Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I apologize in advance if there's already a thread regarding this!

I applied to start a university course doing Engineering with a foundation year starting in September, bit of a career change, as in sixth form I was planning on going a different route. I have enough UCAS points to do so but got turned down. I got in contact with some of the universities and was told I should do an Access to HE course in the coming year since I had no academic history of doing any relevant course to engineering!

Been looking into which colleges to attend to do this, my local college in Carlisle doesn't have the course, so will have to leave to do so. I've found a few full time courses in cities not too far from here.

My concern is that, would I still be eligible for student finance for living costs? I know I can get finance from the Advanced Learning Loans for over 24's for the tuition fees, but it could be a bit of a struggle having only a part time job and having to pay accommodation etc.

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    There's no other student finance for Access courses I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshT89)
    Hey everyone! I apologize in advance if there's already a thread regarding this!

I applied to start a university course doing Engineering with a foundation year starting in September, bit of a career change, as in sixth form I was planning on going a different route. I have enough UCAS points to do so but got turned down. I got in contact with some of the universities and was told I should do an Access to HE course in the coming year since I had no academic history of doing any relevant course to engineering!

Been looking into which colleges to attend to do this, my local college in Carlisle doesn't have the course, so will have to leave to do so. I've found a few full time courses in cities not too far from here.

My concern is that, would I still be eligible for student finance for living costs? I know I can get finance from the Advanced Learning Loans for over 24's for the tuition fees, but it could be a bit of a struggle having only a part time job and having to pay accommodation etc.

Thanks!
    As OU Student said, the only finance available for Access Courses are 24+ Loans and they only cover tuition fees.

Bear in mind however, that just because you want to do Engineering doesn't mean you have to find and do the specific Access to Engineering course. You might find that universities would accept Access to Science as long as it was tailored towards Engineering with the relevant study of mathematics and physics etc. A Level students are only expected to have maths and another science for example.

I've just checked and it seems that Carlisle College is listed as offering Access to Science, Engineering and Computing though:

https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSite...E%2blthxRkM%3d

Hope that helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.