The Student Room Group

Rounding off to 3 significant figures.

Hi this might sound like a silly question but How do you round something like 4326799.876 to 3 sig fig?

(I had an s1 paper the day before, and this was part of the first question (not the value, just the 3 sig fig part) . I couldn't really answer it, I wrote it in standard form with 3 digits... )

Anyways, I have a physics paper tomorrow, and I don't want to make the same mistake again... HELP ME?
Original post by madaboutmambo
Hi this might sound like a silly question but How do you round something like 4326799.876 to 3 sig fig?
(I had an s1 paper the day before, and this was part of the first question (not the value, just the 3 sig fig part) . I couldn't really answer it, I wrote it in standard form with 3 digits... )
Anyways, I have a physics paper tomorrow, and I don't want to make the same mistake again... HELP ME?

You round the 3rd digit up if the 4th digit is 5 or more, then you set the 4th and subsequent digits to zero. In this case the answer is 4,330,000.0
Reply 2
Original post by madaboutmambo

4 330 000

If you wrote

4.33 x106 then there is no reason for that to be marked wrong

What board
Reply 3
Original post by Pastaferian
You round the 3rd digit up if the 4th digit is 5 or more, then you set the 4th and subsequent digits to zero. In this case the answer is 4,330,000.0

Nothing after the decimal point
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
4 330 000

If you wrote

4.33 x106 then there is no reason for that to be marked wrong

What board

Edexcel. Yeah thanks a lot, I just realised they are the same thing! :smile: I was just confused about the zeroes that came after (apparently they have no significance? )

Quick Reply

Latest