Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Given job offer even though I did not meet minimum requirements? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I recently applied to some graduate jobs that I didn't meet the minimum requirements. However I still managed to get through to the interview stages and subsequently to an offer for one of them.

The condition was 2:1 and 320 UCAS points from the top 3 A-levels in the same year so pretty much this is saying that they don't accept resits. I got the 2:1 and additionally the 320 UCAS points but instead of it being in the same year, one of my A-levels are a year apart due to me resitting one of them. However I still got an offer at the end and the topic was never brought up the two times I went in for an interview.

I must stress that on the application form I did not hide anything and everything is correct despite not meeting the minimum requirements. However I still got offered a position. I'm not sure whether they have a hidden leeway or if the HR screwed up.

I have confirmed my acceptance of the offer and the next stage is for them to verify my results from my certificates. They will find out that I do not meet their minimum requirements but at the same time I didn't hide this either. Do they have the right to cancel my offer? Surely it's their fault in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    If you've been through two interviews, my strong feeling is that the year in which you sat one of your A-levels won't now be a huge issue even in the event that they pick up on it.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by novadragon849)
    Hi guys

I recently applied to some graduate jobs that I didn't meet the minimum requirements. However I still managed to get through to the interview stages and subsequently to an offer for one of them...

I must stress that on the application form I did not hide anything and everything is correct despite not meeting the minimum requirements. However I still got offered a position. I'm not sure whether they have a hidden leeway or if the HR screwed up.
    There's always leeway, and at this point, having made you an offer, they want you. So long as you put the dates in correctly, they won't revoke the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    There's always leeway, and at this point, having made you an offer, they want you. So long as you put the dates in correctly, they won't revoke the offer.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if the contract says that the offer is conditional on you having those UCAS points then they could argue that since you didn't meet that condition then the offer is void. But hopefully they wouldn't do that since it would mean wasting a lot of people's time and they do want you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.