The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance course help

Hi, I'm doing my first year of A-levels at the moment and is considering doing an Accounting and Finance degree.

Does anyone know how similar A-level accounting(AQA) is to the actual accounting and finance degree?

thanks
Reply 1
This is a good question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
From my rough understanding I believe the first year is relatively similar and involves a lot of recapping but obviously involves learning more complex matters. This is due to the fact some people may not have done accounting A Level so they must start with the basics (I doubt as basic as what is a debit and credit though).

I've done A level and am looking to study an accountancy degree in September. My friend (whom is in her degree) tells me that A level accountancy helped her in the first year a lot so one can only assume that the first year is quite similar to A level material. The best thing to do is go onto any university website (such as http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/business-economics/accountingandfinancialmanagement/ and compare the modules to what you will be studying).

I am currently finishing Level 4 AAT which I believe is to be of a higher standard than the first year of university and I found my A level helped me massively with this qualification.

I don't know if I've answered your question exactly but I hope I've given you a bit of an insight into what to expect next after your A level.

Best of luck and don't listen to the cliché of "all accountants are boring", it's not true! :wink:
I found Accountancy at A-Level and my first year at uni were pretty much the same. Again, because not everyone would have studied this at a-level.
My second and final year pretty much built on the basics of first year and got more complex but of course the foundations of 1st year help you to deal with that.

Good luck if you do end up doing it :smile:
For accounting modules at Uni, the A-level will be largely similar although we did more IFRS at Uni which wasn't covered so much at A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending