The Student Room Group

Changes to exams (No January exams). Could there be further reforms?

With all the reforms in the previous months, would it be likely for there to be a U-turn done by the current government and halt the current reforms (reinstate January exams as of next year)?

Secondly, what's your stance on the whole Summer only exams?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not too bothered about the summer only exams, as my school already does that. However, it does mean more workload at the end of year which totally depends on the person. If they can handle going everything at the end then that'll be fine with them. But it now means no chance for re-sits if someone messes up on exams which could have otherwise been taken in January/Earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Hyde
Not too bothered about the summer only exams, as my school already does that. However, it does mean more workload at the end of year which totally depends on the person. If they can handle going everything at the end then that'll be fine with them. But it now means no chance for re-sits if someone messes up on exams which could have otherwise been taken in January/Earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think I agree with that it's a good thing in some sense, but also it could be seen to discriminate against some candidates who study subjects that involve 3 exams for AS, and 3 for A2, albeit their own choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I don't think it's fair.... what if the person has a tough day? or the person feeling sick? how is the student suppose to take a re-sit in NEXT year june??? when they have like their ENTIRE A2 unit/module exams???? tbf if they scrapped January exam.... they might as well scrapped the june's b/c they'll be pointless!
Original post by Mathsz0r
With all the reforms in the previous months, would it be likely for there to be a U-turn done by the current government and halt the current reforms (reinstate January exams as of next year)?

Secondly, what's your stance on the whole Summer only exams?

Original post by Hyde

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Mathsz0r
Yeah, I think I agree with that it's a good thing in some sense, but also it could be seen to discriminate against some candidates who study subjects that involve 3 exams for AS, and 3 for A2, albeit their own choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by dream996
I don't think it's fair.... what if the person has a tough day? or the person feeling sick? how is the student suppose to take a re-sit in NEXT year june??? when they have like their ENTIRE A2 unit/module exams???? tbf if they scrapped January exam.... they might as well scrapped the june's b/c they'll be pointless!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41702
Reply 5

Plenty of schools already don't do Jan exams and only allow June exams. Wut if dey all hav tuff day?
Reply 6
Original post by bertstare
Plenty of schools already don't do Jan exams and only allow June exams. Wut if dey all hav tuff day?

I have been to 8 different schools across the country, and they ALL do january exam! What I'm trying to say is that, we should get ppl involve and change this absurd idea!
I have been to 8 different schools across the country, and they ALL do january exam! What I'm trying to say is that, we should get ppl involve and change this absurd idea!

My school didn't do January resits for AS level. At A2 level some departments persuaded to let them do January exams - and the majority of people (myself included who did two modules) retook these too due to poor performance. So, in reality this change wouldn't have affected me.

Yes, it puts more pressure on you, but equally we are still lucky to have AS and A2 exams - some countries only do exams at the end of two years.

I doubt there will be a U-turn. Everyone is under the same pressure and in the same boat so you can't say it's unfair.

People should fail too many AS modules so I don't think doing an extra exam will matter much more in the summer of A2 year (AS exams are generally earlier if I remember correctly).
Reply 8

Did you make this poll? have you considered calling up a news team and telling them about it to increase it's publicity?
I didn't make it no, however that's a great suggestion
I think as a whole it's a good idea. It makes the system more fair in the long run and it forces people not to slack off. However, I think there should be some allowances. I'm taking Further Maths, I accept that I'm taking it out of my own choice and not necessity, but I get given double the amount of lessons to do 2 A-Levels so I think it would be fair, for those in situations like mine, to take half our modules in January.
I also worry for those people who haven't quite comprehended the difference between A level and GCSE. I know so many people who messed up their January exams and I think taking and/or failing January exams is an important part of developing study techniques, but outside of school life it also teaches us about the importance of working hard and meeting deadlines. I think some people need to face the reality of how far little to no effort gets you, without having to suffer the consequence of losing the chance to gain a qualification.
Original post by bertstare

yes but if you have a tough day in june of AS you would have been able to retake in January of A2 ffs
Summer only = good

Introducing this during part way through a qualification (ie for current Y12) = bad

Removal of AS exams in Y12 = bad
Reply 13
Original post by RitsukaAoyagi
I think as a whole it's a good idea. It makes the system more fair in the long run and it forces people not to slack off. However, I think there should be some allowances. I'm taking Further Maths, I accept that I'm taking it out of my own choice and not necessity, but I get given double the amount of lessons to do 2 A-Levels so I think it would be fair, for those in situations like mine, to take half our modules in January.
I also worry for those people who haven't quite comprehended the difference between A level and GCSE. I know so many people who messed up their January exams and I think taking and/or failing January exams is an important part of developing study techniques, but outside of school life it also teaches us about the importance of working hard and meeting deadlines. I think some people need to face the reality of how far little to no effort gets you, without having to suffer the consequence of losing the chance to gain a qualification.

Fully agree with you here, I'm in the exact situation next year except I'll be doing A2 further maths (C3 C4 FP1 FP2 S2 M2 DE and STEP2/3) Is it really fair to make people do 13 exams in one series, and expect them to attain what they are capeable of?
Reply 14
Original post by SilverstarDJ
My school didn't do January resits for AS level. At A2 level some departments persuaded to let them do January exams - and the majority of people (myself included who did two modules) retook these too due to poor performance. So, in reality this change wouldn't have affected me.

Yes, it puts more pressure on you, but equally we are still lucky to have AS and A2 exams - some countries only do exams at the end of two years.

I doubt there will be a U-turn. Everyone is under the same pressure and in the same boat so you can't say it's unfair.

People should fail too many AS modules so I don't think doing an extra exam will matter much more in the summer of A2 year (AS exams are generally earlier if I remember correctly).

Oh really?? What about pervious year huh? They have january re-sits/exams? Hows that fair? would you like to explain that point again??

And I'm saying this is an UNNECESSARY amount of pressure! Just b/c you are so selfish and can't see from ppl perspective! Just to let you know, some ppl genuinely are NOT good at dealing with exams, even though they are MORE than capable of achieve A*s etc, It's ppl like YOU who ruin ppl's life.... doesn't CARE what other ppl's condition or feelings are.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
If someone happens to be ill during the AS exam (with almost 11 exams) and then go-on do the resits at A2 when they already have like 13 exams from the A2's unit/modules.... this is ridiculous ! and TRUST me being ill can do SERIOUS damage to the performance!
Reply 16
Original post by TenOfThem
Summer only = good

Introducing this during part way through a qualification (ie for current Y12) = bad

Removal of AS exams in Y12 = bad

Perfect answer, and in relation to another post they should Give a bit of space between the main exams and the STEP/AEA ones. :colondollar:
Reply 17
Original post by RVNmax
Perfect answer, and in relation to another post they should Give a bit of space between the main exams and the STEP/AEA ones. :colondollar:

Yeah, I'm all for that. I just think the amount of space between the exams would be exactly the same disruption as January exams, therefore why not?
Reply 18
I think the best option would have been to have a resit policy where the "newest grade stands", or something along the lines. I know people who have resat certain modules three times to push a B to an A, and do very little revision and just "hope for the best". It should be made so that people don't keep resitting grades A grades at say 80% to get the UMS needed for 90%, otherwise we will see grade inflation again. I have benefitted from doing a resit in January, pushing a C to an A but I revised hard for it, and it wasn't something that I did in hope to gain a couple of UMS.

That would have been a better reform than removing January exams completely.
Reply 19
Original post by H0ls
I think the best option would have been to have a resit policy where the "newest grade stands", or something along the lines. I know people who have resat certain modules three times to push a B to an A, and do very little revision and just "hope for the best". It should be made so that people don't keep resitting grades A grades at say 80% to get the UMS needed for 90%, otherwise we will see grade inflation again. I have benefitted from doing a resit in January, pushing a C to an A but I revised hard for it, and it wasn't something that I did in hope to gain a couple of UMS.

That would have been a better reform than removing January exams completely.

But wouldn't that put off resitting, therefore putting off will for improvement? Oh wait, I think that's what your getting at, but why is it grade inflation a bad thing, if they get a better mark it means they have improved!
Why should someone have to forfeit a previous grade when the whole point of the exams in question are that you have once reached this level rather than your grades being a state of current level.

One relating reason(along with others) to why removing January exams was good is that it means if you want to do well, you have to work hard, as the retake is with your other exams, and if you decide not to then it's your loss, no? Surely if you do get a better grade without revision, it probably means you were either unlucky the first time or lucky this time or you are actually clever/understand the material. To remove the luckiness aspect exams should always be hard!:colone: Although, this isn't a big issue in my opinion as January resits are still hard because you're learning new material, but I raised it more due to the fact that this new system already does what you suggested.

Another point to why I don't agree with your suggestion is that it creates a dilemma between teachers', parents' and the candidates' as if a teacher expects a student to do better and enters them into a retake, they candidate could be made to lose a grade for 'listening' to the teacher. (I would put similar argument to the not accepting retakes policy of some institutions)

TLDR: In other words it just adds an unnecessary variable relating to the final grade of a candidate :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending