The Student Room Group

Dentistry in Spain!

I am currently in year 12 and would LOVE to study in Spain.
All that I know is that years 1-3 are taught in English; and years 4-5 in español!
I take spanish A-Level, so I already have a grounding of the language.

Does anybody have any information about studying dentistry abroad?

- Past experiences?
- Fees
- Legitimate Universities
- Will I be able to work in the UK with the degree
- Anything else...

Thanks guys :redface: :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hello.

I've heard that there's an Open Day at the Universidad Europea in Madrid. It's the 8th of June. Is there anyone going? It would be good to go together.
Thank you!
Reply 2
All i can say is that it's hard enough as a degree as it is now without having to contend with a language barrier. Especially given that patients will sometimes be in pain and need complex medical concepts explained to them etc, the barrier can get quite troublesome then. If you feel your spanish is up to it then go for it by all means but dentistry is a full time course understanding the content, if i had to do it in a language i wasn't fluent in...i don't think i could cope.

Why spain though? It's more expensive than the UK, and the UK schools are all fantastic. I don't think you can register with GDC with some european degree. Whether that is the case in spain i don't know, but at barts we have a brand new curriculum to fullfill the new GDC requirements, and i don't know if the same is happening in spain, you wouldn't want to get left behind. There is always the possibility too that in the 5 years you're training, that the GDC may change their mind and not recognise the degree from where you're studying. There is also the matter of student finance, i'm not sure you can get the full maintenence loan/tuition fee loan in Europe.

I'm not trying to put you off, but think very carefully first about why you're not going for a british school.
Reply 3
Spanish degrees aren't recognised in the UK. I contacted the GDC about this a few months back to confirm some other person's claims in a different thread.
Reply 4
I just want to confirm that Spanish degrees are going to be recognized this summer. In Spain, the system has changed from "Licenciatura" to "Grado". The GDC recognizes the "Licenciatura" because the change hasn't been done yet. But don't worry at all, the "Grado" will be recognized in August. More information, contact: u e m i n t e r n a t i o n a l @ u e m . e s

Quick Reply

Latest