Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have my English lit exam on Monday which will be on Inspector Calls and To Kill A Mockingbird. I’m aiming for an A but was lost on how to revise effectively for it (i am aware I’ve left it last minute :rolleyes:).

Other than past papers and re-reading the texts is there anything else i could do in order to ensure i get a high grade?

N.B if you could post links to relevant/useful websites it would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D Singh)
    Hi guys, I have my English lit exam on Monday which will be on Inspector Calls and To Kill A Mockingbird. I’m aiming for an A but was lost on how to revise effectively for it (i am aware I’ve left it last minute :rolleyes:).

Other than past papers and re-reading the texts is there anything else i could do in order to ensure i get a high grade?

N.B if you could post links to relevant/useful websites it would be greatly appreciated.
    Watch the context videos on YouTube for both books; re read the character profiles, analyse parts of the language; Writer's intentions ; link themes with character.
    I'm so scared for this exam! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    i am also doing these two on monday and BBC bitesize has been a godsend for me! it has themes, context, characters.. everything for both of them on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/

the only other thing i can suggest is TIMED past papers. it makes a huge different to time yourself when its an hour and 15 minute exam. AIC needs no more than 7 mins planning and TKAMB needs no more than 5 minutes each for part a and b.

ReputationRep:
    I find revising for English tedious even though I love the subject! my favourite way is to make clear well presented notes and keep looking over them, then in the exam my mind is able to remember key things easier. Also finding key quotes is really important because you don't have enough time in the exam to read the whole book. I'd learn a few key quotes or at least where abouts they are in the book. Good luck, i have the same exam too!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, you might want to put it into more relevant forum topics in the future. You could do active reading (identifying themes from a section of the book). You could also make a list of key quotes you could use for linking to other parts of the text. And, obviously, you could do essays (Though I think it's a bit late now)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.