The Student Room Group

deferring entry

I am in year 12 right now, and I am planning to take a gap year, and enter university in 2006. Do I apply in 2005 and defer that application to 2006? or do I apply in 2006 instead? I'm confused right now, hope you can help.

I will be using the UCAS website to apply online. About the personal statement and open reference, do I need to type the personal statement when I apply online on the website?
Reply 1
yes, you should apply by end of this year

about the personal statement and open reference, i do not really know because i used the paper application to apply. Nevertheles, it would be better if you send it by post rather than doing it via online... just my two cents worth....

all the best
Reply 2
you can either defer your entry or you can just apply in 2006

if you are sure of what you want to do and where you want to go, then apply at the end of this year

if you have not made up you mind (well, you do have until september to do that anyway) then wait a year and apply in 2006

:smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the info people!
trev1122
I am in year 12 right now, and I am planning to take a gap year, and enter university in 2006. Do I apply in 2005 and defer that application to 2006? or do I apply in 2006 instead? I'm confused right now, hope you can help.

I will be using the UCAS website to apply online. About the personal statement and open reference, do I need to type the personal statement when I apply online on the website?

You should defer entry, i'm starting uni in 2005 and have defered entry because i'm taking a gap year. Make sure all the unis you apply to don't mind defered entry, most like it if your doing something constructive for a year but some don't like it whatever the case.

I applied electronically as well and you need to type up your personal statement.

What are you doing in your gap year?
Reply 5
iiikewldude
You should defer entry, i'm starting uni in 2005 and have defered entry because i'm taking a gap year. Make sure all the unis you apply to don't mind defered entry, most like it if your doing something constructive for a year but some don't like it whatever the case.

I applied electronically as well and you need to type up your personal statement.

What are you doing in your gap year?

Not quite sure what do for my gap year yet. I'm just in year 12, and then going to uni in 2006. I should go to uni in 2005, but I decided to take a gap year.

That means most uni's don't mind you going to uni in 2006 instead of 2005?

I will apply electronically, what is the word limit for the personal statement if i apply online?
Reply 6
trev1122

hey man thats gonna some expensive gap yr...u do realize that from 2006 u gotto pay £3k max tution fee....
U can always take a gap yr in ur life but if u take it now u'd have to pay £9 k instead of £3k
HamaL
hey man thats gonna some expensive gap yr...u do realize that from 2006 u gotto pay £3k max tution fee....
U can always take a gap yr in ur life but if u take it now u'd have to pay £9 k instead of £3k

yeah thats true.

Although they might waive the tuition fees increase for people who defer - they did it last time fees were hiked up.
trev1122
Not quite sure what do for my gap year yet. I'm just in year 12, and then going to uni in 2006. I should go to uni in 2005, but I decided to take a gap year.

That means most uni's don't mind you going to uni in 2006 instead of 2005?

I will apply electronically, what is the word limit for the personal statement if i apply online?

600 words is the limit.

And in my experience defering entry hasn't caused me any problems at all. Although at the Oxford interview they said if they weren't able to let me defer would i still consider going there.

Just phone up the unis and ask if they like gap years - they'll give you a straight forwards answer.
Reply 9
You can apply for deferred entry or you can wait another year. Or both, if you don't get the grades or change your mind. One thing to remember though, is if you're planning on spending much of your gap year abroad, delaying your application means you have to be very organised to get everything done before you go away.

Both my daughters applied for deferred entry and both changed their minds (during their gap years) about what and where they wanted to study - one as late as June for entry in September. It's a lot easier applying while still at school as you can more easily get help from your tutors. Once you've left, you have to arrange your references etc by yourself.

The good thing is that whichever way you do it, you're under less pressure. And applying after you have your grades means you'll get unconditional offers and don't have the agonies of choosing firm and insurance places.

Latest

Trending

Trending