The Student Room Group

International Student (Swiss) - UK driving licence

Hi

I have a question regarding UK driving licences. Just some information beforehand:

- I am Swiss, 22 years of age
- I will start my engineering course at Cambridge in October
- I will arrive in the UK in September, I think
- I have never held a driving licence of any country before (... even though I have done some driving, but let's not dwell on that. ^^)

I would like to get a UK driving licence. I have read up on the subject and I think I understand how the system works for UK nationals.

However, I am not quite sure about foreigners - usually, when I encounter any information regarding foreigners, it's about how to convert your foreign driving licence into a british one, which however does NOT help me.

So my questions are:
- I have read on forums and the like that I can do the practical test only after having been a resident for over 6 months - is that correct? I seem to be too dumb to find official information about that.
- Anyway, before even contemplating a practical test, I'd have to get a provisional licence, pass the theory test and take lessons. Can I do all of this regardless of how long I've been in the UK?
- Do any other restrictions apply?

Oh, and one more:
- What about motorcycle licences? Again, I've read up on the subject, but non-UK nationals weren't really mentioned...

Can anyone help me? It would be amazing if I could get some links to official documents on this... Thanks a lot!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by shakerist
https://www.gov.uk/non-gb-driving-licence/y/student_in_gb/non_eea_ec

YES! Thank you, this is exactly what i was looking for.

Now just one question remains - why did they put this paragraph:

"If you don’t have a driving licence yet, or your licence is from a ‘non-designated country’, you’ll first need to apply for a provisional GB licence. You can then take a driving test and apply for a full licence once you’ve been in GB for at least 6 months."

... under the heading "If you’ve got a non-European Union (EU) driving licence or international driving permit you can drive in Great Britain (GB) for 12 months." or indeed as the answer to "Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence"?

It has nothing to do with it, which is why i didn't find it... well, thanks anyway!

What about motorcycles, do I also have to be in the UK for 6 months before being able to take the practical test?

(btw: http://www.geton.co.uk/files/mcia/moderator-uploads/user1181/2013_licence_routes_flow_chart_high_res.png)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Elcano

What about motorcycles, do I also have to be in the UK for 6 months before being able to take the practical test?

(btw: http://www.geton.co.uk/files/mcia/moderator-uploads/user1181/2013_licence_routes_flow_chart_high_res.png)

Once you get your provisional licence (Learners licence) which you can get as soon as you get here, u just need to take a CBT course, which will allow you to drive any motorbike up to 125cc with L plates. You need to do the motorbike practical within 2 years of ur cbt, otherwise u will have to redo your cbt. Until you do the practical, you are not allowed on motorways and cannot carry passengers.

Once you complete your practical you will hold a A2 licence since you are over 19 you can ride any bike up to 46.6bhp and carry passengers.
Reply 4
oh yeah and : http://www.papool.co.uk/driving-in-uk.aspx
Driving in Great Britain as a student

"If you are a student holding a community licence you may drive cars and motorcycles in Great Britain for as long as your licence remains valid. If you don’t have a licence you must have been studying here for at least six months before taking a driving test or applying for a full licence."- so you can get your provisional beforehand but you have to wait 6 months before you can do the test

"If you are a student holding a non-community licence or an international driving permit you may drive here for up to 12 months.
For up to five years after becoming resident, you can apply to exchange your driving licence from a designated country for a British one.
If you don’t hold a licence, or your licence was not issued in a designated country, you’ll need to apply for a provisional licence and pass a driving test. You will be able to take a test and obtain a full licence once you have been in Great Britain for six months."
Reply 5
Original post by shakerist

Ok, thanks a lot! I think I know now how it works. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest