The Student Room Group

Importance of AS grades

Hello..I'm currently taking my AS exams and with a lot of stupid mistakes I've done I believe my grades will be like AABB.If I take the ABB (and I should mention that they are gonna high Bs) subjects to next year and get predicted something like A*AA,will I stand a chance to get in to a good university for economics degree like University of Edinburgh ? Will these AS grades have a high impact on the decision ?
Reply 1
Original post by Mollylondon
Hello..I'm currently taking my AS exams and with a lot of stupid mistakes I've done I believe my grades will be like AABB.If I take the ABB (and I should mention that they are gonna high Bs) subjects to next year and get predicted something like A*AA,will I stand a chance to get in to a good university for economics degree like University of Edinburgh ? Will these AS grades have a high impact on the decision ?

Any university will take your AS grades into account when looking at your predicted grades. If they are significantly different, they will question whether you can make the leap. Your reference would need to give good reasons for your lower performance at AS, other than messing up on the day. If your school/college has a good reputation for not overestimating predicted grades, then this will be ok. A top university will definitely want to be sure that you can take the pace they will be setting, and their main source of information about this will be your AS grades.

You need to check the entry requirements for your chosen course. They may stipulate specific AS grades, and they may not.

Good advice would probably be that this would be a high risk uni choice. That's fine, as long as you also have some medium and low risk choices to put down as well. That way your bases are covered.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Collosopede
Any university will take your AS grades into account when looking at your predicted grades. If they are significantly different, they will question whether you can make the leap. Your reference would need to give good reasons for your lower performance at AS, other than messing up on the day. If your school/college has a good reputation for not overestimating predicted grades, then this will be ok. A top university will definitely want to be sure that you can take the pace they will be setting, and their main source of information about this will be your AS grades.

You need to check the entry requirements for your chosen course. They may stipulate specific AS grades, and they may not.

Good advice would probably be that this would be a high risk uni choice. That's fine, as long as you also have some medium and low risk choices to put down as well. That way your bases are covered.

I see your point but is there really a significant difference between A and B ? especially when if you only get a B only in one module and A in the other one so that the overall would be B ?

Thanks for the answer xx
Reply 3
Original post by Mollylondon
I see your point but is there really a significant difference between A and B ? especially when if you only get a B only in one module and A in the other one so that the overall would be B ?

Thanks for the answer xx

Whether A or B is a vital difference at AS, only a specific university could answer. It's worth contacting the admissions tutor at, say, Edinburgh - they are brilliant at getting back to you and just want to make sure you don't waste an application, but apply to them if you meet their requirements. They aren't out to trick you. They can tell you exactly what they look for and whether AS grades are key.

As to whether an A in one module and a B in another makes a B overall, I'm not an expert, but it would be don't to percentages and/or UMS, I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending