Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Machester is a very good univeristy, its in the top 20 institutions and its probably the highest univeristy in the table which doesn't have the snobbery attached. I'm not from a privilidged background so ive really enjoyed my time here.

The social life is brilliant, sporting good, and its a developing city. Its not expensive and im definitly considering making a life of things up here, especially considering the emerging economic centre.

I do BA ECON too. Let me assure you... its a very good course. You can diverisify across a huge range of modules and if you work hard to get your 1st or 2:1 you will have no trouble getting that six figure job you probably aspire.

Gav

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_help)
    Some people seem to think it makes the 'top tier' and others don't. After all my hard work in school to get my grades i feel somewhat disappointed not to have the option of going to a better university. I'm considering a gap year and reapplying in 2005. Will Manchester give me the same job prospects as Warwick, Bristol, Bath etc...or am i letting myself down by accepting the offer?

I know this sounds a bit snobby - but think about it for a second - would everyone else with good grades feel happy taking a place at Manchester or would you all feel you should be going somewhere better after the years of hard work?
    I wouldn't, but that's because I like london and want to go there. I think if you *like* manchester as a place and feel you would be happy there then go.

And with the snobby thing...my attitude was exactly the same as yours, (actually mine was worse, but my problem was i felt indifferent to the universities that made me offers and didn't particularly like them when I visited. So don't feel bad about it).

In 2005, Economics applicants will probably shoot through the roof again. If you take a gap year, do maths up to A2, and make sure you get all As, then you should stand a good chance. And make sure the gap year is beneficial and you mention the benefits on your PS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm debating whether to accept my offer for Manchester to study BA Economics.

I have 5xA*, 1xA and 3XB at GCSE, AAAA at AS and was predicted 3 A's at A'level. My applications didn't go brilliantly - 3 rejections (Oxford, Bath and York) - Manchester is the only one I’m considering from my 3 offers.
    Where are your other offers from btw?

ReputationRep:
    I some times I feel a tiny bit snobby about being at Salford, I some times wish I went some where better as I have more UCAS points than a lot of people on my course. However this is the wrong attitude to have. I am working quite hard and learning a lot and I know the skills I am learning will help me to get a job so I am not really worried about it. Plus there are 250 worse places I could have gone to other than Salford.

ReputationRep:
    In the telegraph "table of tables" manchester is in the top ten - so what exactly IS good enough?
    If you didn't get in to Bath York etc what makes yuo think you will next year?
    I don't mean this offensivly but they're probably swamped with people with no Bs at GCSE and a string of A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    In the telegraph "table of tables" manchester is in the top ten - so what exactly IS good enough?
    If you didn't get in to Bath York etc what makes yuo think you will next year?
    I don't mean this offensivly but they're probably swamped with people with no Bs at GCSE and a string of A*s.
    Yeah they probably are, but if he gets all As at A-Level then that outweighs his Bs at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Yeah they probably are, but if he gets all As at A-Level then that outweighs his Bs at GCSE.
    he got all As at As so that would suggest to them he's going to get all As at A Level. There will be lots of people with these grades too - I think it's a risk having a gap year because I can't see what great difference it will make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    he got all As at As so that would suggest to them he's going to get all As at A Level. There will be lots of people with these grades too - I think it's a risk having a gap year because I can't see what great difference it will make.
    you do have a point there, but A2s are harder and i know many people who fell down despite having all As at AS (those synoptic papers are evil).

He could do a me and consider switching subject altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I got four A grades in my A-Levels and ended up going to Manchester. It's a good Uni as far as I'm concerned. Might be slightly different for me though, as Manchester was the only university I was interested in going to for personal reasons. I live in the local area and wanted to remain local. I haven't been disappointed by the standards here though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    Oh dear... Another one with a superiority complex. In my opinion you should gap year and reapply, one of the other posh universities will suit you down to the ground.
    remember there are lots of employers out there who will have the same kind of complex. lots of people on this board have complexes and it makes sense that there will be similar ones when you go to apply for a job. now whether you want to work for one of those companies is a different matter but if they are offering good pay, good conditions and the kind of thing you always imagined yourself doing you might find yourself wishing that you had gone to one the so called posh universities. whether the teaching at manchester is good or not is irrelevant when people with 2:2s from oxford are getting jobs that you and your first class degree form manchester are being turned down from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    remember there are lots of employers out there who will have the same kind of complex. lots of people on this board have complexes and it makes sense that there will be similar ones when you go to apply for a job. now whether you want to work for one of those companies is a different matter but if they are offering good pay, good conditions and the kind of thing you always imagined yourself doing you might find yourself wishing that you had gone to one the so called posh universities. whether the teaching at manchester is good or not is irrelevant when people with 2:2s from oxford are getting jobs that you and your first class degree form manchester are being turned down from
    Would you like to source where you got these facts from? Maybe the Telegraph that puts UMIST at number 2, and Manchester at number 4 for employability? But that must be wrong because employers dismiss a Manchester degree.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    Would you like to source where you got these facts from? Maybe the Telegraph that puts UMIST at number 2, and Manchester at number 4 for employability? But that must be wrong because employers dismiss a Manchester degree.
    Clearly the hundreds of top British employers were lying in thier responses deliberately to mislead thier potential future employees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    im not saying that every single employer doesnt like a manchester degree it is only a minority. i know it is possible to get a good job with a degree from manchester (i went up for an open day for manchester and they said that they had the best employment rate of any uni or summat similar.

however there jobs in certain sectors where the old boy network of having gone to oxbridge and will dismiss a manchester degree, look around you on this forum: there are plenty of people who do not want to go to manchester because its not oxbridge and this will be mirrored in real life for instance, a lot of public schools wouldnt even think about emplying a headmaster who hasnt been to oxford or cambridge and at my school a lot of the teachers have been to oxbridge and the majority of the heads of departments (with the exception of subjects such as Technology and Art n those kind of subjects) are oxbridge educated. i woud think it would be very difficult or even impossible for people, at the moment to get a job at my school without one of these degrees. while i disagree with that kind of policy, its a statement of fact. while attitutudes are changing (the civil service has gone from being almost completely oxbridge educated to employing lots of people from "less prestigious" universities such as Hull and Essex which have good reputations in social sciences) you might still find yourself affected
    i dont deny that there are many good jobs that are available to people who have been to manchester and no matter what your qualifactions are you can be happy and succesful, look at bill gates he doesnt even have a degree. however for certain career paths having made good links at universitys such as oxbridge is almost a prerequsite.
    i apologise if i made it seem as though going to manchester was the end of the world and you should sign up for the dole immmediately. im going to apply for manchester next year as i really liked it and if i hadnt decided 2 change the course i want to do n take a gap year i might well have gone there or essex
    incidentally can anyone give me a link to a table with job statistics for universities? i remember seeing one somewhere but i cant find it

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to careers advisors and people who work in human resources.
    They do not care about the university provided its a good one, (any of the top 20) and you geta good degree. The 1st or 2-1 is what makes the most difference, regardless of university. Also manchester is 3rd favourite, behind oxford and cam for employers according to official surveys.

ReputationRep:
    I'm debating whether to accept my offer for Manchester to study BA Economics.

I have 5xA*, 1xA and 3XB at GCSE, AAAA at AS and was predicted 3 A's at A'level. My applications didn't go brilliantly - 3 rejections (Oxford, Bath and York) - Manchester is the only one I?m considering from my 3 offers.

Some people seem to think it makes the 'top tier' and others don't. After all my hard work in school to get my grades i feel somewhat disappointed not to have the option of going to a better university. I'm considering a gap year and reapplying in 2005. Will Manchester give me the same job prospects as Warwick, Bristol, Bath etc...or am i letting myself down by accepting the offer?

I know this sounds a bit snobby - but think about it for a second - would everyone else with good grades feel happy taking a place at Manchester or would you all feel you should be going somewhere better after the years of hard work?
    Interestingly the course requirements for BA Econ in the new post merger uni are AAB-BBB.

ReputationRep:
    i have just been accepted into manchester business school as a postgrad and i feel extremly priviliged to have been accepted by them.

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 As at A level with an A at AS, I go to Manchester and I find it very academically challenging, so by law of deduction it should be the same for a high flyer like you. With regards to job prospects, I was having similar thoughts to you before I came here, about going to Bath, Bristol, Durham etc. instead, but then I didn't stop reading about 'how popular red bricks are with employers' (mainly in national newspapers, not just propaganda from Manchester, Birmingham and the likes). Now I'm here I'm pleased about my decision, Bath is dull as **** anyway :p: (no offence, Tom).

ReputationRep:
    I achieved 8A*, 1A, 2Bs at GCSE. I came something like no.9 in the country for Philosophy and did my maths when i was 14 (I got a B but hey I'm not a numbers person and I was so proud!). I got AAAb for AS and on track for AAA at A2. I applied for Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Lancaster and Edinburgh. I didn't apply for York, Bristol, Durham etc mainly because i wanted to go to a great university which wasn't so stuck-up. Manchester seemed so welcoming, academically challenging without being belittling; I chose Manchester. I don't regret my decision. My advice is go for whatever you want, its your life, but there are lots of people at Manchester who could have gone elsewhere but chose not to, that has to testify to the university!

ReputationRep:
    This is like a year old.

And bath is awful for nightlife compared to manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same superiority complex!!! But it's with Bristol and Manchester...... I didn't get into the University I wanted, and I'm not bothering to reapply next year. Lucky for me, I'm happy with offers and have narrowed it down to Birstol or Mancheter.

Please check out the link in the signature and help me QUICK! Thanks!

Sorry for kind of using this thread

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 10, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.