The Student Room Group

MSc vs MSci

Excuse my ignorance, I don't think MScis existed when I were a lass, but can anybody tell me a bit more about this?

I have gathered that the MSci designation is now used for (usually) 4-year undergraduate courses that include an extended research project. Is that right?

That then contrasts with the MSc, which is a one year post-grad qualification. Yes?

Now, I also gather that, from a student loans perspective, it can be a good idea to apply for four years at the outset, if you are considering the possibility, because it saves reapplying for an additional year later. True?

So, does anyone know how the two approaches (undergrad vs post-grad masters) are viewed by future employers/research institutes? They are both an additional year, with a research focus, but is there something less rigorous, or perceived as such, about the undergrad version?

Is that 4 questions or 5? Sorry. Grateful for any insights.
Original post by Collosopede
Excuse my ignorance, I don't think MScis existed when I were a lass, but can anybody tell me a bit more about this?

I have gathered that the MSci designation is now used for (usually) 4-year undergraduate courses that include an extended research project. Is that right?

That then contrasts with the MSc, which is a one year post-grad qualification. Yes?

Now, I also gather that, from a student loans perspective, it can be a good idea to apply for four years at the outset, if you are considering the possibility, because it saves reapplying for an additional year later. True?

So, does anyone know how the two approaches (undergrad vs post-grad masters) are viewed by future employers/research institutes? They are both an additional year, with a research focus, but is there something less rigorous, or perceived as such, about the undergrad version?

Is that 4 questions or 5? Sorry. Grateful for any insights.

Q1 Yes

Q2 Yes

Q3 It isn't easier or harder to choose at the beginning for SLC purposes, more normal is to work out when the university will let you commit/change your decision. I think in comes cases you apply for one or the other and have limited but some scope to change, or you officially start on 3 years and then move to the 4 year course later.

Q4 Some will say an undergrad masters isn't as rigorous as a post-grad Masters. That is probably true in some cases, but not in all. One issue is that a undergrad masters cohort is usually the same as the 3rd year cohort, less a few. Whereas for a Postgrad Masters you can change university and the cohort usually includes a wider variety of people (eg students with professional experience) which enriches the learning environment. The key difference now, and even more so in the future is that if you do an undergrad masters in a straight 4 years, you can get SLC funding for the 4th year - you can't for a Postgrad Masters.
Reply 2
Thank you. That's really clear. Much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know if the MSci is valid for PhD applications or so you need to do an MSc in the given science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A postgraduate Masters is at a higher level than the final year of a 4 year undergrad course, demanding far more independent study and is seen as 'building upon' previous undergrad study. Therefore an undergrad degree with a postgrad Masters is usually viewed more highly than a 4 year undergrad degree, depending on subject area.

In many science/tech subjects, the 4 year undergrad is becoming more common and usually identifies students who have the capacity to go on to undertake postgrad study. Even with a 4 year undergrad degree, students still usually need to also undertake a taught postgrad Masters course before undertaking a 3 year PhD (independent research degree), although in science/tech this is often combined as a seamless 4 year Masters/PhD program.

Funding - there is NO automatic funding for postgrad study. It has nothing to do with Student Finance who only fund undergrad study. To do any postgrad work (taught or research) a student needs to a) get a 2.1 or a First, b) apply for the small amount of highly competitive funding available. For examples of this, go to www.jobs.ac.uk and scroll down to 'Studentships' on the initial page. A simple search within this for the relevant subject will give you an idea of how this works, and that it is complicated, involving a whole variety of different funding schemes. Btw, these schemes change year by year and are influenced by government/industrial priorities. Students who have worked in a relevant environment between undergrad and postgrad study have an obvious edge on those who havnt in terms of getting such funding - they are more mature and aware, have a deeper understanding of 'applicability' and bring more to their research.

Its also worth checking the website of the professional body of whatever subject/profession your child intends to study/enter. This will explain their accreditation, and membership factors - often important when decided one course over another. Also, its worth your child looking at job websites relevant to their intended career - what is actually being asked for in terms of qualification/experience? Do you actually need a Masters to enter at graduate level and therefore is the possibility of doing a Masters something to think about much further down the track.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
A postgraduate Masters is at a higher level than the final year of a 4 year undergrad course, demanding far more independent study and is seen as 'building upon' previous undergrad study. Therefore an undergrad degree with a postgrad Masters is usually viewed more highly than a 4 year undergrad degree, depending on subject area.

In many science/tech subjects, the 4 year undergrad is becoming more common and usually identifies students who have the capacity to go on to undertake postgrad study. Even with a 4 year undergrad degree, students still usually need to also undertake a taught postgrad Masters course before undertaking a 3 year PhD (independent research degree), although in science/tech this is often combined as a seamless 4 year Masters/PhD program.

Funding - there is NO automatic funding for postgrad study. It has nothing to do with Student Finance who only fund undergrad study. To do any postgrad work (taught or research) a student needs to a) get a 2.1 or a First, b) apply for the small amount of highly competitive funding available. For examples of this, go to www.jobs.ac.uk and scroll down to 'Studentships' on the initial page. A simple search within this for the relevant subject will give you an idea of how this works, and that it is complicated, involving a whole variety of different funding schemes. Btw, these schemes change year by year and are influenced by government/industrial priorities. Students who have worked in a relevant environment between undergrad and postgrad study have an obvious edge on those who havnt in terms of getting such funding - they are more mature and aware, have a deeper understanding of 'applicability' and bring more to their research.

Its also worth checking the website of the professional body of whatever subject/profession your child intends to study/enter. This will explain their accreditation, and membership factors - often important when decided one course over another. Also, its worth your child looking at job websites relevant to their intended career - what is actually being asked for in terms of qualification/experience? Do you actually need a Masters to enter at graduate level and therefore is the possibility of doing a Masters something to think about much further down the track.

Really useful thoughts. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending