• View Poll Results: Were you bullied?
    Yes!
    68.52%
    No!
    31.48%

ReputationRep:
    As above. I'm just curious really.

ReputationRep:
    I won't type out all of it but most of the nasty behaviour towards me was on social networking sites or MSN.
    I was picked on in class, I won't call that bullying as it happens to everyone at some point and it was uncomfortable but not aggressive or regular. I've been called the c-word, had physical threats of being beaten up or strangled, made to feel bad for my voice and where I live, and I had sports equipment and elastic bands thrown at me.

The worst thing that happened was when my so-called friends turned on me, it lasted for about four months before I decided to leave. It was basically a shove though as a stupid ratty girl said, "there is someone here who we hate, she knows it, but still hangs round" (face-burning, heart-sinking reaction :lol:) I suppose she was [brutally] honest and in sixth form she was actually quite nice. One girl I dislike the most was the main meddler pretending to be on my side (even though there wasn't an argument) and we can be friends together without the others, so I was inclined to stay. I left after the seriously awkward and nasty comment was made, but didn't have any friends so I had lunch in the form room. :cool:

Up until recently I thought I was bullied by lots of people, but it was me being over-sensitive, even though they shouldn't have done it. I should have told my parents and they could have helped me with self-esteem or moving me to another school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    I won't type out all of it but most of the nasty behaviour towards me was on social networking sites or MSN.
    I was picked on in class, I won't call that bullying as it happens to everyone at some point and it was uncomfortable but not aggressive or regular. I've been called the c-word, had physical threats of being beaten up or strangled, made to feel bad for my voice and where I live, and I had sports equipment and elastic bands thrown at me.

The worst thing that happened was when my so-called friends turned on me, it lasted for about four months before I decided to leave. It was basically a shove though as a stupid ratty girl said, "there is someone here who we hate, she knows it, but still hangs round" (face-burning, heart-sinking reaction :lol:) I suppose she was [brutally] honest and in sixth form she was actually quite nice. One girl I dislike the most was the main meddler pretending to be on my side (even though there wasn't an argument) and we can be friends together without the others, so I was inclined to stay. I left after the seriously awkward and nasty comment was made, but didn't have any friends so I had lunch in the form room. :cool:

Up until recently I thought I was bullied by lots of people, but it was me being over-sensitive, even though they shouldn't have done it. I should have told my parents and they could have helped me with self-esteem or moving me to another school.
    I find it really strange when bullies are quite nice later. There was one kid who got an award for doing some charity work at my school and he was praised as a "nice lad", in my experience he was a complete thug - I met him later and he just seemed normal.

Regarding being over-sensitive. To me, its bullying if the person is trying to hurt you - if they are just joking (although clearly it can go too far) then you just need to be thick skinned - people aren't trying to hurt you.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been bullied like constantly or anything but there was one time when I was in my last year at primary and one boy just looked at me in pure disgust and said "Ew. You're really ugly". I felt so crushed </3. I'll never see the justification for wanting to make others feel terrible for no reason!

ReputationRep:
    Happened when I was 6 (maybe 7 idk) - This wasn't overly terrible looking back, but at the time it scared the living crap out of me:
    They invited me out (me being gullible/forgiving said yes) and took me to the train tracks near my house. There was a little fence that we climbed over to get on to the tracks and as a train came they vaulted back over and pushed me back when I tried following. I was still a good few metres from the tracks but hell it scared me o.O

ReputationRep:
    I got bullied badly in years 7/8 basically because i'm shy. Despite paper spit balls, chair kicking, having bits of rubber thrown at me etc, the name calling and whispering when i walked past was the worst - it really messes with your self esteem/ confidence. Now when i look back at the popular *****y girls who bullied me i realise they weren't even worth a tear - not only do they look like men in drag, but they failed all their exams and have had babies, of which they have no idea who the fathers are. i expect to see the morons on jeremy kyle soon!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    I find it really strange when bullies are quite nice later. There was one kid who got an award for doing some charity work at my school and he was praised as a "nice lad", in my experience he was a complete thug - I met him later and he just seemed normal.

Regarding being over-sensitive. To me, its bullying if the person is trying to hurt you - if they are just joking (although clearly it can go too far) then you just need to be thick skinned - people aren't trying to hurt you.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I suppose when they were bullies, it could have been to look cool, they were bullied themselves, insecure, or just immature. It's still no excuse to bully someone though.

I agree - bullying is done with the intent of making someone feel upset or to assert control. I do think name-calling is done to upset someone (unless the people have an in joke going or it's "banter"), but if it's only once, I wouldn't call it bullying as bullying has to go on for a while regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fash777)
    I got bullied badly in years 7/8 basically because i'm shy. Despite paper spit balls, chair kicking, having bits of rubber thrown at me etc, the name calling and whispering when i walked past was the worst - it really messes with your self esteem/ confidence. Now when i look back at the popular *****y girls who bullied me i realise they weren't even worth a tear - not only do they look like men in drag, but they failed all their exams and have had babies, of which they have no idea who the fathers are. i expect to see the morons on jeremy kyle soon!!
    +1

ReputationRep:
    the worst that happened to me was i was invited to my friends house in italy and me, the girl who lived there and two other girls went and every night they would wait till i went to sleep then wake up and go and ***** about me one night i woke up and found them and they decided to tell me everything they thought about me- your typical, your ugly, fat and all that- we had three days left and they spent the rest of it ignoring me lets to say i dont speak to those so called friends any more

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I was ever bullied in school. I was targeted for name calling but so was everyone else in the class. No individual is safe from being targeted lol. It was pretty fun, if I say so myself. I regret some of what I said as perhaps some people may remember me to have insulted them.

I've been called ugly by a male before, for no reason. That was odd. It was more shocking than anything. I was just like :confused:. The guy didn't even say 'no homo'.

Outside of school, a group of boys (a few older, some younger) used to irritate (I guess you could say bullying) me whenever I was outside. I once met one of them, an older one by themselves and he tried to threaten me. Ha, we ended up fighting and it didn't end well for him. After that, we had mutual respect. I didn't even fear any of them, it was more that I couldn't fight all of them at once.

Yeah, that's as far as it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I was the only asian, partaking in an athletics match..... I felt really insecure.. not that I was bullied and i'm over it now.. but I couldn't bare the racism from different schools saying 'ch*nky' is running.... or even... watch out.. she might bring the maths to the relay race.. I'm sorry but what the actual hell?? Not that I care anymore but is there a reason why I'm not allowed to compete?

ReputationRep:
    I was quite badly after moving schools, a rumour was made up about me - I was isolated for 6 months and laughed at and pushed around. It was awful, not gonna bother going into the details but it made me not wanna go school/lessons. I eventually found some friends but it also had a deep impact on my personality, making me quiet and confident which took quite a while to get over, even after 3 years. I am proud of how I have come back from that, it was one of the worst times of my life - safe to say that these bullies now either do **** all or are studying bull**** degrees at **** unis.
    Also had the standard ****-stirring with friends which can be crap but I don't really call that bullying.

ReputationRep:
    Usually violence but it lessened when I stood up for myself once and hit one of them in the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fash777)
    Same through my period of bullying it seemed as though EVERYONE HATED YOU. Alone and isolated etc... It took a while for me to realise it. Now I am doing significantly better in every aspect of life than the prime people responsible, I hate them though - I haven't been able to forgive them - I know I would punch them in the face if I could get away with it. My confidence was destroyed and took a while to build back up

ReputationRep:
    Yes, in many different ways.

2nd primary school (I had 4 lol - moved around a lot) - had no friends at all, people were racist towards me (the only biracial girl in my class, if not the whole school) and my Mum ended taking me out of the school after the teacher banned me from using scissors and asked the whole class to give an opinion on whether I should be allowed to use them again.

3rd primary school - I done alright here. Was still singled out for my racial heritage and these twin boys used to try and fight with me, but for the most part, it was okay and I have happy memories from there. Nothing sticks out too much.

4th primary school - back in London. Worst bullying ever. Attacked by several girls on my first day, presumably for looking at them wrong. Had a bulldog clip thrown at my face, locked inside a room while a boy threatened to stab me with scissors outside the door, beaten up, called names, leapt on and scratched deeply on my forehead (I still have the scar) and leapt on by a so called 'friend' but I fought back. It still hurts to think of what I went through then. I was constantly terrified about going to school. I still remember having an upset stomach at the thought of having to go back to school on Monday. I used to try and stay in the class with the teachers to hide from the girls that relentlessly bullied me, or I would look for the teacher on duty during break times and try and hide behind them. It was truly an awful time, I will never forgive those girls for how they treated me.

In secondary school, these same girls continued their bullying right up to about year 10 (by that point, I'd toughened up some and didn't really have it). I distinctly remember being in my local library when the whole gang of them came in. They called me names, intimidated me, hit me with umbrellas and basically humilated me. Another time, one of them came up to me while I was standing with a boy I liked at the time, and told him some lies about me. These same people would spread rumours about me all the time. The main girl who hated me was a friend of the girl who scarred me in primary school. I still don't know why these people hated me so much.

Also, when I was around 14 and my life was a mess, I hung around with this girl. She was a very violent person, and I was very subservient to her. I remember her pinning me up against the door because I refused to get up for the 3rd time to turn over the television. She also tried to extort money out of me, and when I refused, claimed I 'disrespected her Mum' and punched me in the face and threatened me. There's more to the story, but I've said enough. I was very lucky to get out of it.

There's been various other times of bullying, but these were the worst.

A lot of my past still affects me, but in a corny, roundabout way, it has made me stronger. I'm very sensitive, though, and defensive. I have to be assertive because I am so scared of being bullied again. I hope I can put it all behind me one day.

ReputationRep:
    I bully people. Well, I bully bullies into stopping them bullying because they are (bad word)s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)

That's the real mind-****. I was bullied terribly by one lad in particular. Although I did report it, I never felt able to say just how bad it was.

Anyway, the guy's in the police now, and is apparently a model cop!!

He added me on FB a few years back, with a sort of apology message. While I appreciated it, I didn't accept the add. I just felt too...weird (for want of a better word) about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathhead)
    I was quite badly after moving schools, a rumour was made up about me - I was isolated for 6 months and laughed at and pushed around. It was awful, not gonna bother going into the details but it made me not wanna go school/lessons. I eventually found some friends but it also had a deep impact on my personality, making me quiet and confident which took quite a while to get over, even after 3 years. I am proud of how I have come back from that, it was one of the worst times of my life - safe to say that these bullies now either do **** all or are studying bull**** degrees at **** unis.
    Also had the standard ****-stirring with friends which can be crap but I don't really call that bullying.
    I don't know why this was negged... ****er

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathhead)
    I don't know why this was negged... ****er
    No idea either :confused:

I often wonder if I'd be more confident as a person If I hadn't been bullied

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied because of my ethnicity. The bullying got so bad (I was beaten up and mocked nearly everyday in year 7), that my mother had to come to my school to complain. Fortunately, it got better as I made more friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2017
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.