Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm starting A-Levels in September and I wanted to do Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy and R.S but I'm thinking of changing R.S to Spanish. I do Spanish GCSE and so far I have B in all of my speaking and writing controlled assessments, I sat higher Reading paper yesterday but Foundation listening because I'm really bad with listening.
    I think I'd love to do it A-Level, and languages are apparently good for universities but surely only if you actually do well in them?
    I don't know if I should change my options, would I be able to handle Spanish A-Level, what's it really like?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hard. People underestimate the difficulty of Spanish at GCSE - with this subject the gap is particularly significant. Spanish at AS level requires consistency in work and effort - something that you can't always guarantee will happen as the work piles up. It's definitely not a subject you can cram for with revision before the exam - your skills need to develop and flourish throughout the year, which is not a long time (especially regarding the oral exam in early May)

ReputationRep:
    I take both French and Spanish (people called me crazy for taking both due to twice the amount of speaking preparation etc) and personally I like it. The course is good but the grammar is very hard at times and for a few months it was my most hated subject and I doubted myself because I had only been learning Spanish for a year and my teacher was absent for months.

However, if you already love Spanish and are looking to work hard and get a solid A-Level which is also practical then yes do Spanish. If you are half-hearted about it now, don't waste your time because you will just regret it and this could affect your attitude towards your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently sitting my AS mock exam in about a week in both French and Spanish. I achieved an A* in both languages at GCSE level with a very high UMS mark - this easily carried me into college to carry both subjects at A Level, and am currently predicted As in both languages. I think to do languages you need a certain flair, an innate natural ability to be able to flourish into a new tongue throughout the year. Think of the vocabulary/grammar points you do at GCSE, then times the quantity of that by 30 and the difficulty by 50. It's fine if you're getting Bs in oral and written exams, but foundation listening might be pushing it a bit because it is a core component of the whole A-Level - they say there is a three-grade gap between GCSE and A Level. The intensive learning that goes on in each lesson and the number of handouts/amount of homework is crazy, but do-able. Expect a lot of essays. On the whole, I fully recommend taking Spanish at a higher level and welcome you to do so - hope this was helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_Brrrown)
    I'm currently sitting my AS mock exam in about a week in both French and Spanish. I achieved an A* in both languages at GCSE level with a very high UMS mark - this easily carried me into college to carry both subjects at A Level, and am currently predicted As in both languages. I think to do languages you need a certain flair, an innate natural ability to be able to flourish into a new tongue throughout the year. Think of the vocabulary/grammar points you do at GCSE, then times the quantity of that by 30 and the difficulty by 50. It's fine if you're getting Bs in oral and written exams, but foundation listening might be pushing it a bit because it is a core component of the whole A-Level - they say there is a three-grade gap between GCSE and A Level. The intensive learning that goes on in each lesson and the number of handouts/amount of homework is crazy, but do-able. Expect a lot of essays. On the whole, I fully recommend taking Spanish at a higher level and welcome you to do so - hope this was helpful.
    You're taking your As mock next week? That seems quite late in thr year! Which exam board are you with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomj45)
    You're taking your As mock next week? That seems quite late in thr year! Which exam board are you with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does right :confused: The only explanation I can think of, is that they're doing some sort of linear course, where all the exams are taken at the end of year 13?
    Hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomj45)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm with OCR

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok I'm with aqa so the timings are different

ReputationRep:
    It's like a whole different language

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.