Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I find it really hard to pick up A02 marks on the essay questions, i find it easy to criticise a study but i find it difficult to work out whats useful about the study so i was wondering for some help.

For Davis and Moore, i said its useful for explaining how education is a way of selecting people.

Does anyone know what's useful about the Chubb and Moe and Willis theory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyx)
    I find it really hard to pick up A02 marks on the essay questions, i find it easy to criticise a study but i find it difficult to work out whats useful about the study so i was wondering for some help.

For Davis and Moore, i said its useful for explaining how education is a way of selecting people.

Does anyone know what's useful about the Chubb and Moe and Willis theory?
    I think the best way to do that would be just to look at what the sociologist wants to find out, e.g.:

Willis was looking at the correspondence principle and whether it was true for all students, and found that some students rejected it and formed anti-school subcultures, so your AO2 would be he was successful in rejecting the idea of a correspondence principle being universal, cited relevant research (but a con would be it was only 12 'lads' and you can't generalise to females), and another piece of AO2 would be that Willis' study casts doubt on the correspondence principle applying to everyone.

For Chubb and Moe, my evaluation notes say that their study of USA schools was a really large sample, so this is a plus point. I guess you could also say as a strength is that while identifying the problem (state school kids not doing as well) they put forward a solution in the form of vouchers.

Hope that has helped somewhat! AO2 is definitely my weakest point too. Just remember AO2 is for "application, analysis, interpretation and evaluation" so you can get the marks in a range of different ways, really.

Good luck for Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auralay)
    I think the best way to do that would be just to look at what the sociologist wants to find out, e.g.:

Willis was looking at the correspondence principle and whether it was true for all students, and found that some students rejected it and formed anti-school subcultures, so your AO2 would be he was successful in rejecting the idea of a correspondence principle being universal, cited relevant research (but a con would be it was only 12 'lads' and you can't generalise to females), and another piece of AO2 would be that Willis' study casts doubt on the correspondence principle applying to everyone.

For Chubb and Moe, my evaluation notes say that their study of USA schools was a really large sample, so this is a plus point. I guess you could also say as a strength is that while identifying the problem (state school kids not doing as well) they put forward a solution in the form of vouchers.

Hope that has helped somewhat! AO2 is definitely my weakest point too. Just remember AO2 is for "application, analysis, interpretation and evaluation" so you can get the marks in a range of different ways, really.

Good luck for Tuesday

Thank you, that has helped me a lot!! but i thought it was Bowles and Gintis who argued the Correspondence principle?

Thank you, good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyx)
    Thank you, that has helped me a lot!! but i thought it was Bowles and Gintis who argued the Correspondence principle?

Thank you, good luck to you too
    I think Bowles and Gintis put forward the idea of the correspondence principle, then Willis rejected it by saying not all pupils obey authority, follow rules etc.

And thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auralay)
    I think Bowles and Gintis put forward the idea of the correspondence principle, then Willis rejected it by saying not all pupils obey authority, follow rules etc.

And thank you!
    This is true ^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.