Help! Cold Turkey not working!

Watch
liyjag
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

So that time of year again when I want to block distracting sites due to exams. I used Cold Turkey on my old laptop and loved it... However, I've installed it on my new one and it isn't working. It says that it has blocked the sites, however, all of them are still accessible. I'm on Windows8. Has anyone had a similar experience or know how to amend this?

Alternatively could anyone suggest a similar productivity application which is good?
Scott1541
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is caused by Windows Defender, the built in antivirus protecting the hosts file by automatically removing entries by programs like Cold Turkey.

To fix this you basically have two options, add an exception in Windows Defender, or install a new antivirus and disable Windows Defender completely. To exclude the hosts file, which is probably the best option follow the link below and follow the instructions for "Excluding the Hosts File". You don't need to follow any of the other instructions on that page as Cold Turkey does that for you

http://www.howtogeek.com/122404/how-...8s-hosts-file/
TomHackett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi - I have the same problem but I don't quite understand your reply. Would I add facebook.com to the hosts file? In which case would it block me from using Facebook completely, rather than only blocking it at the times I've asked Cold Turkey to block it (which is what I want)?
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TomHackett)
Hi - I have the same problem but I don't quite understand your reply. Would I add facebook.com to the hosts file? In which case would it block me from using Facebook completely, rather than only blocking it at the times I've asked Cold Turkey to block it (which is what I want)?
Yes.
elianedb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my experience with getcoldturkey and Win8:
It does NOT work if i program gct for a long period.
It DOES work if i program it for max 24 à 36 hours.
On my old laptop, i programmed it for 1 or 2 months. On this new win8 laptop i tried several things (incl adding an exception in Defender) but i could not make coldturkey working proberly. It took me some time to figure out about the 36 hours, but since weeks i'm doing that now, and it works fine (99 % of the time - sometimes it keeps blocking sites even AFTER the date/hour i programmed :-) )
If getcoldturkey is not 'listening', restart the laptop. And program gct for max 24-36 hours
ffiirree
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What about Norton Internet Security/Antivirus? I just got it and my ColdTurkey no longer works when I set it up.
flybeliz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found a solution to this when I was having issues. I am on Windows 8 and using Google chrome.

Go to control panel > System and security > Windows firewall > Click 'Allow an app through windows firewall' > Change settings > You are now able to click 'Allow another app' > Locate Cold turkey on list and click 'Add'.

The app should now be functional. Ill update if I find any other issues but this has worked for me.
donosulo
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This is one of the only threads that showed up when I searched for this problem, so I'll add what worked for me and hopefully that can help out a few other people in the future as well. I used Firefox and Windows 10.

I set up some website blocks for two weeks with no breaks and then tested, and they were not being blocked. Applications were being blocked just fine.

For me, Cold Turkey was already allowed through the firewall by default when I checked, and Bitdefender Free Antivirus was not breaking it either.

I got the blocks to start working by quickly disabling and re-enabling the extension in Firefox before Cold Turkey could close Firefox because of disabling the extension. I think the problem was that I had the extension already installed before I created the block, and it needed to be somehow refreshed by quickly disabling and then re-enabling after creating the block in order to apply it. Hope this can help someone.
Last edited by donosulo; 8 months ago
Kobbe_Lobo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
my is windows10 and same problems as you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (309)
55.78%
I don't have everything I need (245)
44.22%

Watched Threads