The Student Room Group

access vs. open university?? Advice needed

Hi All,
I am wanting to get some advice/opinions on what you all consider to be the best pathway back to a full-time undergrad program.

At the moment I have just completed a level 1, 60 credit course through the Open University. I've also been accepted to the Foundation Year Program at King's College in Canada. Ultimately, I want to attend a reputable uni in the UK to study law. I'm finding that most uni's I ring aren't willing to be terribly explicit when it comes to what they would consider the most desirable qualifications for re-entry back into a top university.

So, with that in mind, what is the consensus on Access vs. OU vs. foundation years? Are there better or more reputable access courses compared to others? Any opinions or information on the matter would be greatly appreciated!!
I am taking an OU course instead of an Access course. It is a perfectly good route into university but you will need to do a lot of research. I am doing 120 credits at level 1 with the OU so I can apply to UCL in October but before I began I made sure what course/level my preferred university required. What course have you already completed? I’m not sure if doing an OU law course is a good idea, the best universities might prefer you to take humanities or social science subjects.

You should email every university you are interested in and ask whether an OU course would be acceptable for admission onto their Law programme, how many credits they require (and at which level), and what subjects they prefer (humanities, social sciences, law, a language etc). If you like a university which says yes then do the OU course, if not, find another route.
Reply 2
Thanks Samual! And what about marks for unit 1 courses through the OU? As far as I know, it's either pass or fail at level 1. My worry is applying with OU credits at level 1, I wonder how tutors will regard your academic merit with only a pass or fail to make an evaluation. Have you asked this question? I am already in the midst of going around and asking each school individually what they require/prefer as an appropriate re-entry pathway back into uni.
When I asked UCL what they required they only said a pass in 120 credits at level 1, they didn’t mention a particular percentage. I should point out that this was for a not very competitive course, for some degrees one might need a distinction (85% or higher). My OU tutor said that I can request a transcript that will show my overall performance and percentage in the module.
Reply 4
Having done an OU degree and then gone on to get funding at a brick uni for doctoral research, I think the OU 120 points at level one is a good idea. Especially if you can do well on them too. The only downside is the OU start and end dates can be problematic with the conventional uni term dates, depends how much of a hurry you are in.
Reply 5
I completed an Access Course and obtained an unconditional offer by UCL. Although I am pleased with the result, I would have completed a foundation year at UCL. The odds are more favourable for you-if by top universities your referring to Oxford or Cambridge. Thats just my opinion.

Hope it all works out the way you want it to. Good luck.
Original post by OzzieOz
I completed an Access Course and obtained an unconditional offer by UCL. Although I am pleased with the result, I would have completed a foundation year at UCL. The odds are more favourable for you-if by top universities your referring to Oxford or Cambridge. Thats just my opinion.

Hope it all works out the way you want it to. Good luck.

UCL's foundation course is really for international students whose first language is not English. Plus it is very expensive and there is no guarantee of progressing onto a degree programme, so with that in mind I don't think it is a very good option for students considering an Access course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for all the opinons/advice! I might actually do the Access to Law at Birkbeck as I heard from both UCL and Oxford that students have been accepted from that course. As the Access course is only one year and only meets twice a week, I think I might also continue a further 60 credits through the OU too! Why not do both? Hopefully is will make for a more competitive application.
Original post by Perks25
Thanks for all the opinons/advice! I might actually do the Access to Law at Birkbeck as I heard from both UCL and Oxford that students have been accepted from that course. As the Access course is only one year and only meets twice a week, I think I might also continue a further 60 credits through the OU too! Why not do both? Hopefully is will make for a more competitive application.

Do you mean the CertHE in Legal Methods at Birkbeck? I'm sure a few people on this forum have done that course. I remember someone who did it got into Oxford a few years ago. Seems like a good option, good luck. :smile:
Reply 9
The Open University is a well-respected instution, which has created a name for itself. I know the law degree is quite respected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending