500 for final year. Apologies for my lack of sympathy, but get a job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This doesn't make much sense- regardless of how much your parents earned in the old scheme, you would still have been entitled to the minimum of a £900 loan.

Personally I think the system is a lot fairer- giving everyone the option of £4500 regardless of parental income helps to compensate for the situations described where parents choose not to or are unable to provide the assumed financial support.

The rather judgmental 'get a job' is not and should not be the issue; it's not acceptable for student funding bodies to expect students from certain backgrounds but not others to work in order to compensate for a lack of funding (from whatever source). They need to provide a minimum level of support for all students so that certain groups don't suffer academically due to the need to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akj08)
    This doesn't make much sense- regardless of how much your parents earned in the old scheme, you would still have been entitled to the minimum of a £900 loan.
    £600. And unfortunately £60 a month when travel is £150 a month didn't quite cut it. Or £900 if I was living away from home. But unfortunately £90 a month when rent is around £250 a month doesn't quite cut it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    £600. And unfortunately £60 a month when travel is £150 a month didn't quite cut it. Or £900 if I was living away from home. But unfortunately £90 a month when rent is around £250 a month doesn't quite cut it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough, from your original post it looked like you literally got nothing.
    However I don't think it's right to suggest that certain people should have to 'get a job' because of their parental circumstances. I'm being idealistic here but I think everyone should be entitled to a basic support package (not dependent on huge parental contribution) so that no-one has to work during term-time; it should be an optional extra so that everyone has the same opportunities to make the most of their degree academically.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by akj08)
    Fair enough, from your original post it looked like you literally got nothing.
    However I don't think it's right to suggest that certain people should have to 'get a job' because of their parental circumstances. I'm being idealistic here but I think everyone should be entitled to a basic support package (not dependent on huge parental contribution) so that no-one has to work during term-time; it should be an optional extra so that everyone has the same opportunities to make the most of their degree academically.
    I do agree that no one should be forced to work, but at the same time, it's something a lot of students just have to do. I'd much rather work 12 hours over the weekend than live off a credit card/overdraft. I'm pleased SAAS have raised the minimum loan to £4500 though, it seems much fairer to me.

ReputationRep:
    I am personally SO glad that they are changing the rules this year, I was on £900 and my parents arn't able to contribute much.

As for the "Get a job" argument, a lot of people don't seem to take into account that this isn't necessarily easy as a full time student in many parts of the country. There's not a lot of entry level work going, and a lot of places don't want to give it to full time students who's hours they have to work around, and if you've not worked retail/bar work before, they certainly don't want to waste money training someone who's going to leave before long, when the economy's in the toilet and there are so many people on the dole.

I've tried many, many times to get part-time work around here and didn't even get a single interview.

ReputationRep:
    I had a bursary of £1500 last year... nothings changed yet im cut to £500 :/

Any ideas??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dav14)
    I had a bursary of £1500 last year... nothings changed yet im cut to £500 :/

Any ideas??
    Well things changed this year (thank goodness for me) - so maybe they changed the amount of bursary - do you get more loan now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissL)
    Well things changed this year (thank goodness for me) - so maybe they changed the amount of bursary - do you get more loan now?
    I think I may have actually. The letter just came in today and I think i may have a bigger loan which means its roughly evened out tbh.

I would have rather had a bigger bursary and smaller loan if anything though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.