The Student Room Group

HIS3G British State and the People - AQA - 3rd June 2013

Hi all,

I couldn't see a thread for this anywhere so figured that I would make one.

So what sort of things are you revising for / hoping will come up? Our teachers seem to think that a question on the labour movement is likely.

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm taking this paper too!
Looking at past exam papers nothing has come up on the labour movements or the liberal government 1906-1914 in a while so my class think that questions on those two areas are a big possibility!

How are you revising for the exam? There seems to be so much content!
Reply 2
I was hoping for a 50 year Labour movement question - not sure what other new 50 year questions they ask, unless they ask similar ones to previous years.

I was also thinking there may be something on Gladstone's / Disraeli's foreign policy as well, or maybe early Irish policy? They have asked less on the early period in recent years, and there was nothing on foreign policy last year.

I'm mainly reading the textbook and writing essay plans for different types of questions - in particular for the 50 year question there are only so many things they can ask about, so hopefully will make it a bit easier in the exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm hoping a labour question will come up as well. My teacher seemed to really pushed the run up to ww1 and the reasons why Britain got involved before we left!

A question on the earlier period would be quite nice; there's plenty to talk about and a comparison of Gladstone and Disraeli's policies always makes for an interesting debate!

I've been told that the AQA book is no good for the actual exam, simply due to the lack of detail and examples. There's several pages devoted to the Fenian movement in the textbook yet they hardly ever feature on the mark schemes since they're out of our period.
Reply 4
I've been told the exact same thing about the Labour movement and the late liberal period because they haven't been mentioned in previous paper, will certainly revise them heavily. In terms of revision I have been reading through my books heavily and practicing the timing of the essays (need to make sure I get enough down for both on the day).

In terms of the official text book I agree on the lack of detail, but I actually bought it alongside my class's book (which is FULL of detail) because I've found the amount to learn really tough! The AQA book is perfect for putting things into context and giving a general sweep of the period. Felt a bit overwhelmed by the amount we had to learn before that, still do a bit now :frown:
Reply 5
We were given a question on why Britain went to war too - it actually was a really nice question, so would be good if it came up! Our teacher also thought that a narrow question on the Boer war was possible as well.

Out of interest if we were given a question comparing Gladstone's and Disraeli's foreign policy how would you structure it? Eg would you split it into their involvement in countries / continents or their motives etc?

I was mainly using the textbook in the hope that they won't ask about anything which isn't in there, although yeah it doesn't cover everything in much detail. Fortunately we were given some extended notes by our teacher as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
My teacher thinks the most likely questions are the Labour Movement, challenges to Liberalism

But also, she thinks it might be the Eastern Question
Reply 7
Hi,

So it is the night before the exam. Been revising like crazy up until today, though I would have an early night but guess that didnt plan out. Hope everyone will do well tomorrow, and lets hope for a Labour Question! :smile:
Reply 8
how did everyone find the exam? which questions did everyone do?
Reply 9
I did question 2 and 3 and found it ok!
Reply 10
Original post by gdickinson
I did question 2 and 3 and found it ok!

i did the same two questions.

for question 3 did you compare attitudes/composition of liberal party in 1865 and 1915 ie. new lib/old lib; free trade etc or did you write across the whole period about liberals?
im really worried i misinterpreted the question for question 3!
Reply 11
Did anyone else do question 1?

What did people put for question 2?
Reply 12
Original post by dieexams
Did anyone else do question 1?

What did people put for question 2?

for question 2 i was like
salisbury leadership effective in keeping unionist support
salisbury effective leadership in appealing to electorate- working class, middle-class (primrose league, villa toryism), mentioned balfour and constructive unionism and also imperialism, mentioned disraeli impact before his death
organisation under richard middleton important
balfour ineffective leadership and effective leadership of c-bannerman meant lost conserv dominance
liebral weaknesses- split over ireland/one-issue party

what did everyone else put for q2?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ABCstudent
for question 2 i was like
salisbury leadership effective in keeping unionist support
salisbury effective leadership in appealing to electorate- working class, middle-class (primrose league, villa toryism), mentioned balfour and constructive unionism and also imperialism, mentioned disraeli impact before his death
organisation under richard middleton important
balfour ineffective leadership and effective leadership of c-bannerman meant lost conserv dominance
liebral weaknesses- split over ireland/one-issue party

what did everyone else put for q2?

I wrote about salisburys effective leadership (labour reforms etc education act domestic reforms - appointing balfour who dealt well with ireland, lib unionst pact, speaking at primrose league, low gov spending to attract support etc.)

then about balfour and his ineffective leadership, which led to liberal landslide

and then about other reasons such as lib divide, disraeli, 3rd reform act

Anyone who answered the 1st question get at me!!
Reply 14
For question 3 I put the same near enough I mentioned laissez faire and state intervention. How Gladstone influenced free trade peace reform and retrenchment, i also explained about the liberals of 1906 and how they had changed to become more responsible in society i.e welfare state and old age pensions. I also mentioned the way the liberals handled society before the war by becoming more controlling over state intervention by the use of conscription and propaganda.
Reply 15
For question 3 I put the same near enough I mentioned laissez faire and state intervention. How Gladstone influenced free trade peace reform and retrenchment, i also explained about the liberals of 1906 and how they had changed to become more responsible in society i.e welfare state and old age pensions. I also mentioned the way the liberals handled society before the war by becoming more controlling over state intervention by the use of conscription and propaganda.

i didn't talk about the change/continuity in liberal attitudes towards foreign policy or ireland and im really upset about this cos im guessing this was meant to be a massive element of the question? :frown: how many paragraphs did you write?

i dont know how much not including foreign policy/ireland will cost me but as it was a very unfamiliar sort of format for a question so im hoping they will be more leniant ie positive not negative marking?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
i put a bit of ireland in but not foreign policy in! However I still think we will get credited for what we put in, from the change of gladstonian liberalism, also I included labour ? This could perhaps give me a bit of credit I dont know?
Reply 17
did question 3 quote "liberal policies" or "liberal party"
Reply 18
Original post by ABCstudent
i didn't talk about the change/continuity in liberal attitudes towards foreign policy or ireland and im really upset about this cos im guessing this was meant to be a massive element of the question? :frown: how many paragraphs did you write?

i dont know how much not including foreign policy/ireland will cost me but as it was a very unfamiliar sort of format for a question so im hoping they will be more leniant ie positive not negative marking?

did question 3 say liberal party or liberal policies
Reply 19
did question 3 say liberal party or liberal policies

It said liberal party not policies don't worry sorry I'm not meaning to worry you.

The reason I said about foreign policy was just because some ppl I talked to said they split their essay up into lib attitudes towards foreign policy, Ireland, parliament stuff and then domestic/social (new lib/old lib)

My paragraphs were only based on how the lib parties attitudes towards domestic issues were ie laissez faire free trade democracy. And a bit about how it was more middle-class

I just worry that i might have missed out a massive chunk that will look bad compared to other peoples. But cos the question is quite different to other types ( quite unusual) seen maybe they will allow ppl to interpret it differently? I hope so cos I worked so hard for hist this year and for my uni offer I can't let this ruin my grade :frown:

Sorry for this ramble
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending