The Student Room Group

AQA MM1B - Friday 24th May 2013 (AM) Official Thread

Hi, I'm retaking Mechanics after my 82 UMS in January, hoping for 100 this time! How is everyone revising? Do you have any favourite topics/hated topics we can discuss here? Are you confident? Feel free to discuss all things AQA* MM1B here, including all post exam discussion. Good Luck Everyone!*Please note, this thread is intended for discussion of the AQA MM1B paper.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 002
Hi, I'm retaking Mechanics after my 82 UMS in January, hoping for 100 this time! How is everyone revising? Do you have any favourite topics/hated topics we can discuss here? Are you confident? Feel free to discuss all things AQA* MM1B here, including all post exam discussion. Good Luck Everyone!*Please note, this thread is intended for discussion of the AQA MM1B paper.

Hey, I'm retaking as well. I got 80 UMS which is JUST into the A boundary but I want to get around 95 as it is an easy module and would help with my Further Maths grade!!!!

My worse topic would probably have to be projectiles :/ Regrettably, I didn't listen in class and sometimes skipped Mechanics lessons and so I taught myself using past papers instead... Any notes on projectiles to make it easy work and quick to learn would be great :smile: Favourite topic has to be Momentum and Velocity-Time graphs since the questions usually give quite a lot of marks for something so simple xD

Not quite sure I can get into the 90's this year though, the exams are considerably harder this year. I had Statistics 1 and Further Pure 1 on Friday and they were pretty mean papers. Hopefully, not every maths paper this year will be like that. :P
Reply 2
I'm also doing this exam. Does anyone have a copy of the January 2013 paper?
Reply 3
Hey I'm also doing this one as well, I have the january 2013 paper but not an electronic copy, sorry. Can someone explain to me how you do a projectile question where they start at a higher starting position, let's say the ball is projected 4m above the ground and it hits the ground, would you make the s = ut + 1/2at^2 equation equal to -4 or 4?
Reply 4
Projectiles...
Reply 5
Original post by sohailkm96
Hey I'm also doing this one as well, I have the january 2013 paper but not an electronic copy, sorry. Can someone explain to me how you do a projectile question where they start at a higher starting position, let's say the ball is projected 4m above the ground and it hits the ground, would you make the s = ut + 1/2at^2 equation equal to -4 or 4?

I think you would set it equal to -4, because at s = -4 the ball is 4m below where it started, so it is at the same level as the ground.
Revision is going well for me, connected particles was my worst topic but my tutor basically gave me a booklet with loads of questions just on connected particles so its all good now :smile: if they mix connected particles with cos theta or sin theta i'm going to die slowly... :/
Reply 8
Original post by mike256
I think you would set it equal to -4, because at s = -4 the ball is 4m below where it started, so it is at the same level as the ground.

Ahh okay, thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by ninetteharris
the mark scheme is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/mathedup/search?query=m1+jan+2013

I hope this work :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 11
Nevermind
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I HATE Projectiles! I wish I could take the projectile question which comes up in Friday's exam and throw it off a cliff just like a projectile!
For projectiles intend to split it into the up direction and the down direction vertically which makes it much easier because the vertical velocity at the top is 0. As acceleration is 0 for horizontal you can simply use speed = distance / time to work out most things.
Svertical = Vtsin(theta) - 0.5(9.8)t^2 (+h)
Shorizontal = Vtcos(theta)
Reply 15
I'm taking this exam for the first time on friday :s-smilie:

If I work out an answer thats right, but its not the method thats on the mark scheme do I loose all the marks?

For instance in projectiles, to find the time taken to go from A to B, I work it out vertically and multiply it by 2 because its a parabola but obviously thats not ever on the mark scheme. I know that for some questions they show one method then put OR and show another. What do you think?
Reply 16
Original post by 07holderh
I'm taking this exam for the first time on friday :s-smilie:

If I work out an answer thats right, but its not the method thats on the mark scheme do I loose all the marks?

For instance in projectiles, to find the time taken to go from A to B, I work it out vertically and multiply it by 2 because its a parabola but obviously thats not ever on the mark scheme. I know that for some questions they show one method then put OR and show another. What do you think?

If you get the correct answer and show a valid method, I'm fairly certain that you will get all the marks, even if that method is not on the mark scheme.
Reply 17
Struggling badly with this, basically neglected it for my other subjects thinking it'd be easy as I took physics, began revising and can't really answer much... now I'm genuinely reallyyyy worried. Do people think it can be covered if I just grind it all night and tomorrow?
Reply 18
Original post by lochbeau
Struggling badly with this, basically neglected it for my other subjects thinking it'd be easy as I took physics, began revising and can't really answer much... now I'm genuinely reallyyyy worried. Do people think it can be covered if I just grind it all night and tomorrow?

Do all the papers. Thats how I taught myself at GCSE as I literally slept in every lesson. Ended up with pretty decent grades.. :smile:
Reply 19
Hi guys, I'm taking this exam on Friday aswell, woop woop.

I was wondering what do you guys do about rounding in a question where it doesn't specify. I tend to do it to something like 3dp, its always more then you need however I don't know if I will be penalised for it in the exam.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending