The Student Room Group

mental health nursing but squemish?

Hi everyone

Hoping to gain some advice from anyone currently studying nursing. im terribly squemish! I know some may laugh at this and it is a big set back in pursuing a career in nursing but I was wondering if anyone else has felt the same and managed to overcome it?

Im fine with pee, poop, vomit etc its mainly blood and in particular cannulars or having blood drawn (I even had to get them to tape up my iv during my labour because I couldnt bare to look at it..oh the shame!) Anyway sorry to waffle on if anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated! Am I dreaming or will I get over it?

Would also be interested in knowing what kind of clinical skills I would undertake
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Being squeamish and a nurse is not a very good combination to be honest, but should be fine as long as you work to overcome it :smile:

I have a friend who was extremely needle-phobic, but needed an operation. She saw a MH nurse for a while, and one of the techniques which helped her was to watch videos of injections on YouTube. Maybe you could try watching, I don't know, a video of someone having a blood test or something? I think it's one of those things that exposure can reduce anxiety etc.

As a MH nurse you will almost definitely come across gory things- sorry! For example, some patients may have self-harmed and need stiching up/steri strips applied. The first year is a core year, and you are usually with the other branches learning about basic care and clinical skills for a large part of it, including taking blood and giving injections.
Original post by cakey87
Hi everyone

Hoping to gain some advice from anyone currently studying nursing. I have desperately wanted a career in nursing for a while now particularly mental health, I completed an access to health course two years ago but unfortunately put my application in too late and a year later found out I was pregnant so the idea was put to the back of my mind until now. The big problem is im terribly squemish! I know some may laugh at this and it is a big set back in pursuing a career in nursing but I was wondering if anyone else has felt the same and managed to overcome it?

Im fine with pee, poop, vomit etc its mainly blood and in particular cannulars or having blood drawn (I even had to get them to tape up my iv during my labour because I couldnt bare to look at it..oh the shame!) Anyway sorry to waffle on if anyone has some advice it would be much appreciated! Am I dreaming or will I get over it?

Would also be interested in knowing what kind of clinical skills I would learn and carry out in mh?

Thanks! :smile:

As a MH nurse, you could end up seeing some gruesome sights such as people who self harm or want to commit suicide. That's just something that happens and you will have to deal with it. I don't like blood either! I start feeling faint when there is a lot - however, I realised that dealing with it is fine as long as I know I can help and I know what I'm doing. Maybe if you look at why and how and see if that helps? I know a nurse who is squeamish. She was a nurse for 40 years!
Reply 4
Your first year will be the same clinical skills, taught in uni, as the other branches e.g. you should learn how to do injections etc. Whilst a lot of MH patients will be self caring when it comes to daily routines you will still likely have to deal with injections, cannula etc. To be honest there's not usually that much blood when taking a cannula out, let alone injecting someone. You can't perform venapuncture until qualified so that shouldn't be a bother. It's something you'll overcome with exposure, or at least that's what a lot of my friends in similar situations have found.
Original post by lilibeth
Your first year will be the same clinical skills, taught in uni, as the other branches e.g. you should learn how to do injections etc. Whilst a lot of MH patients will be self caring when it comes to daily routines you will still likely have to deal with injections, cannula etc. To be honest there's not usually that much blood when taking a cannula out, let alone injecting someone. You can't perform venapuncture until qualified so that shouldn't be a bother. It's something you'll overcome with exposure, or at least that's what a lot of my friends in similar situations have found.

Depending on where you do your training you might do your venepuncture training. I done mine in my second year and as a mh nurse it can be done a fair bit to check clozapine levels and if you work in coe it gets regularly done on admission. lilibeth says you will get over it with exposure or you will learn techniques that will help you when dealing with it. I had a complete phobia of needles and still do when it comes to getting an injection myself however giving one now does not phase me at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending