The Student Room Group

The Crucible Thread

Hi, could someone grade this essay on The Crucible? It's a made up question on Elizabeth Proctor. If anyone has any other points that could be made, that would be useful too.

'How is Elizabeth presented by Miller, and how do you respond?'

In The Crucible, Elizabeth Proctor serves as John's motivation to go to Salem to bring justice out after she is arrested.
Miller initially presents Elizabeth as an aloof character in Act 1, when Abigail says that she is a 'bitter... snivelling woman'. Due to Parris' begrudging and hostile feeling toward Abigail, we feel some sympathy toward her, and begin to judge Elizabeth based on Abigail's portrayal of her.
The use of the word 'cold' implies a lack of feeling, as if Elizabeth is unable to sympathize with anyone.
However, as it is only Abigail who says this, it is possible that we instead start to judge Abigail for insulting a character that we have not been introduced to yet.
This is further supported when Proctor defends Elizabeth from Abigail's insults; The fact that he says 'You'll... Elizabeth' suggests that he believes Elizabeth to be a better person than Abigail, because he implies through the use of the word 'nothing' that Abigail is unworthy to point out Elizabeth's faults.
This suggests that Proctor reveres Elizabeth. We later learn in the act that Proctor does not seek to conform, just to do what he believes is right, as shown when he defends his decision not to go to Church due to Parris preaching only about 'hellfire' and 'damnation'; We realize that Proctor is a strong person, so the fact that he speaks of Elizabeth so highly suggests that she is a good person.
However, as we already know of Proctor's affair, it is possible that he is seeking redemption, which he can do get through Elizabeth's forgiveness. This means he speaks so highly of Elizabeth so that he may be worthy in her eyes, which is inferred by the audience when he tells Mary Warren 'That goodness will not die for me'. The fact that Elizabeth is referred to as 'goodness' implies that Elizabeth is a blessing to those around her, and that she is worth more than John, because she must not die for him. By using the word 'me' Miller amalgamates all of John into a single word - 'me' refers to his affair, which is the root cause of Abigail charging murder on Elizabeth- Miller presents John as something that is rotten to the core; Elizabeth makes John a better person.
Elizabeth is presented as perceptive, yet slightly too judgmental. She alone realizes that in any bed, 'Spoke or silent, a promise is surely made'. The word promise suggests a personal vow, made in bed, is an intimate promise that is made even if it is not said. This gives the quote the meaning that John has promised something to Abigail - his heart- by not saying anything. This implies that Elizabeth thinks that John has made this promise willingly, as suggested when she says that 'She has an arrow in you yet, John Proctor'. An arrow is usually associated with weaponry, but also with Cupid, the cherub/God Of Love. By using 'arrow', Miller implies that Elizabeth is highly perceptive, as she thinks that Abigail has a weapon against John.
However, the connotations of love and desire that are also implied suggests that Elizabeth judges John too quickly- she does not trust him properly.
In Act 4, Elizabeth is presented as repentant toward her own misdeeds, as shown when she tells John that 'it needs.. lechery'. By using the word 'cold', Miller links back to Abigail's initial description of Elizabeth. This parallel suggests that Elizabeth is repentant toward her actions. However, it could also suggest that Elizabeth and Abigail are more alike than we initially thought; The only difference is Elizabeth has John, and a sense of justice, not a sense of self-entitlement.
Miller presents Elizabeth as an aloof person initially, but also suggests that she is a good person. She is shown to be perceptive, yet slightly too judgmental. The use of the word 'cold' in Act 4 links back to Abigail's in Act 1, which implies the two are more alike than we first thought.

Could you please give me some feedback? Any help is appreciated
Reply 1
wow, its really good and if we are lucky then the character that may come up in the exam tomorrow may be Elizabeth and if it is her then, congratulation, to me it looks like an A/A* piece of work. well done:smile:

The probability of her coming up is high, in past papers the following characters were used in the question:
Parris
Abigail
Hale
Giles Correy
Reply 2
Thanks, but do you have any areas of improvement for me? Even nitpicks are okay, I just want to make it as good as possible.
Reply 3
you could use more references from the book you have 45 minutes per question
Reply 4
Cheers for the feedback. Do you have anything about the Putnams? I can help you if you want as well, all you have to do is ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending