Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have unconditional offers for Aberdeen and Edinburgh but can't decide which one to firm. I live in Aberdeen so staying here would mean that i am still close to my family and don't really get to experience uni as I would've if i moved further away, but I would definitely stay in halls because I know i wouldn't enjoy myself if i stayed at home.

The course at Aberdeen (Law + German Law) is better than the one at Edinburgh (German MA) but it's also 5-years long. I also have a job here and staying in Aberdeen would mean i get to keep my car. One of my good friends will be doing a similar course to mine so that's quite comforting.

At Edinburgh I would get to pick up other subjects that i'm interested in, halls are around the same price as in Aberdeen, and there is generally more to do. I'm worried about the degree and the graduate prospects with a degree in a language; i'm not even sure if i would like to study German anymore. I also don't know how lenient they are about people changing courses etc. Basically if the Aberdeen course was in Edinburgh I wouldn't hesitate. I'm just really scared i will make the wrong decision and end up hating it/wanting to transfer/wasting a year. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agnaw)
    -
    To my knowledge, you would study modules from three different subjects in your first year, should you choose to do so- at both Edinburgh and Aberdeen.
    I spoke to a representative from Edinburgh who said he originally applied to do History, and did first year Archaeology and Politics with International Relations as well as History. He ended up enjoying PIR so much that the degree he ended up doing was a PIR one. His degree says on it that he got whatever grade he got, in a PIR degree, rather than the History one that he originally applied to.
    I understand that you would be inclined to do first year German, but no more than that, provided you got decent grades in the other subjects that you did.

It is generally understood that Edinburgh is a better university than Aberdeen, and has a much stronger international reputation. For that reason, but not just that reason alone, I would choose Edinburgh over Aberdeen.

While it may make financial sense to stay where you are, I think you would find much more satisfaction at Edinburgh, in terms of university experience and academic success.

But that's just my opinion.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with whatever you do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.