Mistrykid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can't seem to find a specific cold environments thread so I'll make this
We can discuss tips and possible case studies here. I'm thinking of using Antartica, the Arctic, Lake District, Ireland and possibly the Alps. I'm also thinking of including some random glaciers found around the world. What's everyone else thinking of doing?

What did everyone think of the pre-release?
daalchaval
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey had your teacher given you any possible questions they can ask us? if so can you give them and il give you mine
priyaagarwal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My teacher has been so unhelpful for this
erinoconnor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The case studies i'm using for this are:

ACTIVE

alpine: Southern Alps, New Zealand
polar: Iceland (not really polar but still can count) and Antarctica
periglacial: Mackenzie Delta, Canada

RELICT

upland: Easedale Tarn, Lake District
lowland: Borrowdale Valley, Lake District
periglacial: Devon and Norfolk
daalchaval
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
erinonconnor what questions do you think can come up? from what iv seen normally the actual exam question is simply reworded pre release. has your teacher given you any sort of possible questions they can ask? do you think they can possibly ask us just geomorphological processes or JUST climatic? same goes for glacial and perglacial environments
A2_scared
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

my teacher reckons that the question will be about assessing the different roles by both climatic and geomorphological processes

Anyone else?

Bit confused as to how to revise... im just revising definitions, the different processes and methodology?
daalchaval
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by A2_scared)
Hi,

my teacher reckons that the question will be about assessing the different roles by both climatic and geomorphological processes

Anyone else?

Bit confused as to how to revise... im just revising definitions, the different processes and methodology?
do you think they can ask us something specific like JUST periglacial or JUST glacial enviroments? so you think the question will be reworded pre release. so the whole thing?
A2_scared
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by daalchaval)
do you think they can ask us something specific like JUST periglacial or JUST glacial enviroments? so you think the question will be reworded pre release. so the whole thing?
I'm not sure.. I'm revising for the whole thing but also enough that if just periglacial comes up then i can explain that perfectly also..
daalchaval
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by A2_scared)
I'm not sure.. I'm revising for the whole thing but also enough that if just periglacial comes up then i can explain that perfectly also..
did your teachers say anything regarding that? was the general feeling that the whole thing will come up so we only pick out the most significant points.
A2_scared
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by daalchaval)
did your teachers say anything regarding that? was the general feeling that the whole thing will come up so we only pick out the most significant points.
No but I very much doubt that there will be a question on just periglaciation, etc... I've learnt all the significant points of different climatic processes, different geomorphological processes and case studies for different locations

Posted from TSR Mobile
moon.fly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you going to use sub conclusions in your reports? My teacher said its not necessary if you stay focused on the question but "ongoing evaluation" is specifically listed in the marksheme for 12-15 marks in conclusions and evaluation section
So confused
A2_scared
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by moon.fly)
Are you going to use sub conclusions in your reports? My teacher said its not necessary if you stay focused on the question but "ongoing evaluation" is specifically listed in the marksheme for 12-15 marks in conclusions and evaluation section
So confused
Yes but only because this is the way that I've been taught to do it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vanjiieeeeeee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can someone please help me with the final conclusion and evaluation? I dont know how to structure it or what to write and im kind of freaking out...
IzziLowe
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
my teacher said they'd probably use 'assess...', 'explain...' or 'discuss....' and then the pre release worded slightly differently. he also said that living and working are really important as they come up in both the explore and research sections
IzziLowe
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are people thinking for the their diagram in the introduction? Some have said continuums? Weird question to do maps and the usual....
mads99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My teacher is saying we should still do a map in the intro! But i'm struggling to see how it would be relevant with living and working

(Original post by IzziLowe)
What are people thinking for the their diagram in the introduction? Some have said continuums? Weird question to do maps and the usual....
kikia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anybody have any help with 'challenges and opportunities' of living and working in any RELICT areas? Examples???? And how to integrate it into the report...
DanniPee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Relict areas include Snowdonia, Wales Living: part of an MEDC (Wales) so living standards are high with infrastructure and services available. However, a lack of youth opportunities means the area suffers from an increasing amount of 'Brain Drain' (youth migration). Also there's is a high percentage of second home owners perhaps because the area isn't seen as thriving so older people choose to visit here instide of places with active processes (I.e skiing where younger, fitter people are likely to be)Working: Being part of a relict environment means ice is no longer present and so resources have been available for extraction for many years. This means there is less of an opportunity to focuse on oil and gas exploitation as stores are mostly depleted. Adding to this - tourism has decline in the area by a million visitors per year since 2012 (maybe this is because the area isn't active anymore so seen as less excited to visit as an active alpine area where skiing/ mountain biking/ climbing is available). Finally, due to depleting resources and a declining tourist industry- locals are forced to rely on subsistent farming which isn't what you'd expect from a region part of an MEDC (the U.K.) Hope this helps!
kikia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DanniPee)
Relict areas include Snowdonia, Wales Living: part of an MEDC (Wales) so living standards are high with infrastructure and services available. However, a lack of youth opportunities means the area suffers from an increasing amount of 'Brain Drain' (youth migration). Also there's is a high percentage of second home owners perhaps because the area isn't seen as thriving so older people choose to visit here instide of places with active processes (I.e skiing where younger, fitter people are likely to be)Working: Being part of a relict environment means ice is no longer present and so resources have been available for extraction for many years. This means there is less of an opportunity to focuse on oil and gas exploitation as stores are mostly depleted. Adding to this - tourism has decline in the area by a million visitors per year since 2012 (maybe this is because the area isn't active anymore so seen as less excited to visit as an active alpine area where skiing/ mountain biking/ climbing is available). Finally, due to depleting resources and a declining tourist industry- locals are forced to rely on subsistent farming which isn't what you'd expect from a region part of an MEDC (the U.K.) Hope this helps!
Thank you SO much, this is sooo helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Cambridge & Chelmsford Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery, Operating Department Practice and Paramedic courses - Stafford campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (60)
18.4%
Unconditional if firmed (25)
7.67%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.61%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (11)
3.37%
No unconditional offers (228)
69.94%

Watched Threads