The Student Room Group

Plagiarism

Heyy

So my boyfriend is completing his final year of A levels and hopes to move onto uni next year. He is currently studying applied ICT, by the AQA exam board, and he has come into some trouble. The sixth form hes studying at is far from supportive, and they basically just gave the students the official AQA "exemplar" piece of work and told them to use it to create their own. He did this and produced a document around 200 pages long, per unit, with great help from the exemplar.

The school, after 4 times of marking his work, have now decided this is plagiarism. They've said he can either withdraw the CW (and fail this A level) or he can submit it with a statement about his plagiarism. I just wondered whether people thought this was actually plagiarism or not and what the procedure was for it. Like will he find out before results day or just be shocked on the day.

Also all of his exams are with AQA so their plagiarism rules state that all of his exams could be cancelled and taken away too.

Thanks for any help! I hope I've explained it clearly.
I would say that you go with the statement option. And write that this was under the sixth forms instructions, and that (only if he actually did) he used it for 'inspiration', and areas to cover and did not directly steal from them resource.

Cover the fact that he has not done similar in any other exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Afcwimbledon2
I would say that you go with the statement option. And write that this was under the sixth forms instructions, and that (only if he actually did) he used it for 'inspiration', and areas to cover and did not directly steal from them resource.

Cover the fact that he has not done similar in any other exam.

That's what he's chosen I think, the school is heavily pressuring him to simply withdraw the coursework in order to cover their reputation, which is annoying.

I think he's included that, but the problem is that he used them for every single unit in this subject. So he did it six times basically, simply because he was given no other guidance about it.
Original post by lifeisred
That's what he's chosen I think, the school is heavily pressuring him to simply withdraw the coursework in order to cover their reputation, which is annoying.

I think he's included that, but the problem is that he used them for every single unit in this subject. So he did it six times basically, simply because he was given no other guidance about it.

It's what I would do.

To be honest, if I had the choice of failing my A-Levels because of the school, and not telling anyone, and failing my A-Levels because of the school, and causing trouble in the school too - guess what I'd pick :wink:
Reply 4
If he references the examplar properly (in-text references and as a Bibliography reference in full at the end) then it's not technically plagiarism, although it sounds like his school have already been very rigorous in working out what he's done. He might be able to remedy this by providing the requested statement and then referencing his work properly.

He'll need to go through his work in detail and put a page reference to the exemplar after each sentence that he's paraphrased. If he's actually done something as daft as cut & paste or directly copied, then he'll need to lay these sections out so that it's obvious that they are direct quotes and not his writing - maybe as an indented paragraph, in italics, contained within quotation marks and followed by the appropriate in-text reference.

Even if he does this, if he's used the exemplar very extensively, then he may not have enough original material remaining to pass the work.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
If he references the examplar properly (in-text references and as a Bibliography reference in full at the end) then it's not technically plagiarism, although it sounds like his school have already been very rigorous in working out what he's done. He might be able to remedy this by providing the requested statement and then referencing his work properly.

He'll need to go through his work in detail and put a page reference to the exemplar after each sentence that he's paraphrased. If he's actually done something as daft as cut & paste or directly copied, then he'll need to lay these sections out so that it's obvious that they are direct quotes and not his writing - maybe as an indented paragraph, in italics, contained within quotation marks and followed by the appropriate in-text reference.

Even if he does this, if he's used the exemplar very extensively, then he may not have enough original material remaining to pass the work.

That would be a great idea but they're not actually letting him do anything to the coursework before submission now, otherwise he'd have altered it and probably removed the plagiarism anyway. Also he used the exemplar for all of his work so unless he references almost every sentence, which would be ridiculous, he's going to be stuck. I hate his school for not flagging this up when he first handed it in in October, rather than last week :/
Reply 6
Also he used the exemplar for all of his work so unless he references almost every sentence, which would be ridiculous, he's going to be stuck.

It's a harsh lesson, but when you turn in a piece of work which is essentially copied, there's always the risk of being found out. The consequences are logical I'm afraid. They'd be far worse at uni, so best to take the hit now and learn the lesson.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
It's a harsh lesson, but when you turn in a piece of work which is essentially copied, there's always the risk of being found out. The consequences are logical I'm afraid. They'd be far worse at uni, so best to take the hit now and learn the lesson.

I completely understand, being at uni myself. My point is, if you are instructed by a teacher to do a certain thing in order to get the grade, that it what you would do. Because you assume that the teacher is telling you the correct thing. However him, and half of his ICT class are now in jeopardy, and most of them will not get into uni, purely because the school told them to do something ridiculous. I just wondered what was best for him to do, since essentially, it's not his fault, just like it isn't the fault of the other 10 people in his class.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I completely understand, being at uni myself. My point is, if you are instructed by a teacher to do a certain thing in order to get the grade, that it what you would do. Because you assume that the teacher is telling you the correct thing. However him, and half of his ICT class are now in jeopardy, and most of them will not get into uni, purely because the school told them to do something ridiculous. I just wondered what was best for him to do, since essentially, it's not his fault, just like it isn't the fault of the other 10 people in his class.

I can't understand how a guaranteed fail could better than writing a statement.
Are there none of his own words in it at all?
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup
I can't understand how a guaranteed fail could better than writing a statement.
Are there none of his own words in it at all?

Me neither, but the school want him to fail so they don't get in trouble for it. It's all his own words, but he basically just reworded what the candidates work said, because that's what he was told to do. I just wanna know if he will have to wait until results day to see what decisions been made, or if he will find out beforehand so it's not so much of a blow on the day :/

Quick Reply

Latest