OCR A2 English Literature Exam 6th June 2013 Watch

loni
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TSR_Monique)
How would you structure an essay for section B? We've never done any before and I'm so worried about this.
We've done loads on this in class!
For the intro, define the words of the question to present the path of the argument you're going to pursue so that the examiner understands how you''re interpreting it.
For the main essay, basically try and write roughly '3 things about 3 things' so pick the three strongest links between the two texts, then make three developed points about those links using PEC (point, evidence, explanation)
Conclusions I am rubbish at, I guess you need to say what decision you've come to about the question.
TSR_Monique
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm okay with language, but does anyone have any structure and form points for King Lear and The Wife of Bath/The Rivals?

Also, does anyone have any high level essays (preferably A/A*) that they could post on here so that I can have a look at what we need to do? My class haven't written any essays all year (other than coursework) and I'm really panicking about how to structure the essay in the exam and what you need to do to get the top marks as I need an A* in this! If anyone could post an essay I would be eternally grateful! Thank you sooo much in advance!
Alex360
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm okay with language, but does anyone have any structure and form points for King Lear and The Wife of Bath/The Rivals?

Also, does anyone have any high level essays (preferably A/A*) that they could post on here so that I can have a look at what we need to do? My class haven't written any essays all year (other than coursework) and I'm really panicking about how to structure the essay in the exam and what you need to do to get the top marks as I need an A* in this! If anyone could post an essay I would be eternally grateful! Thank you sooo much in advance!
For King Lear Structure or form (I do not know which one is which) My teacher told us:

5 Acts like Shakespeare's other tragedies meaning he took on the the classical model of Tragedy of Horace Ars Poetica

King Lear is 'in media res' (begins in the middle of the action)

King Lear also fits on Freytargs Dramatic Arc. In the Main Plot -
Exposition = The Love Test
Rising Action = Banishment of the characters of reason and Lear himself
Climax = Lear in the storm
Falling Action = Blinding of Gloucester and Lears madness
Denouement = Death of Goneril, Reagan, Cordelia, Lear and the revelation of Edmund's plan

The Dramatic Arc for the subplot stops after the climax because that is when both plots mix together as Edgar meets Lear etc -
Exposition = Edmund and Edgar's legitimacy and inheritance
Rising Action = The establishment of Edmunds Plot
Climax = Edgar Runs away, Gloucester called a traitor
TSR_Monique
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alex360)
For King Lear Structure or form (I do not know which one is which) My teacher told us:

5 Acts like Shakespeare's other tragedies meaning he took on the the classical model of Tragedy of Horace Ars Poetica

King Lear is 'in media res' (begins in the middle of the action)

King Lear also fits on Freytargs Dramatic Arc. In the Main Plot -
Exposition = The Love Test
Rising Action = Banishment of the characters of reason and Lear himself
Climax = Lear in the storm
Falling Action = Blinding of Gloucester and Lears madness
Denouement = Death of Goneril, Reagan, Cordelia, Lear and the revelation of Edmund's plan

The Dramatic Arc for the subplot stops after the climax because that is when both plots mix together as Edgar meets Lear etc -
Exposition = Edmund and Edgar's legitimacy and inheritance
Rising Action = The establishment of Edmunds Plot
Climax = Edgar Runs away, Gloucester called a traitor
Thank you
loni
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I only have one essay but I got 28/30 on it and my teacher said he marked it harshly so I think it should be around an A*, hope it helps!
He said the A02 and A03 was particularly strong as well
Attached files
antonia95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pinksugar)
I'm hoping its one about the inversion of the natural order or Lear's duty as king. The differences between young and old is a favourite for me too!

I'm really worried about this exam (maybe more than my maths ones which is a first). I panicked so bad last year and I can't afford to do the same this year. Does anyone have any tips for keeping calm and remembering quotes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what would you include on an essay on differences between young and old?
pinksugar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by antonia95)
what would you include on an essay on differences between young and old?
young/ old in general (not differences):
- How Edmund, Regan and Goneril treat their parents (manipulate, make fun of, disrespect)
- The fool mocks Lear's lack of wisdom. It's implied that there is a big age gap
- That Cordelia and Edgar almost become carers for their parents at the end of the play
- Lear and Gloucester tend to look towards the gods and the heavens for a reason for their suffering. Albany thinks gods make men evil.
- Lear declines into madness whilst Ed, R+G are at the height of their power.
- Lear is described as child like towards the end
- the evil younger characters invert the natural order which L + G strongly believe in

I'm not really sure if this is what you're looking for or if it makes much sense, I've been doing maths all morning!

Posted from TSR Mobile
JakeAReynolds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ignore this!
Alex360
Rep:
?
So how did we all find the exam then? (we're not breaking any rules as we're on OCR so are allowed to discuss straight afterwards)
adamlaurence
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys, I hope everyone's exam went well. Just wanted to know what people think the best version of innocence and experience to buy is, e.g. good introduction and notes throughout (optional)?
Alex360
Rep:
?
(Original post by adamlaurence)
Hi guys, I hope everyone's exam went well. Just wanted to know what people think the best version of innocence and experience to buy is, e.g. good introduction and notes throughout (optional)?
Probably a bit late now. But in my sixth form we were just told to print out the poems. The whole collection is online. Because you can add more annotations

For additional A03/A04 we used internet stuff, and a other pastoral poetry e.g. Shepeardes Calendar, the OCR guide's. With Songs of Innocence and Experience essays you'll find you're writing about similar context anyway.
ElizabethMae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey I'm studying King Lear and Volpone this year for my A2. Our Poetry hasnt been decided yet as.. well... our english department has been appalling to put it nicely... so i'm trying to teach myself as much of the A Level as possible as I really don't trust them.

anyway, could someone tell me what the questions were from last year's paper - or perhaps what they were based on, particularly the King Lear one?

if anyone has any tips/sources that could help me too I would be really grateful english lit is my only chance of an A, and i feel like my department are going to let me down. thanks x
lucymaddie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. 'Gloucester is no less a tragic figure than his king.'
By considering the role and dramatic presentation of Gloucester in King Lear, evaluate this view.

2. By considering the dramatic effects of King Lear, evaluate the view that 'despite the appalling suffering, the world of the play is not without hope'.
Explore the reasons why Nahum Tate felt it necessary to change the ending of the play, and why you think Tate's version was the only King Lear seen from 1681-1838
misskk18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey i was wondering of anyone is doing paradise lost for section B because i am not at all confident in it And as for the king lear bit out teacher was mainly thinking a qs on tragedy/tragic figure or nature/ God
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.89%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.44%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (94)
17.84%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (77)
14.61%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.25%
How can I be the best version of myself? (158)
29.98%

Watched Threads