Help! Cold Turkey not working!Watch
So that time of year again when I want to block distracting sites due to exams. I used Cold Turkey on my old laptop and loved it... However, I've installed it on my new one and it isn't working. It says that it has blocked the sites, however, all of them are still accessible. I'm on Windows8. Has anyone had a similar experience or know how to amend this?
Alternatively could anyone suggest a similar productivity application which is good?
To fix this you basically have two options, add an exception in Windows Defender, or install a new antivirus and disable Windows Defender completely. To exclude the hosts file, which is probably the best option follow the link below and follow the instructions for "Excluding the Hosts File". You don't need to follow any of the other instructions on that page as Cold Turkey does that for you
Hi - I have the same problem but I don't quite understand your reply. Would I add facebook.com to the hosts file? In which case would it block me from using Facebook completely, rather than only blocking it at the times I've asked Cold Turkey to block it (which is what I want)?
It does NOT work if i program gct for a long period.
It DOES work if i program it for max 24 à 36 hours.
On my old laptop, i programmed it for 1 or 2 months. On this new win8 laptop i tried several things (incl adding an exception in Defender) but i could not make coldturkey working proberly. It took me some time to figure out about the 36 hours, but since weeks i'm doing that now, and it works fine (99 % of the time - sometimes it keeps blocking sites even AFTER the date/hour i programmed :-) )
If getcoldturkey is not 'listening', restart the laptop. And program gct for max 24-36 hours
Go to control panel > System and security > Windows firewall > Click 'Allow an app through windows firewall' > Change settings > You are now able to click 'Allow another app' > Locate Cold turkey on list and click 'Add'.
The app should now be functional. Ill update if I find any other issues but this has worked for me.
I set up some website blocks for two weeks with no breaks and then tested, and they were not being blocked. Applications were being blocked just fine.
For me, Cold Turkey was already allowed through the firewall by default when I checked, and Bitdefender Free Antivirus was not breaking it either.
I got the blocks to start working by quickly disabling and re-enabling the extension in Firefox before Cold Turkey could close Firefox because of disabling the extension. I think the problem was that I had the extension already installed before I created the block, and it needed to be somehow refreshed by quickly disabling and then re-enabling after creating the block in order to apply it. Hope this can help someone.