Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Alternative history: It's 1700, the British Parliament passes a bill of isolation, the British pack their bags in Jamaica, the British abandon Moose factory,the eastern colonies, Boston, Maryland have all colonizers to come back to Britain, leaving the lands vacant.
    Thus there is no colonization of India, no settlement of Australia ( by the british) , No colonial wars with the French and Spanish.

The Dutch are also left to fend off Spain + France on their own. However, they don't face competition from Britain when expanding of course.

Who would control these regions by 1913? ( Before WW1 )

- Canada

- Louisiana, Florida, the eastern seaboard ( North America )

- South Africa

- Egypt - Sudan - Kenya - Uganda - Nigeria.

- Australia

- The Indian subcontinent.

- Burma, and British Chinese colonies e.g HK + SH.

This is SPECULATIVE HISTORY, I understand the chances of parliament passing such a bill are slim to nothing, but regardless It would be interesting to hear your responses.

Also assume unification Of Scotland + England still goes ahead.

ReputationRep:

- Canada-Controlled by a mixture of France and the Dutch.

- Louisiana, Florida, the eastern seaboard ( North America )-Part of the French empire, although I expect the rest of America would still belong to the native Americans, perhaps with their own nation like Britain supported during the war of 1812.

- South Africa-France

- Egypt - Sudan - Kenya - Uganda - Nigeria.-A mixture of the Ottoman Empire, France and Germany.

- Australia-Japanese Empire.

- The Indian subcontinent.-Ottoman/Japanese split.

- Burma, and British Chinese colonies e.g HK + SH.-Japanese Empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pembleton)

- Canada-Controlled by a mixture of France and the Dutch

Interesting, I'd assumed Canada would be all under French control as we fought them for it. What areas do you think the dutch would take?

- Louisiana, Florida, the eastern seaboard ( North America )-Part of the French empire, although I expect the rest of America would still belong to the native Americans, perhaps with their own nation like Britain supported during the war of 1812.

Spain controlled Florida, Mexico and large parts of south America + Cuba / Haiti. Don't you think that maybe they would have been able to hold Florida and maybe even push into the eastern seaboard. They may of expanded north aswel? The Cherokee tribes were north of Florida.

You think the native americans could of held the west? Maybe Spain would have been able to keep her colonies without wars with Britain, as long as Catholic ties kept Frnace Passive and thus would of been able to push west?
    - South Africa-France
    Why France, I was thinking Dutch/ German.
    - Egypt - Sudan - Kenya - Uganda - Nigeria.-A mixture of the Ottoman Empire, France and Germany. Yeah the ottomans would probably hold Egypt, but maybe the French would have taken it.

Which nation would get which between France and Germany?
    - Australia-Japanese Empire.
    The japanese were very isolationist untill the late 19th centuary, I'd see the French settling the south and east, with the dutch getting the west.

- The Indian subcontinent.-Ottoman/Japanese split.
    The ottomans never got past Persia, The french and dutch would have been likely to colonize further as both had large amounts of trade in the area, the French even owned parts of India temporarily and fought the British Maybe Portugal could of expanded out of Goa?
    - Burma, and British Chinese colonies e.g HK + SH.-Japanese Empire.
    Japan would be likely, maybe France would of snapped up Burma/ Signapore in their SE Asian Empire. Hk and shanghai could go to any European power or Japan IMO as they were set up as trading areas, CHina may of even kept them, but it's unlikely due to their strategic positioning for trade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Japan would be likely, maybe France would of snapped up Burma/ Signapore in their SE Asian Empire. Hk and shanghai could go to any European power or Japan IMO as they were set up as trading areas, CHina may of even kept them, but it's unlikely due to their strategic positioning for trade.
    I completely forgot about Spain! Damn!

I think the Dutch could take some of the east of Canada but not for very long, as France would have easily beat them off eventually.

The native Americans could have held the west of America I expect then, with Spanish and French territory but in the end France would have triumphed over Spanish colonies and taken them over.

The reason I said France for South Africa was simply France's push into Africa, along with all the others, during the 19th century. I reckon France would have got there first. Then again, maybe even Belgium would have tapped into South Africa?

Egypt and Kenya for France. Sudan, Uganda and Nigeria for the Germans perhaps.

The French, like with Indochina, may have taken HK and Burma I suppose then, although the Japanese expansion was also likely depending on when each empire went for those areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pembleton)
    I completely forgot about Spain! Damn!

I think the Dutch could take some of the east of Canada but not for very long, as France would have easily beat them off eventually.

The native Americans could have held the west of America I expect then, with Spanish and French territory but in the end France would have triumphed over Spanish colonies and taken them over.

The reason I said France for South Africa was simply France's push into Africa, along with all the others, during the 19th century. I reckon France would have got there first. Then again, maybe even Belgium would have tapped into South Africa?

Egypt and Kenya for France. Sudan, Uganda and Nigeria for the Germans perhaps.

The French, like with Indochina, may have taken HK and Burma I suppose then, although the Japanese expansion was also likely depending on when each empire went for those areas.

Thanks for your reply. I believe that the french and Spanish would be reluctant to go to war due to their historical friendships and cultural and religious similarities, especially with the dutch and Germans as a common enemy.

Also maybe there would of been a cowboy movement with settlers of French and Spanish colonies moving westwards to take profitable lands off weaker native Americans.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone else like to weigh in?

ReputationRep:
    Canada would have been ruled by the French I expect, since even with our colonisation they still had an impact on the area with certain regions speaking French.

For the US Eastern seaboard, Spain already controlled Florida and could maybe have pushed Northwards, but I expect the French would take it over eventually. Especially bearing in mind they would have been in control of all the islands Britain owned in the Caribbean.

Egypt is another country I think would have been under French control given their success in the rest of North Africa although I think the rest of the African countries could really have gone to any of the countries involved in the scramble for Africa.

With Australia I think there is a chance it might not have been colonialised since we only used it as a prison camp to start with. For the rest of the places you mentioned I don't really know. Maybe if India was left on it's own with all its wealth it might have been able to develope into a more westernised society like Japan has done?

ReputationRep:
    Canada- France, mostly. I'm not sure how interested the Spanish would have been in going north of California, but it's a possibility. The Ruskies might also have expanded Alaska.

Louisiana, Florida, the eastern seaboard ( North America ) - Seeing as the Dutch and Swedes had left the Eastern Seaboard by 1700, likely France.

South Africa - The Dutch

Egypt - Sudan - Kenya - Uganda - Nigeria - The French probably would have had Egypt, Sudan and Nigeria. Kenya and Uganda might have gone to the Germans in the later Scramble for Africa as they were in the area anyway.

Australia - The Dutch possibly?

The Indian subcontinent - Portugal, but France might have been interested in expanding their enclaves there, and Sri Lanka possibly would have been Dutch.

Burma, and British Chinese colonies - Not sure about Burma, but China might have a lot more German influence, seeing as that happened anyway.

ReputationRep:
    North America would be split between the French and Spanish, with the Spanish in the south and the French in the north.
    India would have been split between the Dutch, Portuguese and French, but the French would probably have captured the holdings of the other two due to their superior resources.
    Bearing in mind that Australia was discovered by James Cook, its impossible to say who would have colonised it if the British hadn't.
    Africa would probably have been split between the major powers as happened.
    The French would have become significantly more powerful in Europe, as they wouldn't have had the pesky Brits holding them back.
    In short, France would have been the main beneficiary if Britain hadn't had an empire.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think England would unified with Scotland without the empire. It was Scotland's poverty that drove the impetuous for unification. Without an empire Britain would've been poorer and there would be no motivation for the Scots to agree to a unification.

France would be in control of Africa and Asia.

Dutch/French in charge of North America

Spanish power would still decline in South America

Napoleon arrives and conquers Holland and Spain. France rules the world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.