Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was offered a place again my my 6th Form after dropping out and was given an option of doing Maths as my 4th A-Level and only for AS. It's unlikely I'll be able to do 3 A-Levels in 1st year and progress with 'em for A2 so I will have to live through it.

Just a small question for those who are doing or have done A-Level Maths: is the AS Maths hard? I've done it for GCSE, obviously, and got B - few marks off an A - which makes me quite optimistic about it but A-Levels aren't anywhere near as easy as GCSEs so I'm a bit worried. :P

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    AS Maths is all pretty much algebra. You need to be absolutely solid with it.

I was in similar position regarding Maths. I got a low A at GCSE, chose Maths at A Level and still do it at A2 now.

IMO, looking back, I can say you will struggle but a lot of hard work and perseverance will pay off. I'll admit I have resit most of my AS Maths exams (probably because once you do A2 then AS seems easy and you can improve).

If you do do Maths, then I recommend you take some time towards end of summer to brush up on your algebra. (Factorising, expanding, rearranging formula, quadratic equation, simultaneous equations, surds, indices)

ReputationRep:
    Algebra... Hm. I was okay with some of it but did find it pretty confusing at times. Based on what you've mentioned, I'll struggle with at least half of it like I did at GCSE but somehow got grade A in Unit 3 exam of GCSE Maths which had that stuff.

That answers my question. I have time to think about a different option instead - if any fits me - or start working on algebra very soon. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCatalyst)
    Algebra... Hm. I was okay with some of it but did find it pretty confusing at times. Based on what you've mentioned, I'll struggle with at least half of it like I did at GCSE but somehow got grade A in Unit 3 exam of GCSE Maths which had that stuff.

That answers my question. I have time to think about a different option instead - if any fits me - or start working on algebra very soon. :P
    I'm mainly using exam solutions which helped me get a good grade on AS.
    For unit 3 I only got a B and on course for an A at AS.

As maths looks good and all that requires is practice. There's a few gcse topics like completing the squAre but it's like 10-15% of the AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 20, 2013
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.