Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I the only one who thinks Beckham is overrated watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion he was just an average footballer or am I the only one who thinks so, plus does anyone find the overrepresentation of him in the media annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree he was over-rated aswell, I mean, it's not as if he was runner-up for the World Player of the Year award (twice) or anything was he.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sucess)
    In my opinion he was just an average footballer or am I the only one who thinks so, plus does anyone find the overrepresentation of him in the media annoying.
    His record kind of speaks for itself; captaining his country for six years, won the premier league six times, the fa cup twice, la liga once, ligue one etc. I see where you're coming from for the overrated bit, but saying he's "just an average player" is massively questionable. Just average players don't get to be named in a team of the decade, nor do they get runner up for world player of the year twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I'd agree he was over-rated aswell, I mean, it's not as if he was runner-up for the World Player of the Year award (twice) or anything was he.....
    so was lampard, it doesn't takeaway the fact that he is overrated

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like the amount of publicity he received but he was no doubt a quality footballer, obviously not at the top level with the likes of Messi/CR7/Zidane etc but a few levels below that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    I'd love to see you emulate him!

You won't even come close to 1% of the sucess he has had, Mr Sucess.
    who said i will, i just said he is overrated

fyi SUCCESS username was already taken, James

ReputationRep:

Get the hint of sarcasm by me saying 'sucess' ?

ReputationRep:

I guess you weren't very SUCCESSFUL in that endeavour then :mmm:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudge09)
    His record kind of speaks for itself; captaining his country for six years, won the premier league six times, the fa cup twice, la liga once, ligue one etc. I see where you're coming from for the overrated bit, but saying he's "just an average player" is massively questionable. Just average players don't get to be named in a team of the decade, nor do they get runner up for world player of the year twice.
    okay maybe saying average was a bit too much, I should have been more specific, from 2006 to now he was below average for instance in England matches you barely saw him unless a corner came, hence why I fail to understand this overrepresentation of him in the media and even given the honor of captaining PSG tonight, for someone who has been there for there six months he doesn't deserve that.

just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    okay maybe saying average was a bit too much, I should have been more specific, from 2006 to now he was below average for instance in England matches you barely saw him unless a corner came, hence why I fail to understand this overrepresentation of him in the media and even given the honor of captaining PSG tonight, for someone who has been there for there six months he doesn't deserve that.

just my opinion
    I completely understand it too, but he is retiring at the end of the season, he has had a phenomenal career, and he's a leader on the pitch, so I think the captaincy decision was totally justified. His over representation in the media is due to the combination of him being outstandingly handsome and deemed by many to be a national hero. It's bound to happen, he's arguably the most famous player to have lived if you take into account those who have no interest in football whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    My bad its actually Henry lol.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

just my opinion
    Messi hasn't done much for Argentina, is he average too then?

ReputationRep:
    so was lampard, it doesn't takeaway the fact that he is overrated
    If you're saying that Beckham and to an extent Lampard are over-rated then that would mean that they would be seen as average players and not go on to do much in the game.

But just look at both men's titles won and it says it all if they are over-rated or not.

I think you've got rose-tinted glasses on and are focusing on a time-frame of Beckham (from 2006 like you said you were) when he'd already achieved so much prior at Manchester United.

I'd admit that the off-field publicity wasn't ideally likeable for me but what the heck, if he's able to maximise his earning potential further then why should he be criticised for that and judged for that?

Sounds like you're more envious of the LIFE he's had rather than the footballing side of things.

ReputationRep:
    Well, considering he was 31 in 2006, spending most of his time playing in an inferior league, and had passed his peak....

Why judge a person's footballing ability on what they were like in their 30s? Or is it because you're too young to remember him from 1995 - 2005?

He didn't have substantial flair, or technical ability beyond was he was obviously good at. He rarely dribbled past players for example. However, there were few, if any, better than him at what he did (crossing, long to mid range passing, free kicks).

Take a look at any Manchester United season when he was a regular, particularly the treble winning season, and you'll see his importance to the team. Perfectly timed crosses, leading to goals, on a fairly consistant basis.

(Original post by smudge09)
    I completely understand it too, but he is retiring at the end of the season, he has had a phenomenal career, and he's a leader on the pitch, so I think the captaincy decision was totally justified. His over representation in the media is due to the combination of him being outstandingly handsome and deemed by many to be a national hero. It's bound to happen, he's arguably the most famous player to have lived if you take into account those who have no interest in football whatsoever.
    I don't know. Pele's still pretty damn famous.

(Original post by Aky786UK)
    If you're saying that Beckham and to an extent Lampard are over-rated then that would mean that they would be seen as average players and not go on to do much in the game.
    To be fair though, it doesn't. You can recognise a player such as Lampard or Beckham (or Messi, the Ronaldos, Seedorf, Van Basten...) as overrated but still recognise them as very good footballers - perhaps even some of the best of their generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Messi hasn't done much for Argentina, is he average too then?
    When he plays for Argentina I guess he is

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say overrated, more lucky. He is/was good, but he's also been lucky with the clubs he's gone to.

ReputationRep:
    I think he's overrated and can't stand everyone sucking up to him as if he was whiter than white.

On a side note I saw a clip of an assist he done at Real and it was very impressive (long ball curling cross) but he wasn't doing that sort of stuff on a consistent basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I think he's overrated and can't stand everyone sucking up to him as if he was whiter than white.
    Who is?

On a side note I saw a clip of an assist he done at Real and it was very impressive (long ball curling cross) but he wasn't doing that sort of stuff on a consistent basis.
    This?

ReputationRep:
    even people on dailymail are annoyed just read the comments lol

ReputationRep:
    He's not the best player there has ever been, but he knew what he could do and he did it to a consistently high level for a number of clubs and at international level. One of England's best players in my lifetime without a doubt.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 19, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.