The Student Room Group

What is the longest and furthest you would do an LDR for?

Scroll to see replies

I had a long distance relationship for around 18 months, we were about a 3 hour train journey away and the drive could take anywhere between under under 3 hours and 4 and a half hours (he used to drive up on friday nights and it was almost always horrible traffic).

I'm sure that it's my limit now, I wouldn't do it again at that distance, it's just too expensive and I really hated going so long without seeing each other, yes the moment you see your partner after not for a while is lovely, but for me, the worst part of it was on a Saturday night, after a nice day together and going to be and realising tomorrow I'd have to say goodbye for the week at least, sometimes more depending on money.

I didn't enter into it knowing it would be long distance, and I wouldn't have. He got a job opportunity he couldn't really pass up, I tried living there but I didn't like it and I couldn't find a job so came home, and we managed 18 months long distance after that, before he got a job and was able to move back here which is where we're both from. I'd live apart again if we absolutely have too but we'd both want to make sure it's closer than we were then, or easier/cheaper to get there.
The distance doesn't matter as much as the time. I don't think i would stay in it for 4/5 years of uni.
Reply 22
Original post by _char
I suppose its easy to say how far you'd be willing to accept if its just hypothetical, but say you actually fall in love with someone far away that could completely turn what you said before on its head. I'm an hour and a half train journey from my boyfriend right now which feels pretty short when I read how far other people have to travel, but next year he'll be moving abroad to Germany for a work placement. Either way, I'm still going to not give up and we'll make it work ^^

I agree with this. I always said I wouldn't do an LDR but then I met my boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Wow, that's ages! How long would you say is the maximum you'd have pursued the relationship with this distance?

A couple years - I'm not a hundred percent sure how many, just as long as there was an end date in sight. Anything more than two and a half years seems excessive to me, and I'd have found a way to move by then. If one person isn't willing to close the distance in that kind of time frame, it doesn't seem worth it to me.
Reply 24
Well until you aren't in that position you just can't say.
I'd swim over oceans and fly over continents just to be with my gf because the feeling that I get by being with her just can't be matched.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done:
3 years of 3 hours by train

To go:
2 months of trans-atlantic
june-august 2013

4 months of 1 hr by train

1 year of 10 mins drive away

Then living together. Woohoo!
Reply 26
Given my lack of faith in long distance relationships i'll say living in Leeds that any further than Manchester, Sheffield or York would probably be too far. If i can't see my girl a few times a week then i see little point in the relationship.
I'm doing a 6 hour train or 10 hour coach journey LDR now. I'm prepared to do it for another 2 years (3 at a massive push) for university but after that one of us is going to have to move. I'd prefer to only do it for another year though but I love him so I'm going to try and persevere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending