The Student Room Group

A-Level or BTEC Business?

Right so I've definitely decided on doing A-levels in Maths, Geography & Psychology.

However, I can't decide whether to do A-level or BTEC Business (worth 1 A-level) :/

I kind of want to do the BTEC more because it will mean I'd only have to revise for 3 subjects (obviously I know that BTEC's require a lot of hard work too), but I'm worried that if I decide to go to University it won't look as good...

Anyone done either? What's more interesting?

When I'm older I'd quite like to join the Police and eventually become one of them detectives, however I'm not 100% sure which is why I want to do A-Levels as I'm also quite interested in business stuff.

Thank you :biggrin:
Depending on your analytical skills, Business Studies does not take that much revision to be done perfectly and is, in my opionion, one of the easiest subjects to grasp at A level. Also, I guess it depends on what you wish to do after sixth form/college. Universities would probably be more suited for A levels, Vocational courses for employment, etc.
Reply 2
As long as you do well, one BTEC qualification wouldn't hinder you with most uni's, despite what many of the people on the student room think!
Reply 3
Thanks guys, think I might go for the BTEC :smile: Anyone studied/studying it?
Reply 4
The thing is, do you want to go to a good Uni? Top 50? Top 100? Top 120? etc.

Unis like London Metropolitan would not care, but others like Warwick, Oxford etc. may care a little bit.

I study the normal one and I find it is decent if you like Business. If you're not much of a fan, you may not like it as much, but as said above, it is quite easy to get a grasp of.

Also, you're studying Maths & Psychology, two subjects that require A LOT of revision for. If you have BTEC deadlines, you may find yourself finishing the coursework and leaving revision 'til last, which is something that I have done with my coursework. This may hinder your results for these two revision heavy subjects, so as Business may be quite easy for you to get a grasp of, I would suggest doing the normal AS Business Studies.
Reply 5
Original post by AbirM
The thing is, do you want to go to a good Uni? Top 50? Top 100? Top 120? etc.

Unis like London Metropolitan would not care, but others like Warwick, Oxford etc. may care a little bit.

I study the normal one and I find it is decent if you like Business. If you're not much of a fan, you may not like it as much, but as said above, it is quite easy to get a grasp of.

Also, you're studying Maths & Psychology, two subjects that require A LOT of revision for. If you have BTEC deadlines, you may find yourself finishing the coursework and leaving revision 'til last, which is something that I have done with my coursework. This may hinder your results for these two revision heavy subjects, so as Business may be quite easy for you to get a grasp of, I would suggest doing the normal AS Business Studies.

If I decide to go to Uni, I'd want to go to a good one, but I'm not really bothered about Cambridge or Oxford...

Ahh I get what you mean :/ I'm really stuck on what to do to be honest, because I thought that I could just have 3 subjects to revise for instead of 4. I'm so bad at making decisions D:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending